The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-30-2012, 12:50 PM

Default What vid-cam do you use? Making Youtube videos.

So what camera are you using to create Youtube videos? Any hints on syncing the sound and video?

Thanks.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:19 PM

Old Sony digital camera on video mode (it eats batteries so I only get one or two takes!) for the visuals and Tascam DP004 for the audio. Load the audio track(s) into Audacity for mixing and creating an MP3 then transfer the MP3 and the Video into Windows Movie Maker for synching, titles, fade-outs and creation of a movie file.

Kind regards,
Derek

My acoustics:
  • Tanglewood TW-60
  • Manouche 'Moreno' Modele Jazz
  • 2006 Martin 000-15
  • Tanglewood TW-40
  • Furch D32-SM
  • Michael Messer Lightning
Old 11-30-2012, 03:03 PM

I had a nice Canon Vixia HFS100 (I think?) that I used to use. It was ideal - handy size, good controls. I've just bought a new camera to record with but haven't practiced enough lately to warrant turning it on haha
Old 11-30-2012, 04:01 PM

I'm using this for lots of YouTube videos.
Red EpicX 5K

We record sound double system. A portable Marantz flash recorder with Shure pre-amp and Sennheiser ME-80 supercardoid

The last music related video I shot was a promo for an EP with an older version of the red camera. Audio was multitracked through ProTools and mixed for the final piece.

https://vimeo.com/44106817

I'm not sure this was the type of YouTube video you meant, but it's what I use.

www.tcmotion.net
Old 11-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

This might help you:

http://www.acousticguitar.com/articl...rticleid=25540

Also, see this article/videos by Adam Rafferty:

http://adamrafferty.wordpress.com/20...guitar-videos/

Also, Fran Guidry has a lot of stuff on his homebrewedmusic.com site

Fran's the guy who's gone thru lots of cameras! Basically, at this point, almost any cheap HD camera, even many cell phones are plenty good enough for You Tube. Camera models change constantly, so odds are high that anything anyone else is using is already not made, replaced by a newer model.

Syncing is simple if you have software that lets you line up audio and video tracks. Just clap before you start and line the tracks up. There is even software that will do it automatically for you, no clap required. Lots of details on all of this in the above links.

Last edited by Doug Young; 12-01-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz View Post
I'm using this for lots of YouTube videos.
Red EpicX 5K

www.tcmotion.net
And be sure to get the focus puller option!

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 12-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfsark View Post
So what camera are you using to create Youtube videos? Any hints on syncing the sound and video?
Hi gf...

YouTube? iPhone 4s, Lumix LX5 or Canon T3i. Depends on the environment I'm recording in, and the use of the video.

For students, I even have them do the filming while I play an exercise or passage for them which they are learning. These are obviously not music videos.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-01-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfsark View Post

Thanks.
Here are some things I'd think about.

What level of raw video quality do I want?

How much editing do I want to do? Titles, fades, effects? Or just the clip, folks. Trimmed or left original length?

What software do I have or can get to do those things?

What video format does that software support most readily?

Remarkable video quality is available at very reasonable cost, but having those questions in mind can reduce the headaches later.

Here's a video that talks about syncing - it's all in the clap - http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2010/...deo-in-reaper/

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 12-04-2012, 12:43 AM

Hi Doug, I was under the impression that you could 'synch' up audio and HD video from two different devices (ie, Zoom H2 & Canon Elph) in the iMovie program. However, unless I am misunderstanding you in your AG article (snippet below) you indicate you cannot. Please confirm or clarify. Thanks! (If anyone else wants to weigh in on this as well, that would be great).

"Another approach is to record the audio on a separate device. Portable audio recorders like the popular Zoom H2 offer the same portability as video cameras, allowing you to record quality audio in any location, but you can use any digital recording setup—a computer with recording software, for example. A simple clap at the beginning of the video will provide a synchronization point to tie the audio and video together. To use this approach, you need a video editor that supports separately movable audio tracks. Load the video and audio into the editor, and move the audio track until the clap is aligned. Some simple video editors bundled with computers and aimed at the home movie market, such as Windows Movie Maker or Apple’s iMovie, do not support this ability, but others, like Adobe’s Premiere Elements or Apple’s Final Cut Express offer multiple audio tracks that can be manipulated separately and aligned with video tracks. Synchronizing multiple tracks takes some practice, but an external recorder can produce far better results than simply using the camera’s built-in microphone. You can also use the same technique to synchronize multiple audio tracks, or even multiple video cameras. Just make sure the clap is visible on all cameras, if you’re using more than one, and make sure to begin with a clap every time you restart the video and audio recorders."

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 12-04-2012, 01:25 AM

I record my audio with GarageBand and my video with a Fuji X100 camera.

From GarageBand, I send the audio file to iMovie.

I then import the movie file using an SD card adaptor.

From iMovie, I can select the movie file and manually synchronize the two sources.

Here's an example of a video I produced using iMovie:

http://youtu.be/iisVG2s1p8I

iMovie for iPad is pretty limited and it has a number of annoying bugs -- but what it does it does reasonably well. It's also dirt cheap and super fun to use.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Some simple video editors bundled with computers and aimed at the home movie market, such as Windows Movie Maker or Apple’s iMovie, do not support this ability
I guess it depends on the version. This is exactly how I synch my audio and visuals and I use Windows Movie Maker...so the facility is supported by my version of Movie Maker, but I have a suspicion more recent versions might have reduced functionality (mine is 6 or 7 years old).

kind regards,
Derek

My acoustics:
  • Tanglewood TW-60
  • Manouche 'Moreno' Modele Jazz
  • 2006 Martin 000-15
  • Tanglewood TW-40
  • Furch D32-SM
  • Michael Messer Lightning
Old 12-04-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I record my audio with GarageBand and my video with a Fuji X100 camera.

From GarageBand, I send the audio file to iMovie.

I then import the movie file using an SD card adaptor.

From iMovie, I can select the movie file and manually synchronize the two sources.

Here's an example of a video I produced using iMovie:

http://youtu.be/iisVG2s1p8I

iMovie for iPad is pretty limited and it has a number of annoying bugs -- but what it does it does reasonably well. It's also dirt cheap and super fun to use.
I actually posed my question to Doug because I had seen that you had previously mentioned you synced A/V in iMovie. Doug's article seems to indicate otherwise although maybe I'm not understanding it well.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Berger View Post
Hi Doug, I was under the impression that you could 'synch' up audio and HD video from two different devices (ie, Zoom H2 & Canon Elph) in the iMovie program. However, unless I am misunderstanding you in your AG article (snippet below) you indicate you cannot. Please confirm or clarify. Thanks! (If anyone else wants to weigh in on this as well, that would be great).
That article is a couple of years old. The concepts should apply, but probably any specific technology mentioned is out of date. I'm told you can now sync in iMovie (maybe there was a way back then, and I just missed it), tho I haven't tried it. It's very easy in Final Cut , Premiere, and many others. In the latest Final Cut version (sort of iMovie on steroids), you can just import as many audio and video clips as you want, and they can be synced automatically. Maybe iMovie does that too, now? I don't know In any case, any editor that allows you to have multiple tracks and move them relative to each other can let you line up based on a clap. You can even do it in some "audio" editors, like Logic, that let you import video, even if they aren't full-featured video editors.

Last edited by Doug Young; 12-04-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
That article is a couple of years old. The concepts should apply, but probably any specific technology mentioned is out of date. I'm told you can now sync in iMovie (maybe there was a way back then, and I just missed it), tho I haven't tried it. It's very easy in Final Cut , Premiere, and many others. In the latest Final Cut version (sort of iMovie on steroids), you can just import as many audio and video clips as you want, and they can be synced automatically. Maybe iMovie does that too, now? I don't know In any case, any editor that allows you to have multiple tracks and move them relative to each other can let you line up based on a clap. You can even do it in some "audio" editors, like Logic, that let you import video, even if they aren't full-featured video editors.
Hi Doug, I should have checked the date of the article. And thanks for the additional information.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

One of these days I'll try to put together an update on my current workflow, for what it's worth. Technology changes so fast, of course, and its all different depending on what tools you use, but at the moment, I'm having good luck with a simple process that is basically

import everything into Final Cut X,
make a "multi-clip", which syncs all files automatically
Edit video as desired, add titles, etc
Save video
Open video in Logic
Mix audio, EQ, add reverb, etc
Save video with mixed audio
Encode as H264 using MPEGStreamclip
upload to you tube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD