The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2018, 09:28 AM

Default Name Brand vs Boutique Acoustics

I’d like to hear some thoughts on buying a new mid-to-higher end Name Brands like a Martin D35 compared to buying a second or third hand boutique acoustic guitar with lots of provenance?

I know Martins can be had for a very decent price from the AGF sponsors that would include the lifetime warranty. Reselling a Martin would probably be much easier than a boutique guitar just due to name recognition.

I’ll be retiring in a couple of years and I’d like to thin my Guitarsal down to 2 acoustics a D35 sound for playing inside the house and CF (Emerald X20 sound) for outside the house.

I’m currently torn between getting a brand new D35 and a used boutique.
There are a lot of qualities drawing me to one particular boutique guitar. It has a lot of distinct bass, just not quite as bass weighted/heavy as a D35. But, the mids and highs have a lot more definition/articulation/chime and overall cleaner sound.

I’m sure I’m way over thinking this, but it is 2 – 3 times the money I’ve ever spent for my Yamaha’s and Breedlove’s. I’m just a bit apprehensive stepping into the boutique world for the first time. I have several wonderful $500 guitars.

Any thoughts or stories on what you would have done differently when you started buying more expensive guitars?
Old 03-26-2018, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Don't worry; I'm staying out of this one.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-26-2018, 09:57 AM

The difference is really who are you trying to impress. My $300 Alvarez Yairi sounds better than my $1800 Martin. I have a Takamine outlaw oo18 that sounds great, looks and sounds like a Martin; paid $40. My Taylor 214 koa is the best plugged in guitar sound I own.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:15 AM

First,unless you are investing to "pass on" a guitar, stop looking at head stocks. Martins are great as are Taylors, Gibsons, etc. But there are wonderful instruments made by Yamaha, Washburn, Ibanez, Epiphone, or Paul Reed Smith. Those, and many others, make very fine guitars. As someone said in another post, you have to make a decision why you are selling the $500 guitars you already have and say are very nice. Remember, that it is always the sound.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:25 AM

I think it depends on what sound you're looking for and the playing comfort of the guitar (neck shape, string spacing, etc.).

Martins have a specific sound and a standrad neck that's not suited to everyone. Other makers are different. In my opinion, Martin and a boutique makers differ pretty much only in those specifics.

I purchased my Huss & Dalton TOM-M because of the feel of the neck and the spectacular tone (for me). I was impressed by the Martin 000-18, but it wasn't for me.

I purchased my Martin CS-00-21 because of the spectacular tone (for me). The neck is a bit thin for my taste, but I felt that I could get along with it anyway. Even though I could have bought a boutique guitar for around the same price - they didn't have the tone I was looking for like the Martin (in this case).

I also have an Eastman OM that is right up there too.

Can't say much more than that. I always think about finding keepers and never think about resale value or brand prestige (but I do like the sense of history that comes with a Martin). But that's just me.

Last edited by MHC; 03-26-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Don't worry; I'm staying out of this one.....
What I was thinking...lol
Old 03-26-2018, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808K View Post
What I was thinking...lol
Honest...I really am staying out of this one. I guess we Philly guys think alike (Upper Darby '68)....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-26-2018, 10:51 AM

It Sounds like the OP has been captivated by the tone of a certain boutique guitar. If that tone is what you are looking for and you love it, then maybe that is the guitar you should be buying...its your choice at the end of the day...
Old 03-26-2018, 10:53 AM

Jwellsy -

i have had both. I gradually worked up from a Martin DX-1 to a Martin D-35 and now my main guitar is a Bourgeois 00. I also have a Guild GAD-30. Each has had its strengths and weaknesses. What I have learned since I started 11 years ago is that each guitar was limited by my skill level (or lack of skills). And only after they are set-up to your liking, can you really start comparing. In short, I’ve had some great guitars to play.

Several suggestions for you:
  • Buy used - you will save a lot of money and won’t have to worry about putting a ding in your new guitar.
  • If at all possible, audition the guitar - I find it’s absolutely essential for me. Although, I would buy an instrument from the right person on AGF classifieds.
  • Buy this really nice guitar now while you are still working. Past a certain price point, let’s say $800-$1,000, differences are minimal. And, as hobbies go, playing the guitar is much less expensive than many others.
  • Bling will cost you and won’t improve your sound.
  • A good set-up will allow you to bring out the best in any guitar
  • Practice, practice, practice - The guitar does not make the magic, your hands and brain do!

Most of all, have fun on the search, set yourself a budget, and hit as many stores as you can. When you meet the right guitar, you’ll know it.

Best,

Rick

PS - Don’t be afraid to spend a little bit more for the right guitar because you’ll be dead a long time.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
The difference is really who are you trying to impress. My $300 Alvarez Yairi sounds better than my $1800 Martin. I have a Takamine outlaw oo18 that sounds great, looks and sounds like a Martin; paid $40. My Taylor 214 koa is the best plugged in guitar sound I own.
I sure wish my hearing was bad. Sure would save me a lot of money.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

I have nothing to contribute except thanks for giving me a new word: "provenance." I had to look it up. I love learning new words.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 03-26-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
Have you considered that the only person that the OP is trying to impress are their own ears?

Sorry to hear about your dud Martin.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
I’d like to hear some thoughts on buying a new mid-to-higher end Name Brands like a Martin D35 compared to buying a second or third hand boutique acoustic guitar with lots of provenance?

I know Martins can be had for a very decent price from the AGF sponsors that would include the lifetime warranty. Reselling a Martin would probably be much easier than a boutique guitar just due to name recognition.

I’ll be retiring in a couple of years and I’d like to thin my Guitarsal down to 2 acoustics a D35 sound for playing inside the house and CF (Emerald X20 sound) for outside the house.

I’m currently torn between getting a brand new D35 and a used boutique.
There are a lot of qualities drawing me to one particular boutique guitar. It has a lot of distinct bass, just not quite as bass weighted/heavy as a D35. But, the mids and highs have a lot more definition/articulation/chime and overall cleaner sound.

I’m sure I’m way over thinking this, but it is 2 – 3 times the money I’ve ever spent for my Yamaha’s and Breedlove’s. I’m just a bit apprehensive stepping into the boutique world for the first time. I have several wonderful $500 guitars.

Any thoughts or stories on what you would have done differently when you started buying more expensive guitars?
Buy the one that pleases you the most. In 20 years, you won't care what it cost, if it had a warranty, or that you might lose money on a resell. You will only care that you have had it to play, whenever you chose to, for all that time.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:27 AM

I detailed a visit to Tommy's Guitar Lounge some years ago, but here's the gist of it (and it relates to your question).

I had a Martin 00-28VS. I really liked the tone, and it was about as fine of a guitar as I had ever played. The only complaint I could make is that I wasn't particularly fond of the V profile of the neck.

I made a trip to a shop that carried many boutique and individual luthier brands, because I was interested in what all the Froggy Bottom chatter was about. I played several makes, and compared them directly with my Martin (which I took along).

Generally, I found the "boutique" brands to be more responsive, and louder than the Martin. Froggy in particular stood out, and the sheer volume given the body size was (and still is) remarkable.

I didn't necessarily like all the guitars I played. I was in fact unimpressed with a luthier built guitar (relatively famous, with a $15k price tag). Several Goodalls were just ok, although one 000 in particular still haunts me because it was so good. I don't think I played a bad Bourgeois, but I liked some better than others. All the Froggy's were loud, but there were a couple that seemed a little harsh (I assume they'll mellow a bit given time and playing).

All the guitars, to include my Martin; were well built in terms of fit and finish. If I learned anything, it's that small shops / boutiques / luthiers are generally building more responsive guitars than factories. I was slightly embarrassed for my little 00.

Since then, I've made other visits to other shops and experienced a wider range of makes. I've learned that I don't care for the tone of some (luthier-built is no guarantee), and there are some amazing unknown builders out there with very reasonable prices. It has also confirmed my earlier generalization about factories.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with something like a Martin D-18, and I am very impressed with their newest offering. I still recommend inexpensive Yamaha's, and think Alvarez-Yairi's are some of the best bargains out there. I don't try to convince myself that their tonal potential is on par with the better "boutique" brands.

But at the end of the day, what I (or anyone else) thinks doesn't really matter when it comes to you. All I can say is that investing in a guitar "education" by visiting a few really nice shops and finding out what you really like is probably cheaper in the long run than buying and selling guitars until you hit on the one you love.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:29 AM
G625 mistral-k

A guitar is a very personal purchase, and your post suggests your choice is between a new D-35 and a pre-owned boutique which your ears have found to have a "distinct bass, just not quite as bass weighted/heavy as a D35. But, the mids and highs have a lot more definition/articulation/chime and overall cleaner sound." Go with what your ears and hands prefer not the name on the headstock.

You also mention you will only have two guitars, so again, purchase the one that you are drawn to by it's sound.

We have purchased several pre-owned guitars which we purchased at 50% to 60% of their original purchase price and should we elect to sell them, we expect we would recover 80% to 100% of our purchase cost given we were not the first owners and we have taken exceptional care of them. A well cared for pre-owned boutique guitar (Bourgeois, Collings, Huss & Dalton, Santa Cruz, Goodall, Froggy Bottom) purchased by the second owner, will not depreciate a significant amount in value compared to that of a new guitar (regardless of the maker) should you eventually elect to sell it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion