The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-22-2017, 12:54 PM

Best fingerpicking guitar I've ever owned is my 814ce. Don't care much for the strummed sound, but my goodness it is just sparkly and present when fingerpicked. I also am liking my D18 fingerpicked, although the mediums are killing my fingers. I'm gonna have to go back to lights.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

I started with dreads (my first acoustic was a Martin DX1R and I've also owned an HD-28 and a D-16GT) and at that time played exclusively fingerstyle. I now have OM and 16" small jumbo sizes and still play >95% fingerstyle.

And my next guitar will be a dreadnought!

I play with relatively short (but very carefully shaped and finished!) nails, and love the enveloping bass and response of a good dreadnought. I found my HD-28 felt best with medium gauge strings (D'Addario PBs) while my D-16GT could go medium or light. I also don't like too low a setup on any guitar - I like to be able to dig in without any fret buzz.

Worth mentioning that when I do flatpick, it's almost invariably on my smallest guitar - so play how you like on whatever you like!

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:01 PM

I learned to fingerpick on a D-28 (first a clone then the real thing) with a 1-11/16" nut width. But I eventually grew to prefer 1-3/4" nut widths and the 000 / OM / GA body size for finger style. Lately I have developed a preference for shorter scales too, with 24-3/4" being a sweet spot between easy playing reach and maintaining string tension.

These kinds of preferences are an individual thing, so YMMV.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I learned to fingerpick on a D-28 (first a clone then the real thing) with a 1-11/16" nut width. But I eventually grew to prefer 1-3/4" nut widths and the 000 / OM / GA body size for finger style. Lately I have developed a preference for shorter scales too, with 24-3/4" being a sweet spot between easy playing reach and maintaining string tension.

These kinds of preferences are an individual thing, so YMMV.
I think the dread is where most of us start and I think it is still the most versatile model for the singer-songwriter. I also grew up w/1 11/16" nut width dreads but now prefer a 1 3/4" nut and probably prefer cedar to spruce. I've also rather liked shorter scales as they seem to respond a little more easily than 25.5" but a good long-scale can sound so rich. I think my next guitar will be a Furch GA in cedar/rosewood but it might be a short-scale OM in spruce/rosewood. We'll see.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 08-22-2017, 01:12 PM

Back when my only guitar was a dread, fingerpicking was my main style of play (as it is now). Now that I have the luxury of having a couple smaller guitars around too, I prefer to play on those, though I'm right at home on any of my guitars.

I've personally never experienced the supposed benefits of a wider nut / string spacing when it comes to my fingerstyle play, but my fingertips are not especially wide, nor are my hands particularly large.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la palma C View Post
Back when my only guitar was a dread, fingerpicking was my main style of play (as it is now). Now that I have the luxury of having a couple smaller guitars around too, I prefer to play on those, though I'm right at home on any of my guitars.

I've personally never experienced the supposed benefits of a wider nut / string spacing when it comes to my fingerstyle play, but my fingertips are not especially wide, nor are my hands particularly large.
I don't have particularly large hands either but I find a little room at the nut allows me more dexterity in left-hand licks when playing certain chords. Like, James Taylor licks on an A-major chord are easier on a nut that's even just slightly wider.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 08-22-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
I've been playing all styles on my dread for 50+ years.
I don't understand when I read other body sizes are better for fingerpicking.
I can understand personal preference for a different size for physical reasons, but soundwise? Hmmmm.

The laws of physics hold, all other things being equal a larger body will have more volume, projection and bass.
I want those qualities available to me regardless of what style of music I'm playing.

Too much bass you say? Not so, in the hands of a skilled player.
If the bass did sound overpowering I'd just change where I pluck/strum the bass strings and how hard.

Ferraris can go 15 MPH too.
Well put Tico!

Frankly, until very recent years I didn't even realize there were different guitar shapes and builds for different acoustic styles. I played everything on my dread, in total ignorant bliss. Now I'm aware, but it's not so important to me.

As far as nut width goes... I'm just as happy with a 1 11/16ths nut on my Martin with soft V neck as I am on my Taylors with the 1 3/4" necks; maybe happier as I don't have to stretch as much some times. Everybody is different, I guess.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-22-2017, 02:32 PM

I've always wanted to "succeed" using thumb and fingerpicks. Alas...

I carry on with flesh. My nails are no helps, as they break easily. Wish I could feel more comfortable w/thumb & finger picks...

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 08-22-2017, 02:35 PM

My dread is all-solid spruce/mahogany. Strings are Newtone Heritage 11's. Bare flesh of finger tips. Makes me smile

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 08-22-2017, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
I've always wanted to "succeed" using thumb and fingerpicks. Alas...

I carry on with flesh. My nails are no helps, as they break easily. Wish I could feel more comfortable w/thumb & finger picks...
You are not alone. A thumbpick feels like a shovel taped to my hand. And I tried butterfly picks on my fingers, no good there, either.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

I enjoy a flesh approach finger style on my D18 very much...I use good ol' Martin M540 phosphor bronze 12-54, they work nicely with M80 too.
Here's an original f/s on ye ol D18:

Old 08-22-2017, 03:12 PM

I've seriously tried to fingerpick with thumb and finger picks. Especially since I started playing my 12 string more, and the strings (courses of strings) are closer together, and it was difficult at first to "pick them out" individually. I even tried to grow out my nails, and go artificial.
But alas, old habits die hard. I have finger picked with the flesh of my thumb and fingers for 25-30 years, and cannot break free of it, So I persevered and learned where my fingers go on the 12 as well.

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing
Old 08-22-2017, 03:21 PM

Martin Dreadnought being the only acoustic I own. (I use a Metal Dunlop thumb pick plus metal fingerpicks on my index and middle finger).
Old 08-22-2017, 03:24 PM

I'm not an expert finger picker by any means, but I do finger pick as an accompaniment for singing on certain songs. I play bare finger. Live I play either a J-45 with light strings or a D-28 with mediums, always plugged in. Actions are medium low. In other words, I use the same guitar in any given set whether strumming or finger style. My soundman will turn the guitar up a tad when I'm playing finger style, since it's not as loud as hard strumming.

Gibson J-45, LR Baggs Anthem SL
Martin D-28, JJB Prestige 330
Seagull S-6
Gibson L-50
Old 08-22-2017, 03:55 PM

I finger pick all my guitars, even the electrics.

Dreads are fine, just different...even among themselves. Sometimes, depending on the style I am playing, I prefer them to smaller bodies. Sometimes I don't.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion