The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-11-2008, 06:30 PM

I have to Taylor 410 dread and a Martin D28. I like them both, but the Taylor does seem to have better balance across all strings. It also has the wider 1-3/4 neck, which isn't a problem, even with my small hands. If I absolutely had to choose, I'd probably take the 410 over the D28 because it sounds and feels more versatile. It's also less expensive!
Yamaha classical
Old 06-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Tomorrow i am going to the G.C. and Sam Ash and try out the Martin one more time. making sure it was for real. In the past i have had several martins (swomgt and 00016) and one more that i can't remember the model. the reason i sold them was the 6 and 5 string seemed to have a dead sound (small body size). i was told, that was just the martin sound, well the D28 sure didn't have that dull bass sound. it really sounded nice. we will see tomorrow.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:38 PM

The mellowest strings are the silk and steel variety.

http://www.daddario.com/DADProdDetai...D=2&Class=ABRA
Old 06-12-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1 View Post
Tomorrow i am going to the G.C. and Sam Ash and try out the Martin one more time. making sure it was for real. In the past i have had several martins (swomgt and 00016) and one more that i can't remember the model. the reason i sold them was the 6 and 5 string seemed to have a dead sound (small body size). i was told, that was just the martin sound, well the D28 sure didn't have that dull bass sound. it really sounded nice. we will see tomorrow.
Have someone else play both the Martin and the Taylor so you can concentrate solely on listening. That was a huge factor for me when I wanted the Martin sounds...turns out I liked the Taylor sound much more...fuller sound across the entire spectrum.

Good luck!
The fuller you feel, the less that you need; The less that you need, the farther you reach"
Dan Fogelberg 1951-2007
Old 06-12-2008, 07:39 PM

G day doug i think you are now starting learn about different tones from one guitar builder to the next.
I also would recomend trying the same body shapes in your comparisons in the future,that way your going to get a more acurate tonal differance between the guitars you try.
i also love dreadnought guitars all my acoustic's are dreadnoughts and my favourite by a long shot in the taylor 810ce rosewood/sitka is more likely going to more boomier in the bass than say a mahogany guitar.
i also have a mahogany/engleman guitar which has a very nice mellow tone.
so enjoy the ride learning more about tonewoods and the way different companies capture their tones.
1995 Gibson J 35 Ltd No 7 of 250
1958 Gibson L48
1955 Gibson ES125

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion