The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-29-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I'm not sure a non cutaway WS would sell very well, but it would be nice to try one.
I tend to agree with this. Especially with the popularity of the 12-fret short scale neck. Access would be pretty bad with a 12-fret neck with no cutaway.

And, as frustrating as it might be, Rainsong really has to try to appeal to the largest possible audience. Since their guitars are built using (aluminum?) molds, it is a huge undertaking to make a new model, or even a new shape. That's why a lot of the variation between models is for different types of carbon fiber weave, since that doesn't require a new mold. I don't know how many guitars they'd have to sell to justify a new shape/model, but I'm sure it's not a decision they make lightly.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 09-29-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
I've always thought that my Rainsong Jumbo could really use a bevel. The edges always feel a lot sharper on it than other wood guitars I have. I end up with a crease on my arm from it.
This one of my main complaints on my Shorty as well. The top edge of the body, and the fretboard for that matter, are kind of "sharp". I have to pay attention to how I'm holding it if I don't want my arm to fall asleep.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 09-29-2015, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

What RainSongs could really use is a molded-in, cantilevered armrest that would keep the forearm off the guitar's top thus increasing volume and tone. I find that carbon-fiber guitars are especially affected by arm pressure on their tops. A cantilevered, carbon-fiber armrest that is integrated into the side of the guitar and then folds over with a 1/16" space between the top and armrest would add minimal weight to the guitar and could be made to look nice too.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 09-30-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
I've always thought that my Rainsong Jumbo could really use a bevel. The edges always feel a lot sharper on it than other wood guitars I have. I end up with a crease on my arm from it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyB View Post
This one of my main complaints on my Shorty as well. The top edge of the body, and the fretboard for that matter, are kind of "sharp". I have to pay attention to how I'm holding it if I don't want my arm to fall asleep.
Interesting, I just compared several Rainsongs to a few Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, Larrivees, as well as a few other brands, and while some of our higher end guitars with wood binding do have a somewhat "softer" edge, I don't see that Rainsongs are significantly sharper than most wood guitars. Course now I will be looking for this every time I play one of my Rainsongs. Thanks for that, guys.

OK, so Rainsong needs non cutaway versions of the guitars that only come with a cutaway, cutaway versions of guitars that do not have a cutaway, and an arm bevel option. As long as we're at it, let's add bringing back the 12-String neck. Man o man, I can already see myself playing a 12-String Jumbo with cutaway and armrest.

Anything else?
Old 09-29-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Interesting, I just compared several Rainsongs to a few Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, Larrivees, as well as a few other brands, and while some of our higher end guitars with wood binding do have a somewhat "softer" edge, I don't see that Rainsongs are significantly sharper than most wood guitars. Course now I will be looking for this every time I play one of my Rainsongs. Thanks for that, guys.

OK, so Rainsong needs non cutaway versions of the guitars that only come with a cutaway, cutaway versions of guitars that do not have a cutaway, and an arm bevel option. As long as we're at it, let's add bringing back the 12-String neck. Man o man, I can already see myself playing a 12-String Jumbo with cutaway and armrest.

Anything else?
Well...since you mentioned it Ted: How about an inboard looper, an integrated Aura, MISI, A Band in a Box, pinless bridge, and of course...Robotuners???
Maybe a pop out Vocalist too... Of course the Guitar will need its own roadie with all this weight...LOL
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 09-29-2015, 03:50 PM

The sharp feeling is I think caused by the large depth 5" for the Jumbo, WS1000, Dred.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 10-23-2015, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Reason I bought the Jumbo was no cutaway!!!
Please describe the sound of the Jumbo in comparison to the others CF's you've played.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 10-23-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
Please describe the sound of the Jumbo in comparison to the others CF's you've played.
Hopefully Steve chimes in since he owns a RS jumbo, but I can add my 2¢

I played a used one with the classic weave at GC (I think the model is JM1000). Even though it had cruddy strings it was one of the most projective guitars I have ever heard; I strummed it with my fingers and played some fingerstyle and it was well balanced to a guitar that size. Most notable is how comfortable it was to play it sitting on my lap.

I have only ever played the guitar above and a Shorty which I ended up buying, but I love OM guitars. Can't tell you what other CFs sound like but Steve can.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Hi Vance, maybe I an help.

As with other brands, the Dreadnought will favor the bass response, while the Jumbo will be more balanced. But the Rainsong Jumbo has an added attribute, it is loud! In fact it might be the most powerful of all the Rainsong models. Of course both models are quite capable of being played softly, in fact both of these guitars have an amazing range.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:20 PM

I think Ted has said it well. All Jumbos are deceiving in a sense. They are balanced when you think they would be bass heavy. They more comfortable to play sitting down cause the pinched in sides fit down on your leg. I like the JM1000 for maybe the wrong reasons. I love old school Gibson style, the J200 is my ideal, so why not have it in carbon. It's crazy light for its size 4.5 lbs. as I remember. And I love the Black Ice look. There you have it every non sound reason to have this guitar. Oh it does sound great as well. It doesn't beat my McKnight however.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson

Last edited by Doubleneck; 10-23-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I guess I should answer the question you asked. It's the best Rainsong I have played. I have owned, a OM1000 and the Parlor. Its just a bigger sound and pleasing bass. It's a different sound than an my Emerald. It's that clear bell like sound. When I go from my wood McKnight I do initially miss the sweetness of the wood. 15 minutes into it, it becomes the norm. Total consistency up the neck.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 10-23-2015, 06:53 PM

Thank you Sean, Ted, & Steve.
While I do Love my H DR1000 and plan on taking it to Heaven when I die, The Jumbo is really burning and searing my conscience ever sine I played a Gibson Jumbo last week(and loved it) the thought of how the Rainsong Jumbo would be is really giving me GAS.
I do appreciate all the comments and thoughts on the RainSong Jumbo.

Now I'm going to have to find one to try. I'm such an Guitar junkie.

Could be worse I suppose.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber