The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-19-2010, 09:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
You, your family are welcome any time. Neil comes by late I usually take a nap the nights he can make it. Kurt is probably over run with college scholars lol
Vegan Chinese noodles right?
Kurt, with his infinite wisdom, is wise enough to stay out of a shop where the rest of us would be.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
You, your family are welcome any time. Neil comes by late I usually take a nap the nights he can make it. Kurt is probably over run with college scholars lol
Vegan Chinese noodles right?
Sorry about that. I'd get there at 6 if I didn't think I'd get the stinkeye from my wife.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Man I had fun. 1- I read the first build beginning to end. It helped me stay out of a few dark alleys lol. I put on (radiused) the X brace. I left it full size and only made the x. It was much easier to mount. And it was fun shaving the brace down and hearing the tap tone wake up.

Some older pix I just got uploaded; Back braces

Losing weight!

The Kerfing is in. Sunday to close the box??????
Old 08-20-2010, 03:44 PM

Awesome!

Jsut from a photo-geekerey side, I love the composition of your third pic. The DOF on the last pic is cool too.. just narrow enough to keep focus on the guitar, just wide enough to show the cool vibe of the shop.

Oh, and the guitar is looking great

Last edited by jrm; 08-20-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:48 PM

Man - I'm jealous! I can't wait to get to that point on my build. You're really moving FAST on this one too.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:17 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

.010 Osage Orange Bridgeplate installed
Kid fishing tournament then the rest of the braces get set Vroom Vroom!
Old 08-21-2010, 09:04 AM

Yes, the third picture (and the fifth one, too) are particularly nice -- great design, the lighting worked out, as tasteful and aesthetic as I would expect from you, John. But what's this? Are there TWO pairs of eyeglasses in that third image? Are we at a point where we need trifocals, perhaps?!? Or do you just keep two pairs around at all times because, like me, you know you're doomed to misplace one pair?!?
Old 08-21-2010, 10:21 AM

Hehe - that's because he loses them, along with clamps and pencils and scrap wood for spacing, etc. etc...

Yeah, YJ's like the Nutty Perfesser at work - but part of that may be because I keep him up too late. In that case mea culpa. mea culpa
Old 08-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Yes, the third picture (and the fifth one, too) are particularly nice -- great design, the lighting worked out, as tasteful and aesthetic as I would expect from you, John. But what's this? Are there TWO pairs of eyeglasses in that third image? Are we at a point where we need trifocals, perhaps?!? Or do you just keep two pairs around at all times because, like me, you know you're doomed to misplace one pair?!?
One pair is 1.25 so I can see the lines on 1/64, 1/128 and such. The other pair are 3.50! I use those for macro detail, can't see past 2" with those!

The photo's are posting with dead spots in them for me. Are they full to you guys? Lately Photobucket down loads here have been extra tricky
Old 08-22-2010, 05:54 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Hmmm. I was gonna build it backwards again! I managed to put on my Laminated neck block upside down. The neck block I used was pre-made out of thin layers of rock! OK Maple. I had to drill holes all through the block then beat and scrape it off with chisels. Neil walked in as I was wrapping up the de-construction. He got no chance to cry about having to redo his stencil lol.
I loosened - no - I exposed weak points in my Kerfing and had to reglue a spot. I put in a "traditional" Mahogany neck block and moved on. I have all but 3 braces in. I might get the top on today. Not gonna rush her.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:44 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHH HHHHHHHHH

I put the second neck block on crooked! Slight but crooked! So I figured I would try spritzing water (Titebond glue) and use a uber thinned Plaster knife thingy I made.
I went slow, careful, added some heat.It went great right up intil I went through my Sycamore side! Looks like a Gibson SJish heel! Wide.
I glued the slash. I am going for a walk.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GHHHHHHH
Old 08-22-2010, 01:06 PM

OMG dude. I was just noting how nice that sycamore looked too. How bad's the crack? Is it a gash or just a "key crack?"

On the bright side, if you can fix it it shouldn't be too noticeable and will be stronger than the original.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

The slice was on an angle so the cut "feathered". It was nasty. about an inch wide. It glued down to close to invisible. Like I said a wide heel will cover most of it.
The 3rd block is in! I locked that bad boy down like Hannibal Lector.
PLEASE be right!
The rest of the Top braces are in also.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:15 PM

*phew!*

I guess Number Three should go without a hitch, eh? You're scarin' me though, dude!

Tell me: did that solve the little problem you were having with the angle on the heel - or was that the whole issue today?
Old 08-23-2010, 06:19 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Well, even though yesterday started off bad with the neck block incedent I got a bunch done.
After putting in the 3rd neck block I started cutting my neck. Three layers of maple make you feel like a stone mason. The band saw worked fine for ¾ of it and decided it needed to harass me. Ridged Band Saws shake parts loose! There I said it. I want a Grizzly!!!!
After adjusting and poking around for a half hour I decided to move on to something else. I'll figure it out.
So I cut out, shaped, sanded from 80 to 12,000 grit in steps and came up with a stunning Bridge made from a very cool piece of B&W Ebony . Then I traced/located my frets for my fret board, also B&W Ebony. After a few minutes of adjusting I hand sawed the fret slots with a Stew Mac Fret saw Guide. It adjusts to stop the saw at a fixed/set height. You will see in the pictures were I was pounding in chunks of fret wire into test slots to measure depth. 21 fret slots into ebony is not a day job I want to pursue! Looks like I did it right. Time will tell. Sat the fret board off to the side till the neck is done.
Then I put the final top tone bars/braces into place with glue and a Gobar deck.
This morning I will attempt Voicing. I have tone bars to shave down. With four still in "block form the top tone is sharp with quick fall off. Today is another day in the shop. Lets see what kinda trouble I can get into today
Pictures are coming. Card reader is dead. Me and machines, sheesh!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair