The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-16-2024, 06:08 PM

6 month update: Takes a licking and keeps on riffing. Well, I've played the carbon fiber off of this Enya, metaphorically, and it's a lovely beast.

You know, Michael Hedges said, "an unamplified acoustic guitar works well in a room with ten people. If everybody is quiet and all the doors and windows are closed. To make this intimacy work in large clubs and concert halls. You have to amplify it, but you must be careful how you do it."

Inherently, once we amplify we're changing what is audible (when unamplified) for good or bad. So, unless you're playing intimately without those changes, the difference btwn wood and carbon fiber starts to become a game of subjective semantics.

I love wooden guitars and can throw out terms like warmth n woodiness, however I can also cough up stuff like sustain n articulation.

At the end of the amplified day it's all word salad. This Enya is utterly capable of allowing one to express themselves in a myriad of wonderful ways. With no fuss, with no breakdowns and with total enjoyment and fun.

So really what more can I say. For the price of a song, a young person can get their hands on an affordable instrument that will take them as far as they want. And for someone older who can afford more, we can say some new tech is a blast for us to play around with, without breaking the bank. Great guitar, that is capable of doing just about anything (except classical bc the string spacing and nut width isn't ideal).
Alvarez 5038
Alvarez 5045
Enya X4
Larrivee LSV-11
Larrivee 000-50
Unbranded (aka Marlboro Martin)
Old 01-23-2024, 01:26 PM

I recently ordered an X4 Pro and X3 Pro to try out. I'd previously tried an X4 Pro Mini, but the short scale didn't work for my prefered D standard tuning. I also owned a McPherson Touring which I sold due to the short scale length. The longer scale on the full size Enyas works great for me, and I love the necks on these things.

Sound wise, I was pleasantly surprised by the X4 Pro. I'd say it's closer to the sound of a dread with plenty of base, while the X3 Pro is closer to an OM in sound.

Not sure if I'll keep one around at this point as the X4 Pro arrived with a non functioning set of electronics. It will show charging (green), but will not turn on. I wish they offered an X4 Pro without electronics at a substantial price break.

Aesthetically, the inlayed headstock on the X4 is a nice touch, but I prefer the matte look of the X3 as well as its silver appointments vs. the X4's gold appointments.

Overall a great sounding and looking guitar for not much money. Would make a great kick around guitar.

What's the cheapest the X4 Pro has been for Black Friday, etc? This one was $644 after the 15% discount + tax.

Last edited by thegreatgumbino; 01-23-2024 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-23-2024, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatgumbino View Post
What's the cheapest the X4 Pro has been for Black Friday, etc? This one was $644 after the 15% discount + tax.
Cheapest I've seen was right about $600 pre-tax.
Old 01-24-2024, 08:51 AM

I wish they would make a X4 Pro without the built in effects. I don't need them and it adds weight, which is a major negative for me. An acoustic shouldn't weigh 6 lbs.
Old 01-30-2024, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFidele View Post
Cheapest I've seen was right about $600 pre-tax.
Currently going for $544 on Amazon
Emerald X10 Black Level 3

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber