The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-20-2016, 12:36 PM

Default Suire Jazzmaster bridge pickup question.

I have a Squire Jazzmaster I bought used but notice that when I switch to the bridge pickup , the volume drops WAY down , which I'm assuming it shouldn't. All other modes seem good but I'm assuming because of the neck pickup , which seems good.

Any ideas as to what to look for to remedy this problem?

Txs
Old 08-20-2016, 03:47 PM

Do you have a multimeter?

Generally, we had few problems with bad solder joints on Squier pickups, but bad joints on the switches were common.

Since the other pickup seems fine, we can reasonably assume that the problem is at the switch or before. You could use a meter to check the resistance of the bridge pickup and the resistance between the poles of the pickup.

Without being there, my bet would be a faulty switch, then a bad solder joint on the pickup, or at the bridge pu's switch connection, or a short between the bridge pu's hot and ground.

Good Luck! Bill.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:14 PM

How high are the two pickups set? Jazzmaster neck pickups have a lot of bass. If they're set too high relative to the bridge pickup, there's no way to avoid a big drop off switching to the bridge. A lot of people crank the bridge pickup really high and then lower the neck pickup until the output roughly matches.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars