The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

Hmmm...

Bob
My 21 year old granddaughter is in the Navy and my 26 year old nephew is in the Air Force in the middle east.

Gotta be careful of those wide paint brushes...

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:31 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
My 21 year old granddaughter is in the Navy and my 26 year old nephew is in the Air Force in the middle east.

And both my sons are civil service Navy.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-29-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:

I fail to see in that graphic where it contains the phrase "all 18-20 year olds."

The point is to contrast the difference between two drastically different mindsets among young people. Of course that difference exists today as well. In fact, the two mindsets grow increasingly disparate, which is why I think the graphic alludes to two different generations of young people to exaggerate how far we've come in coddling. I've found that people on this forum will pick anything apart in order to criticize it. But I can appreciate what the graphic is saying in general, and will leave the nit-picking to those who care about such gnat-straining.

Last edited by GraceMusik; 11-29-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
I would like to believe that these administrators simply thought that the entire thing just wasn't worth the BS and simply moved on .
Interesting point. But I believe it more accurately and pointedly is a case of there not being any use in attempting a defense. This is a case of the radicals in charge of our school of higher indoctrination do "their jobs" too well. And producing a generation of uber radicals.
They know the rules well because they taught them. Once the racist accusation card is thrown, the die is cast. Innocence is not a defense that will even be considered.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
Interesting point. But I believe it more accurately and pointedly is a case of there not being any use in attempting a defense. This is a case of the radicals in charge of our school of higher indoctrination do "their jobs" too well. And producing a generation of uber radicals.
They know the rules well because they taught them. Once the racist accusation card is thrown, the die is cast. Innocence is not a defense that will even be considered.
There is a defense .
Simply state that you cannot discriminate racially because you hate everyone equally .
You are correct in what you point out as the likely reasoning . I just happen to be a bit of an optimist .
Old 11-29-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceMusik View Post
I fail to see in that graphic where it contains the phrase "all 18-20 year olds."

The point is to contrast the difference between two drastically different mindsets among young people. Of course that difference exists today as well. In fact, the two mindsets grow increasingly disparate, which is why I think the graphic alludes to two different generations of young people to exaggerate how far we've come in coddling. I've found that people on this forum will pick anything apart in order to criticize it. But I can appreciate what the graphic is saying in general, and will leave the nit-picking to those who care about such gnat-straining.
Aren't you doing a little picking apart yourself.

WW2 and later wars are very different from how they were started. Few Americans now believe that most of the post WW2 wars were warranted.

American parents and their children are able also to see the "chicken hawks", those that talk war but do not have to fight or send their own to actually defend the nation, and want nothing to do with war.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceMusik View Post

personally, i love the subtle way the graphic shows it's all the lefties fault.

i also kind of want to say that 18-20 years old living today have numerous things to avoid and overcome that weren't even imagined in 1944.

one could make a similar graphic showing just how much simpler 18-20 year olds had it back then.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
"There are few things in this world which it is worthwhile to get angry about, and they are just the things anger will not improve." - Henry Jarvis Raymond
"You should never argue with a crazy man" - Billy Joel

I like that one better...
Old 11-29-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
No, no...it's whining.
This is an example of passive aggressive behaviour. Find a post about five pages back, (which was not a response to the person here anyway), re post it in an attempt to get a defensive reaction. Nice try.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
personally, i love the subtle way the graphic shows it's all the lefties fault.

i also kind of want to say that 18-20 years old living today have numerous things to avoid and overcome that weren't even imagined in 1944.

one could make a similar graphic showing just how much simpler 18-20 year olds had it back then.
Actually, Hitler claimed he was not afraid of the USA entering World War II because America's young people had been coddled then. It turns out that America's youth in 1942-45 proved that they were made of sterner stuff. Today's youth has its own toughness, as well; they have shown that in recent wars. I feel pretty certain that today's youth will rise to the challenges in front of them.

- Glenn
Old 11-29-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Actually, Hitler claimed he was not afraid of the USA entering World War II because America's young people had been coddled then. It turns out that America's youth in 1942-45 proved that they were made of sterner stuff. Today's youth has its own toughness, as well; they have shown that in recent wars. I feel pretty certain that today's youth will rise to the challenges in front of them.

- Glenn
Each generation has resin to the challenge when called upon. I think we are in pretty good hands with most.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvefret View Post
Aren't you doing a little picking apart yourself.
No............
Old 11-29-2015, 04:04 PM

I have to admit that I'm enjoying the several flavors irony in this thread.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:19 PM

The graphic is a typical example of slimy propaganda. It takes something that the creator wishes to trash - liberal intellectual nonsense about people trying to be sensitive to each other's concerns and to get along - and sets it in contrast to an image that s/he believes is inviolable - the all-action, patriotic American hero defying the jaws of death to fight the good fight. In this way, the target of contempt becomes constructed as an enemy of patriotism, courage, and raw old-fashioned goodness.

Last edited by ewalling; 11-29-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
The graphic is a typical example of slimy propaganda. It takes something that the creator wishes to trash - liberal intellectual nonsense about people trying to be sensitive to each other's concerns and to get along - and sets it in contrast to an image that s/he believes is inviolable - the all-action, patriotic American hero defying the jaws of death to fight the good fight. In this way, the target of contempt becomes constructed as an enemy of patriotism, courage, and raw old-fashioned goodness.
Some people interpret so many things as "offensive" that they're sure not to get along with anyone who is not lock-step with their mindset. Increasingly, "sensitive to my concerns" is actually substituted for what is really meant: "you need to either agree with me or you can't voice your opinion (without being labeled a "bigot," "hater," "intolerant," etc.)"
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic