The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-19-2015, 03:04 PM

Default Fair price for used Blackbird Lucky 13?

I'm pondering the purchase of a used 2014 Lucky 13 with factory pickup that appears to be in immaculate condition based on pictures and sellers description. It's the new voicing with the additional sound port. The sellers original asking price was $1850 which seemed high to me. I offered $1650. He's countered at $1750. Should I go for it or save up for a new one with the benefit of a warrantee?
Old 09-19-2015, 04:05 PM

$1850 is way too high IMHO for a used guitar with a new price of $1935, I'd buy the new one unless you can get the used guitar for $1300 ish. Of course if you can't wait and there aren't any new ones around....... see below......

Or you could consider an Emerald X7, slightly smaller but also a fair bit cheaper than the Lucky 13, starting at €795 (inc 23% VAT in Europe) for the Opus series without a pickup (and I'd buy without and fit a JJB). Being impatient I bought an X7 Artisan from a UK shop who had one on stock. Mine has a B-Band UST fitted, which is okay and I'd decided the compromise was justified to avoid the 4 month wait for a built to order guitar. The sound, looks and build quality are simply stunning and at €1195 (£850 at the time) it is fantastic value for money. Given unlimited time and funds I might have ordered a slimmer C shape neck with a 25" scale length and a different pickup system but the stock guitar is 98% there for me and it's become my go-to acoustic.

Last edited by sam.spoons; 09-19-2015 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:20 PM

Sent you email. Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 09-19-2015, 05:06 PM

$1,935. new is w/out pick up. I bought mine used w K&K installed for less than $1700. As far as warrantee they're fairly indestructible so I wouldn't be too concerned about that. Price quoted you is a little high.

Blackbird Lucky 13
Old 09-19-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrunner View Post
I'm pondering the purchase of a used 2014 Lucky 13 with factory pickup that appears to be in immaculate condition based on pictures and sellers description. It's the new voicing with the additional sound port. The sellers original asking price was $1850 which seemed high to me. I offered $1650. He's countered at $1750. Should I go for it or save up for a new one with the benefit of a warrantee?
Generally a 20% discount from normal street price is considered fair for a used guitar in mint condition, however, finding a used Lucky 13 isn't all that easy. That with the fact that they are indestructible for the most part mean you will pay a premium for used Lucky 13. New this model is $2135, so a used one for $1750 is quite fair IMO.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Generally a 20% discount from normal street price is considered fair for a used guitar in mint condition, however, finding a used Lucky 13 isn't all that easy. That with the fact that they are indestructible for the most part mean you will pay a premium for used Lucky 13. New this model is $2135, so a used one for $1750 is quite fair IMO.
According to loads of AGF conventional wisdom, used guitars are valued at 60% of retail value (barring custom or vintage). Just one of the reasons being you do not get the warranty.

Why should one pay more then 60% for any standard guitar ( I realize this is not a standard guitar, as you mentioned). In the end, it is worth what someone is willing to spend on it. Don't mean to be antagonistic but 20% for a used guitar in great condition seems to contradict much or what I read on the subject of used guitars.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 09-19-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
According to loads of AGF conventional wisdom, used guitars are valued at 60% of retail value (barring custom or vintage). Just one of the reasons being you do not get the warranty.
No accoriding to loads of AGF conventional wisdom, used guitars are valued at 60% of MAP, not retail street value.

80% of retail street price is about right for a used instrument in excellent condition. Some brands (Breedlove, Larrivee) will be a bit less.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-19-2015, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
No accoriding to loads of AGF conventional wisdom, used guitars are valued at 60% of MAP, not retail street value.

80% of retail street price is about right for a used instrument in excellent condition. Some brands (Breedlove, Larrivee) will be a bit less.
Hey AZliberty, I just did a goggle search for "used guitar price AGF" and there were several older threads that came up. So, it might not be relitive to current prices. There was no one consistant view point and some threads got a little heated (hope that does not happen here) I would say it was almost an even split, some say 60 off of street price, and some say 60 off of MAP. And it is on the Internet so it must be true.

I guess it depends on the guitar. Martins have always retained a good resale value, Taylor's not as much. I can see why The lucky 13 might demand a higher resale value. But we are In a buyers market, good for buyers, tuff time for sellers of used gear.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 09-19-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:

Why should one pay more then 60% for any standard guitar ( I realize this is not a standard guitar, as you mentioned). In the end, it is worth what someone is willing to spend on it. Don't mean to be antagonistic but 20% for a used guitar in great condition seems to contradict much or what I read on the subject of used guitars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post

Quote:
Hey AZliberty, I just did a goggle search for "used guitar price AGF" and there were several older threads that came up. So, it might not be relitive to current prices. There was no one consistant view point and some threads got a little heated (hope that does not happen here) I would say it was almost an even split, some say 60 off of street price, and some say 60 off of MAP. And it is on the Internet so it must be true.

I guess it depends on the guitar. Martins have always retained a good resale value, Taylor's not as much. I can see why The lucky 13 might demand a higher resale value. But we are In a buyers market, good for buyers, tuff time for sellers of used gear.
Hey guys,

List/retail on a Blackbird Lucky 13 is just shy of $3000, which would put 60% of list at around $1800. 60% of list also works for other boutique guitars like Collings, SCGC, and so forth. For mass produced guitars like Gibson, Taylor and Martin, 50% of list is more in line with fair market, but only if the model is still being made, and readily available. Otherwise all bets are off.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:38 AM

The OP doesn't mention if it's a private sale or a shop. I wouldn't want to pay much more than 50% of street for a private used guitar unless there was something very special about it. From a dealer I'd still hope for around 2/3rds of new. That's how it used to work in the UK, a dealer would offer less than half on a trade so he could then make his 50% margin on resale at around 70% of retail. Private sales are very much ruled by 'caveat emptor' and you have little comeback if your purchase proves bad in some way. With a shop you have recourse to the 'sale of goods act' and your local trading standards guys. Also the shop has to cover VAT on any profit they make (I'm not sure how that works these days but back when I was in retail we only paid VAT on the profit we made on used instruments not the whole sale price which seems fair as we couldn't claim back the VAT on the cost price).

With the advent of feebay prices on used seem to have risen (though not usually when you're selling )
Old 09-20-2015, 01:09 PM

Ted has very generously shared his expertise in regard to these things, so that should go a long way o the OP doing what he thinks is best.
For my part, I actually stumbled upon the guitar in question while doing some searching for Blackbird-related info last evening, and I say, based on emotion and outlook on life, that the OP shouldn't keep 100.00 from his buying a guitar that he is truly interested in and that might bring him a great deal of joy.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

I recently sold a near new L13 with a K&K installed and mother of pearl saddle for $1,700. IMO, $1,750 with factory electronics is a fair deal.

Mitch
Old 09-20-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkatz View Post
I recently sold a near new L13 with a K&K installed and mother of pearl saddle for $1,700. IMO, $1,750 with factory electronics is a fair deal.

Mitch
If you don't mind me asking, why did you sell it?
Old 09-21-2015, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
If you don't mind me asking, why did you sell it?
I got a very good deal on it pre-owned and figured it was worth trying out but it just wasn't a right fit for me. I have a Blackbird Rider which I love and thought I would like the L13 as well.

Mitch

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber