The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-22-2017, 12:40 PM

Default Question on string gauge and tension

I intend on buying an OM/000 style guitar, probably a new Martin sometime in the near future. However I normally play in D standard, tuning ALL of my strings down 2 semi steps, as I play a lot of gritty, bass thumping acoustic blues. This works perfect on my 326ce mahogany Taylor that's built for medium gauge strings, but I notice that on other guitars with lighter gauge strings, tuning down creates lots of fret buzz and an overall lack of power and tone.

My question is this:

What causes more overall string tension/stress on a guitars neck and bridge: light gauge strings tuned to regular E standard, or medium gauge strings tuned down to D standard? Would mediums in D standard work well on something like an OM-21 or CEO-7? Thanks
Old 08-22-2017, 12:46 PM
Guest3224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoganymadness View Post
My question is this:

What causes more overall string tension/stress on a guitars neck and bridge: light gauge strings tuned to regular E standard, or medium gauge strings tuned down to D standard? Would mediums in D standard work well on something like an OM-21 or CEO-7? Thanks
There are charts for this type of thing floating around the net, but I can't find any. I think tuning a half step low (Eb) with mediums is about the same as using lights. So you're probably below normal tension tuned to D. I do it all the time as well and have even tuned down to A (!) on my beater while using mediums. It's an interesting sound for sure.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:55 PM

D'Addario publishes a tension chart for their strings, here: http://www.daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf

Lights at E-e total about 160-165 pounds, and lights at D-d are only about 135-140 pounds total. Mediums (56-13) tuned E-e are about 185 pounds, and when tuned down to Eb are about 155-160 pounds, so pretty comparable to lights at concert pitch.

If you are tuning down light gauge strings (53-12) by a whole step, a truss rod adjustment is often needed as a minimum, and sometimes a new saddle too. It's basically a whole new set-up.

I often tune down to D-d on certain guitars because they like that pitch and it is easier for me to sing certain songs too. Alternate tunings (usually lower) are a big part of my repertoire too, so I started using medium-lights (medium basses, light gauge trebles, aka "bluegrass" sets) at first, then switched over almost exclusively to mediums on most guitars.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:25 PM

Thanks guys, very helpful.
Earl, is a new setup required for dropped light gauge tuning due to fret buzz? Or will I suffer from intonation and/or improper neck tension (or lack thereof) with lights tuned below E standard? Sorry if that was worded confusingly...in other words.... Is a new setup required due to playability/sound, or because a lack of string tension will hurt the guitar and its intonation? Why would mediums tuned in D standard not need a new setup, while the lights would?
Old 08-22-2017, 01:47 PM

It's all just adjustments of the truss rod, likely not much else. Just experiment and get rid of the buzz.

If you're down tuning a guitar with lights and it buzzes try backing the truss rod out a little bit. Start with very little like 1/8th turn or 1/4 turn, then tune back up. (Strings will go flat if you loosen the truss rod.) Keep in mind what you did in case you overdo it and need to tighten.

No need to go "get a setup".

If you had to get the saddle lowered originally, this is a good case where it could be good to buy a new saddle, lower that one, and keep the original. If you did that and kept the original, it likely would have been a bit higher, and you might have been able to drop it in to use with the down tuned strings.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

try this : http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/stringxxiii.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
strings