The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-19-2023, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Looking for square neck resonator instruction

A friend gave me his Regal. He finally gave up on it and thought I might have better luck. I'm guessing it's circa 2000 - 2005 or so. Looks like their current RD40 version except it is natural and has a slotted headstock (which it appears they only put on their metal bodies now).

Despite 50+ years on guitar I'm thinking I need some help getting started.

Best case: Anybody know of a good resonator guitar instructor within driving distance of Roanoke VA?

2nd best case: Got any recommendations for online instructors?

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2023, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Hi, dunno anything about folks in your vicinity, but ther "Regal" resos are copies of original Dobros, and dobros are almost always tuned to open G - i.e., from 6 to 1 are simply GBDgbd.

If you need, you can buy capos but few use them. Get a half decent Steel, like a Dunlop Lap-dawg and a thumb pick and a couple of finger picks and noodle away.

IV on the 5th fret, and V on the 7th.

Old 04-19-2023, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
... Get a half decent Steel, like a Dunlop Lap-dawg and a thumb pick and a couple of finger picks and noodle away.

IV on the 5th fret, and V on the 7th.
That's about the sum of it!

I played dobro in a bluegrass band. I would say that learning to play a solo piece on dobro is very difficult (I don't know any!) but playing with a band is pretty straightforward. You don't have to do much for your input to sound good. Listen to the singers and play in the "holes". Just sliding into the chords is a good start, then some double stops with trills (Brother Ozwald style), then some rolls (Josh Graves style). Learn how to chop (you'll be doing that a lot!).

The basics are GBDgbd tuning, damping behind the slide and pick blocking. Any starting out on dobro YouTube video will get you going. After that just listen to a lot of bluegrass radio stations and mess around playing along.

Oh yes, buy a strap and learn to play standing. You'll be bloody useless to any bluegrass band if you can't play standing up!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write