The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-09-2023, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshbog View Post
Haven't posted in a while, but I'm surprised, and sad to see them go! I've played a RainSong OM for the past 10 years, and had my eye on one of those Vintage models with the spruce top. Maybe need to pick one up before they're gone...
It seems they just sent a notice for a closure / liquidation sale. Now would be the time to buy if you are interested....
Old 11-09-2023, 12:45 PM

https://www.rainsong.com/onsale
Old 11-09-2023, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I don’t want this to be seen as dancing on the grave. I want all the folks there to land on their feet. My thought regarding sales of these instruments is that they have a strong appeal to the working musician.... I don’t think there are enough working musicians to support RainSong. The market seems to be moved by home players who want tone in spades.
That's an angle I hadn't thought of. I guess the two natural customers would be stage musicians and guitarists tired of throwing their tonewoods back in the case to accomodate various climates and weather, with major overlap of course. That's a niche.

The combo almost had me pull the trigger. Played a friend's WS a couple week ago and was astonished how light it was.

I'm surprised how bad I feel about this!
Old 11-09-2023, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

I’ve been looking at getting a Carbon Fiber 12 string and had decided I liked the Rainsong Nashville 12-string the best. Was sad to hear about them closing shop. Many thanks to the OP and to DgaemC2 for posting the link to their closing sale. Showed it to my wife and she approved so I went ahead and ordered one. Seems like I just got the last one (N-JM3100) that they had on sale. Feeling elated.
Old 11-09-2023, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovin' Geo View Post
I’ve been looking at getting a Carbon Fiber 12 string and had decided I liked the Rainsong Nashville 12-string the best. Was sad to hear about them closing shop. Many thanks to the OP and to DgaemC2 for posting the link to their closing sale. Showed it to my wife and she approved so I went ahead and ordered one. Seems like I just got the last one (N-JM3100) that they had on sale. Feeling elated.
Well done! Come back and tell us about it when it arrives
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-09-2023, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryf View Post
Sad to see any guitar maker go out of business, but I don't care at all about anybody's carbon fiber guitar. Im sure they're fine, but I'm equaly sure I'd never buy one.
Well, now you have one less CF maker to not care about.

Imagine the time you’ll save
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-09-2023, 02:53 PM

I'm very sad to hear this. I have 4 Rainsong guitars and love playing them. Dave at Rainsong was very helpful to me when I called with questions before purchasing them.
Old 11-09-2023, 04:43 PM

My gateway CF guitar was a Rainsong; a Shorty that I would still have it if not for the N2 I tried to love. What a drag.
Old 11-09-2023, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFidele View Post
I really hope someone buys the brand. There is a lot that could be done with the brand, techniques, knowledge, and tools. Lots of room for experimentation, too.
I just spent a ton of money, otherwise I "might" be tempted.

If anyone wants to buy the assets and set up shop in Arizona I know a very good Quality Engineer
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-09-2023, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
That's an angle I hadn't thought of. I guess the two natural customers would be stage musicians and guitarists tired of throwing their tonewoods back in the case to accomodate various climates and weather, with major overlap of course. That's a niche.
When I play out, I normally bring 3-4 guitars:

My Rainsong Shorty - Tuned Standard
Larrivie OM-03R - Tuned DADGAD
Rainsong WS-300 - 12-string, 1/2 step down because no truss rod
And sometimes the Alvarez Baritone.

The two guitars that stay out in the studio are the Rainsongs. The wood guitars stay in their cases with humidifiers.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-09-2023, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovin' Geo View Post
Nice, and Congrats!!
Old 11-09-2023, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
I just spent a ton of money, otherwise I "might" be tempted.

If anyone wants to buy the assets and set up shop in Arizona I know a very good Quality Engineer
I hear you. I don't have the money but if I had the time to spend on such an endeavor, I would be tempted to help broker a deal as an agent to keep the dream alive.

The reality is, even brokering a deal is tons of hard work, let alone running the business itself. I do hope that there is someone out there with the time, money, and creative energy who can accept the torch. There really is a lot of potential for someone willing to take on some risk for a labor of love.

I wonder what a little marketing and R&D can do for the brand's success. For example, not that I think this would be a money-making idea, I really want to see a full carbon Brunner-style multi-detachable-neck travel guitar one of these days. A man can dream...
Old 11-09-2023, 08:25 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
I hear you. I don't have the money but if I had the time to spend on such an endeavor, I would be tempted to help broker a deal as an agent to keep the dream alive.

The reality is, even brokering a deal is tons of hard work, let alone running the business itself. I do hope that there is someone out there with the time, money, and creative energy who can accept the torch. There really is a lot of potential for someone willing to take on some risk for a labor of love.

I wonder what a little marketing and R&D can do for the brand's success. For example, not that I think this would be a money-making idea, I really want to see a full carbon Brunner-style multi-detachable-neck travel guitar one of these days. A man can dream...
I vote for Kramster!
Old 11-09-2023, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...I wonder what a little marketing and R&D can do for the brand's success...
I would say it would do wonders. There were a number of decisions out of Woodinville over the past eight years or so that just had me scratching my head...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-10-2023, 07:20 AM

Tempted to pick up a 25th anniversary if those go on enough of a sale too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber