The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-18-2008, 01:59 PM

Default CA 5iM-CE - first impressions

I picked up the guitar today, 9 weeks after ordering. MacNichol's is a relatively new shop at http://www.macnichol.com and he was a pleasure to work with.

The guitar is charcoal black in their RT (rough) finish, with a slightly exposed graphite looking edging. There is very little bling. The side of the neck has dots and there are two dots on the fretboard at the twelfth fret.

The guitar feels heavier than a Rainsong WS1000 and maybe even slightly heavier than an old borrowed Guild Madeira dred. The lower bout is not nearly as difficult to get my shoulder over as most dreds - in this way it's a lot more like a GC. The sculpting in the back makes the guitar sit close and relaxed and slightly more headstock up.

The back of the neck has a mildly roughed satin finish. The neck is fairly thin front to back and 1 3/4" wide. The action is medium low. It plays easily and intonation is very good all the way up. Access to the highest frets is very good.

It comes with Elixer Nano PB lights.

I haven't plugged it in yet, but the battery is housed in a tough nylon pocket velcroed a few inches from the offset sound hole.

The sound is different from wood. It is clear and loud. The bass is good, but it is not overpowering. The balance is pleasant. Singing with this guitar is nice. It strums well, but despite what I'd read, it is (in my opinion) not primarily a strummer. The player must take care to not brush the top of the guitar with a pinky, since the brushing sound is quite audible.

The player gets a different sound than the listener just like a guitar with a normal soundhole. The sound is even more balanced out front.

That's it for now. I'll write more as I settle into it.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
I picked up the guitar today, 9 weeks after ordering. MacNichol's is a relatively new shop at http://www.macnichol.com and he was a pleasure to work with.

The guitar is charcoal black in their RT (rough) finish, with a slightly exposed graphite looking edging. There is very little bling. The side of the neck has dots and there are two dots on the fretboard at the twelfth fret.

The guitar feels heavier than a Rainsong WS1000 and maybe even slightly heavier than an old borrowed Guild Madeira dred. The lower bout is not nearly as difficult to get my shoulder over as most dreds - in this way it's a lot more like a GC. The sculpting in the back makes the guitar sit close and relaxed and slightly more headstock up.

The back of the neck has a mildly roughed satin finish. The neck is fairly thin front to back and 1 3/4" wide. The action is medium low. It plays easily and intonation is very good all the way up. Access to the highest frets is very good.

It comes with Elixer Nano PB lights.

I haven't plugged it in yet, but the battery is housed in a tough nylon pocket velcroed a few inches from the offset sound hole.

The sound is different from wood. It is clear and loud. The bass is good, but it is not overpowering. The balance is pleasant. Singing with this guitar is nice. It strums well, but despite what I'd read, it is (in my opinion) not primarily a strummer. The player must take care to not brush the top of the guitar with a pinky, since the brushing sound is quite audible.

The player gets a different sound than the listener just like a guitar with a normal soundhole. The sound is even more balanced out front.

That's it for now. I'll write more as I settle into it.
There's a cure for that rough-coat or whatever it's called. I've got a Cargo with the insane black finish that is like sandpaper, so the cure is sandpaper.

I spent maybe an hour sanding it smooth, starting with ~360 grit and eventually polishing it a bit with 1200-2400. (Wet).

After that, no more finger noise, and completely smooth. A little shinier if anyone cares. Still the most unbalanced guitar on the planet but at least I don't have to listen to that insane noise you described.

Does it look any better? No. It also doesn't look any worse. It just is more like a gloss.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papol View Post
There's a cure for that rough-coat or whatever it's called. I've got a Cargo with the insane black finish that is like sandpaper, so the cure is sandpaper.

I spent maybe an hour sanding it smooth, starting with ~360 grit and eventually polishing it a bit with 1200-2400. (Wet).

After that, no more finger noise, and completely smooth. A little shinier if anyone cares. Still the most unbalanced guitar on the planet but at least I don't have to listen to that insane noise you described.

Does it look any better? No. It also doesn't look any worse. It just is more like a gloss.
Wow! I have a charcoal Cargo. I can't imagine doing that! If it worked for you, then I guess, why not? To me, avoiding any "scratchy" sound caused by the fingers brushing the surface is a matter of technique. For me, I believe paying close attention to minimizing/avoiding contact with the top has actually improved my technique for all guitars. I'm playing "cleaner". Now, I don't have to think about it. I've adapted for the better. IMO, the Cargo is a great guitar for what it is!
Old 07-18-2008, 06:21 PM

To each his own. I'm with acousticado on this one. Cleaner, more purposeful right hand technique is sure to be a good thing in my case.

Man is this thing cool. I'll probably go over to the church tonight just to plug it in the PA.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:23 PM

Hi Acoustic,

I probably got the idea to sand it down from this forum. Awhile back, there was a thread about glossing satin Masterbilt Epiphone finishes.

I think they were talking about taking fine sandpaper to the finishes and were winding up with nice glossy one's instead. (I could be way off but that's my memory of it anyway).

So I just thought I'd give it a try on the Cargo and it worked amazingly well. I wasn't going for a nicer finish, just to make the guitar better playing, less noisy and that worked.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:31 PM

Congrats! I have pretty much the exact same guitar. I love it. Enjoy!
Old 07-19-2008, 04:06 PM

+1 on Mike at MacNichols. Great service and communication!

Jim Cannon (AKA Trader Jim) <><
Old 07-19-2008, 07:16 PM

The Fishman VT that comes with this is very easy to use and sounds great through the church's PA system. I've been playing so much that the tips of my fingers are beyond sore. An amazing guitar and an amazing bargain.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:39 PM

Hi everyone - hope this thread is not to old to bring up again.

I am about to get one of these... probably don't want to do the sandpaper thing yet. I probably am less concerned with making scratchy sounds but I am concerned comfort.

I don't have the ability to play this first before buying so I have no idea what the RT finish is like but - is the neck rough sandpaper texture also? I imagine that would make it uncomfortable to play for long due to the abrasion. Also same for the right arm resting on the guitar?

Or is it worth paying more for gloss finish
99 Guild F47CE (Westerly) | 02 Martin SPJC-16R | 03 Martin DC-16RGTE | 03 Martin MC-16GTE | 05 Seagull MJM6 w/ QII Cedar/Mahogany BS | 01 Washburn EA20SDL | 02 Guild JF-30 Sunburst | 00 Taylor LOTF 410MACE | 02 Tacoma JF21 | 08 CA 7M-CE (GX)
Old 10-06-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorksInTheory View Post
is the neck rough sandpaper texture also? I imagine that would make it uncomfortable to play for long due to the abrasion. Also same for the right arm resting on the guitar?

I cannot imagine the neck is like sandpaper at all, no way. I've got a 7 Series smooth as glass on the neck. I wouldn't give that one a second thought. You can always email Mike at MacNichol. They have a forum too now for carbons.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Hi everyone - hope this thread is not to old to bring up again.

I am about to get one of these... probably don't want to do the sandpaper thing yet. I probably am less concerned with making scratchy sounds but I am concerned comfort.

I don't have the ability to play this first before buying so I have no idea what the RT finish is like but - is the neck rough sandpaper texture also? I imagine that would make it uncomfortable to play for long due to the abrasion. Also same for the right arm resting on the guitar?

Hi WIT,

The neck finish is smoother than the body and feels great. I like the durability of the RT body finish, but I also understand why some may not. I quickly learned to play 'cleaner' with my Cargo, and I see that as a good thing. I have a GXi (formerly 7iM) in high-gloss on order. I should have it within a couple of weeks. I'm curious to see the difference. Having ssaid this, I personally don't see the RT finish as a problem at all.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:42 PM

I've lived with my 5iM-CE (now GXi-CE) with the RT finish for a few months. I absolutely love it. The neck finish feels very much like a fast playing satin, and the top finish simply isn't the problem I'd thought it might be. Frankly, my strumming was too sloppy, and now it's less so.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
I've lived with my 5iM-CE (now GXi-CE) with the RT finish for a few months. I absolutely love it. The neck finish feels very much like a fast playing satin, and the top finish simply isn't the problem I'd thought it might be. Frankly, my strumming was too sloppy, and now it's less so.
Did they change anything in the model when they went from calling it 5iM-CE to GXi-CE? I can't keep up with all their name changes!
99 Guild F47CE (Westerly) | 02 Martin SPJC-16R | 03 Martin DC-16RGTE | 03 Martin MC-16GTE | 05 Seagull MJM6 w/ QII Cedar/Mahogany BS | 01 Washburn EA20SDL | 02 Guild JF-30 Sunburst | 00 Taylor LOTF 410MACE | 02 Tacoma JF21 | 08 CA 7M-CE (GX)
Old 10-09-2008, 02:07 PM

No changes.
Quote:
Did they change anything in the model when they went from calling it 5iM-CE to GXi-CE? I can't keep up with all their name changes!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion