The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-05-2015, 02:13 AM

Default Rainsong Smokey SMH review

Longtime reader, first time poster here.

I bought a Rainsong Smokey SMH guitar last week - my first non-wood guitar. A few impressions:
  • The guitar is amazingly resonant. Way warmer-sounding than the Taylor I got rid of earlier this year.
  • The black plastic-coated strings sound somewhat muffled compared to non-coated strings, as other reviewers have said - especially the low E. And yet the guitar as a whole feels and sounds good, especially when you strum chords. The showbiz aspect of the black strings on the black fingerboard can't be denied. I may want to continue using these strings, if I perform with this thing.
  • The Baggs pickup/preamp sounds good, though I haven't tried it into a legit PA yet. A very hot signal - you don't need much volume on the slider to get it to feed back.
  • The instructions say to clean the guitar after every use. Really? Do I have to? I clean my other guitars only when I change strings, and they look great.
  • Might a pickguard be necessary? The way I play, my pick doesn't get anywhere near the guitar top, but my right-hand fingers do brush against the top. I've brushed a glossy spot onto the satin-finished top of my mandolin, just with my finger tips. I could see this happening on this guitar, too - already I see a glossy area forming. Maybe I shouldn't worry - this is indestructible high-tech material, right?
  • The case is way protective - even has a combination lock, which I'm afraid to mess with for fear of locking myself out. I'd much prefer a rugged gig bag to this heavy, bulky case.
  • The strings rest against the truss rod cover - no getting around it.
  • A big neck but it feels OK. The proportions of the 12-fret neck and thick body take a bit of getting used to for a 14-fret 000-size player like myself.
  • Nice action, though I wish the high E string were about 1/32 inch higher than it is - I can make it buzz easier than the other strings. Will this thing take mediums?

Despite the quibbles, this is an acoustically loud, nice-sounding, nice-playing guitar. And I can leave it out all winter without humidifying! This was a definite selling point for me.

Two thumbs up.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:16 AM

I got one coming in from L.A. Guitar Sales next week and I can't wait. This is going to be my first CF guitar as well. Based on reading countless reviews on graphites, I was leaning toward RainSongs and was debating between the Shorty SG and the Smokey; I love the satin blacked out look but since it's new there are not a lot of reviews. I talked to Ted over the phone and he convinced me to get the SMHX. I trust his recommendation due to his reputation here on the forum. I have to admit my expectations are pretty high but I'm sure I will be satisfied. I will make a full review as well after I play live and do some recording with it.

Also, how does fingerpicking and flatpicking sound?
Old 10-24-2015, 11:40 AM
Guest 928

Congratulations on a fine guitar. I think you are wise to protect its surface from finger work.

I have left some pretty serious brush marks on past guitars and have taken to using a guard. On the other, now dead cf forum, a number of people noted a guard that has no adhesive and could be placed on and removed with ease.

For what it's worth, my preference is the Stu/Mac super thin, adhesive guard. I take my time making a paper pattern that I then use to cut the guard to shape. This particular guard is visually unobtrusive and is used on all my CF instruments.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:06 PM

I hear ya about the high E string. I don't know why that string is so much lower on acoustics. I almost always put something under the saddle (tooth pick) or cut a very small piece of plastic (usually the tip of a guitar pick) and carefully adhere it to the top of the saddle. Both seem to work well without having to replace the saddle. Congratulations on the new guitar!
Old 10-26-2015, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
I got one coming in from L.A. Guitar Sales next week and I can't wait. This is going to be my first CF guitar as well. Based on reading countless reviews on graphites, I was leaning toward RainSongs and was debating between the Shorty SG and the Smokey; I love the satin blacked out look but since it's new there are not a lot of reviews. I talked to Ted over the phone and he convinced me to get the SMHX. I trust his recommendation due to his reputation here on the forum. I have to admit my expectations are pretty high but I'm sure I will be satisfied. I will make a full review as well after I play live and do some recording with it.

Also, how does fingerpicking and flatpicking sound?
I'm also considering this guitar and would sure like to hear your thoughts on it once it come in. I haven't been able to find any videos on You Tube that sound very good. Maybe bad recording? I had an original Composite Acoustics that I never bonded with. Gave it to my playing partner and he loves it...go figure?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-27-2015, 06:23 AM

Cograts on the Rainsong!
I have the same issue with my fingernails dragging on the guitar too and causing swirls. On my carbons I always buy the vinyl clear pickguards. They cling and you can barely see them. Can be removed and put right back on.

Get a good gig bag, great cases but heavy and you have a light guitar made to be on the go

If you don't like the E so low, get a new saddle, Rainsong uses Tusq and fit your own. They are $12? Easy experiment always keep your original as a reference point. Rainsong does have a flat 20 inch radius and I believe the Tusq saddles are not as flat. Never been an issue for me on a Rainsong but I did have to flatten a radius out on another guitars saddle that got screwed up by a previous owner. Not that hard but more time consuming than just the normal sanding of the bottom.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 10-29-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I'm also considering this guitar and would sure like to hear your thoughts on it once it come in. I haven't been able to find any videos on You Tube that sound very good. Maybe bad recording? I had an original Composite Acoustics that I never bonded with. Gave it to my playing partner and he loves it...go figure?
Mine just came in today, can't wait to get home. I'll post a review in a week or two after I play it for a bit in different settings.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:54 AM

Default Here's my little video of Rainsong Smokey

I got the chance to do a little video of my playing on the SMokey.

I like it.. It certainly has a good tone to it. I also liked the Al Petteway modell.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarlancer View Post
I got the chance to do a little video of my playing on the SMokey.

I like it.. It certainly has a good tone to it. I also liked the Al Petteway modell.

Is that the "Hybrid" or all composite model Smokey?

Old 10-29-2015, 09:31 AM

Thats' the Smokey..
Old 10-29-2015, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Yeah...but there are two variations. One is a hybrid with carbon fiber and glass fiber and the other is a 100% carbon fiber model. Do you remember which you played in the video or what the price was? Thanks!

Old 10-29-2015, 01:02 PM

Ok this is def the hybrid

http://www.guitargal.com/collections...rid-smh-guitar
Old 10-29-2015, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Yep...that's the one. Thanks!!! Hey Lance...are those sound clips on Guitar Gal you playing? And if so was that fingerstyle without a pick bare flesh?

Old 10-30-2015, 12:01 AM

Got to play my new Smokey and very impressed so far. The DR Blacks definitely need to go, low E is muffled as everyone said. No issue with the high E string placement for me. I was expecting the neck to be very thick based on everyones reviews but it's actually a perfect size and shape for me, and I have small hands.

This is my first CF guitar, and since the Smokey is a satin finish I noticed that if you look very close you can see that the entire body looks as if someone took a normal rag and wiped it in a circular motion. They look like micro-scratches or they could just be fibers or something. Has anyone one else noticed this? I don't mind it and it's only noticeable when you look very close and you cannot feel it. Maybe it's just hand sanded? Because it is very smooth and has a nice feel to it. I assume this is normal for CF satins but I don't know for certain.

Can't wait to slap on some new strings and test out the L.R. Baggs Anthem (it's my first).

Amazing guitar [emoji106] [emoji106]
Old 10-30-2015, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
Got to play my new Smokey and very impressed so far. The DR Blacks definitely need to go, low E is muffled as everyone said. No issue with the high E string placement for me. I was expecting the neck to be very thick based on everyones reviews but it's actually a perfect size and shape for me, and I have small hands.

This is my first CF guitar, and since the Smokey is a satin finish I noticed that if you look very close you can see that the entire body looks as if someone took a normal rag and wiped it in a circular motion. They look like micro-scratches or they could just be fibers or something. Has anyone one else noticed this? I don't mind it and it's only noticeable when you look very close and you cannot feel it. Maybe it's just hand sanded? Because it is very smooth and has a nice feel to it. I assume this is normal for CF satins but I don't know for certain.

Can't wait to slap on some new strings and test out the L.R. Baggs Anthem (it's my first).

Amazing guitar [emoji106] [emoji106]
Glad t hear this since I have one on order from Ted. Maybe by the end of next week? Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber