The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-27-2017, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP55 View Post
Just placed an order for the following:

Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Mic: AKG P220
Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M30x
Mic Cable: Mogami Gold Studio XLR-XLR [Is this the right cable? Can't find anything about the right cable on the mic's website...

Will run this into my home PC - only thing left is finding a DAW I can easily worth with. The simpler the better..

Would appreciate any thoughts on the above - thanks!
I'm not familiar with the mic or the headphones. The Focusrite Scarlett interfaces are quite nice and a very good value, especially the 2nd generation devices. I do, however, wonder if the cost of Mogami cables is 'in balance' with the cost/quality of the other pieces of gear. Maybe money saved on the cables could have been put into the next step up in interface or mic. But these are just my thoughts and the main thing is getting a system up and going that works well for you.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 07-27-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Awesome, thanks!

Would you start out with the DAW that comes with the Scarlett 2i2 or try something like Reaper? I'm so lost on the different DAWs....just want something SIMPLE to use!
The only DAWs I've ever used are GarageBand and Logic, so I don't really have any experience with any others. But it wouldn't hurt to try out the ProTools version that comes with the 2i2.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:28 AM

No matter what DAW you get, check the company Groove3 https://www.groove3.com/ for tutorial videos which making getting up to speed ridiculously easy. A few nights of watching videos and you'll be recording.

A a Windows user I like SONAR products, I find they come with enough bundled FX to make top shelf recordings. Their ProChannel alone is fantastic.

What I record with...

I have two areas where I record.

In my house, I use an HP Elitebook 8560P computer that is loaded with SONAR X3, Sound Forge 11, along with many Waves, Lexicon, and Slate plug-ins. The monitors are Yamaha HS5 and a HS10W sub. For an interface I use the RME babyface which is maxed out in capability as I have a Mackie 800R feeding the ADAT port with 8 channels of preamps (2 channel Drawmer 1960, 2 channel Langevin DVC, 2 channels Presonus RC500, 2 channels Focusrite One). Mics that I always have at home are 1 RODE Classic II, 2 modded by John Bonnell RODE NTK, a few Sennheiser MD421s, and a few Shure SM57 and SM58, a Blue Bluebird, along with a rebuilt Shure Model 300 ribbon. Also have a Digitech GSP1101 pre in the rack/

I also have a fairly well equipped project studio in a historic building and it's is a great sounding room. For the computer there I use an HP Elitebook 8760W which is loaded with the same software as my home setup. I also have Soundworks monitor and headphone correction software. The monitors are Yamaha HS8 fed by a Drawmer MC 2.1. The interface there is a RME UCX which is also hardwired to some nice preamps coming in though the six analog TRS inputs and eight more coming through the ADAT port fed by a RME ADI-8 DS. The preamps are: 2 Channel Neve Portico, 2 Channels Audient Mico, 4 Channel Sebatron VMP40000e, 2 Channel DiMaria/Presonus ADL600, 2 channels of Universal Audio LA610, Blue Robbie, and a Manley Voxbox.

For mics NEUMANN U87, M147, U89, (2) KM184, (2) TLM103, KMS105, BLUE Cactus, Kiwi, Blueberry, Dragonfly, VIOLET Flamingo, Globe Vintage, (2) Amethyst Vintage, CLOUD JRS34, PELUSO 2247, MXL Revelation and Revelation X/Y, CASCADE (2) Fathead II, SENNHEISER (2) MD421, SHURE (3) SM57, (1) SM7, (3) SM58 (1) Shure Super 55, SHINYBOX (2) Model 23

I have sound panels in the studio for breaking up long waves and for isolation.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
2 channel Langevin DVC,
Nice studio
You are the only other person on AGF that has ever mentioned having the Langevin DVC .
I have one that is my heart of my gig PA system

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-28-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Nice studio
You are the only other person on AGF that has ever mentioned having the Langevin DVC .
I have one that is my heart of my gig PA system

This song was recorded entirely through the DVC...
Old 07-29-2017, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
This song was recorded entirely through the DVC...
Wow excellent, I love that gravelly female voice, vaguely Janis-esque

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 07-29-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Just placed an order for the following:

Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Mic: AKG P220

Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M30x

Mic Cable: Mogami Gold Studio XLR-XLR [Is this the right cable? Can't find anything about the right cable on the mic's website...

Will run this into my home PC - only thing left is finding a DAW I can easily worth with. The simpler the better..

Would appreciate any thoughts on the above - thanks!

I have those very same headphones and they're amazing for the price. I compared them back to back against brands like shure and sennheiser in the $100-150 range, and these $50 headphones blew them out of the water in sound balance and clarity. Next time I'm going for the 50x because of the detachable cord, the 30x has this annoyingly long cord that can't be detached, that's my only gripe.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:52 PM

Just wanted to say that the above setup was aHUGE upgrade to my iPad GarageBand and USB mic. Different stratosphere actually, definitely worth the money. I started out trying Reaper for my DAW, seems to be all I need (and way more) for $60. Thanks for all of the suggestions - it definitely helped me find the right setup!
Now I just need to write some songs....
Old 07-30-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Just wanted to say that the above setup was aHUGE upgrade to my iPad GarageBand and USB mic. Different stratosphere actually, definitely worth the money. I started out trying Reaper for my DAW, seems to be all I need (and way more) for $60. Thanks for all of the suggestions - it definitely helped me find the right setup!
Now I just need to write some songs....
That's great to hear...have fun!
Old 07-31-2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Wow excellent, I love that gravelly female voice, vaguely Janis-esque
Thank You! Although that is me, seeing not a female, I hope at least my guitar and lapsteel playing is somewhat masculine
Old 07-31-2017, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank You! Although that is me, seeing not a female, I hope at least my guitar and lapsteel playing is somewhat masculine
Boy my bad My only excuse is I had just the night befor been watc"Little Girl Blue" a documentary on Netflix about Janis

I went back and listened and yes more of a Rod Stewart -ish sound( although I am not really big on , you sound like) And I must say such a vocal performance is far beyond what my voice is capable of producing. And is in a way even all the more interesting and perhaps more of a compliment

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 07-31-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
No matter what DAW you get, check the company Groove3 https://www.groove3.com/ for tutorial videos which making getting up to speed ridiculously easy. A few nights of watching videos and you'll be recording.

A a Windows user I like SONAR products, I find they come with enough bundled FX to make top shelf recordings. Their ProChannel alone is fantastic.

What I record with...

I have two areas where I record.

In my house, I use an HP Elitebook 8560P computer that is loaded with SONAR X3, Sound Forge 11, along with many Waves, Lexicon, and Slate plug-ins. The monitors are Yamaha HS5 and a HS10W sub. For an interface I use the RME babyface which is maxed out in capability as I have a Mackie 800R feeding the ADAT port with 8 channels of preamps (2 channel Drawmer 1960, 2 channel Langevin DVC, 2 channels Presonus RC500, 2 channels Focusrite One). Mics that I always have at home are 1 RODE Classic II, 2 modded by John Bonnell RODE NTK, a few Sennheiser MD421s, and a few Shure SM57 and SM58, a Blue Bluebird, along with a rebuilt Shure Model 300 ribbon. Also have a Digitech GSP1101 pre in the rack/

I also have a fairly well equipped project studio in a historic building and it's is a great sounding room. For the computer there I use an HP Elitebook 8760W which is loaded with the same software as my home setup. I also have Soundworks monitor and headphone correction software. The monitors are Yamaha HS8 fed by a Drawmer MC 2.1. The interface there is a RME UCX which is also hardwired to some nice preamps coming in though the six analog TRS inputs and eight more coming through the ADAT port fed by a RME ADI-8 DS. The preamps are: 2 Channel Neve Portico, 2 Channels Audient Mico, 4 Channel Sebatron VMP40000e, 2 Channel DiMaria/Presonus ADL600, 2 channels of Universal Audio LA610, Blue Robbie, and a Manley Voxbox.

For mics NEUMANN U87, M147, U89, (2) KM184, (2) TLM103, KMS105, BLUE Cactus, Kiwi, Blueberry, Dragonfly, VIOLET Flamingo, Globe Vintage, (2) Amethyst Vintage, CLOUD JRS34, PELUSO 2247, MXL Revelation and Revelation X/Y, CASCADE (2) Fathead II, SENNHEISER (2) MD421, SHURE (3) SM57, (1) SM7, (3) SM58 (1) Shure Super 55, SHINYBOX (2) Model 23

I have sound panels in the studio for breaking up long waves and for isolation.
Man, that is some serious recording equipment!
Old 07-31-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Boy my bad My only excuse is I had just the night befor been watc"Little Girl Blue" a documentary on Netflix about Janis

I went back and listened and yes more of a Rod Stewart -ish sound( although I am not really big on , you sound like) And I must say such a vocal performance is far beyond what my voice is capable of producing. And is in a way even all the more interesting and perhaps more of a compliment
I didn't take it bad, actually it was a great compliment that you compared me to Janis. IMO when she was on, she was one of the greats. I have a pretty wide range in my singing voice, and at my day gig, I cover many different types of singers, and yes, I do the occasional Janis and Rod Stewart song, but I can also turn the grit off and sing clean. Personally though, I prefer singing with the grit in tact, and have always preferred listening to the same type of singer. Horses for courses!
Old 08-01-2017, 05:57 AM

I've been using my ipad for recording for several years now, and though it had very limited options in the early years, it's become every bit as good as working on the pc/Cubase, and a whole lot more flexible and intuitive to work with.

That's my experience anyway.

First though, forget about GarageBand.
The best DAW for the iPad is Auria, it blows the rest of the DAW's for ios out of the water, and are comparable to fully featured pc DAW's for almost everything.
Many of the best and most respected plugin developers is supporting Auria and are making fully featured, dedicated plugins for the app, and they're a lot cheaper too.

For interface, I use the Alesis IO Dock, which gives me two inputs, which for me is enough.
That way, I can use any microphone I want, and even an electric guitar if need be.

GarageBand have nice and easy to use drum tools though.

The best about this setup?
I can carry everything in a small case and record on location, which have proven useful for me time and time again, for instance for collaboration with a friend who plays the upright Bass, which is a ***** to lug around.. 😄

Now, you need a high end ipad to make the most of it, I use the iPad Pro, it has more RAM, which is very useful if you want to avoid having to freeze tracks when using too many effects while recording.

My tracks on SoundCloud (Lønhart Duo):

YouTube page:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZT...HIR4tGnwhusf8w

Taylor 324
Martin DX1AE
Gretch G5420T Electromatic
Aria Pro II Cardinal Series 250
Old 08-01-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallDrink View Post
I've been using my ipad for recording for several years now, and though it had very limited options in the early years, it's become every bit as good as working on the pc/Cubase, and a whole lot more flexible and intuitive to work with.

That's my experience anyway.

First though, forget about GarageBand.

The best DAW for the iPad is Auria, it blows the rest of the DAW's for ios out of the water, and are comparable to fully featured pc DAW's for almost everything.

Many of the best and most respected plugin developers is supporting Auria and are making fully featured, dedicated plugins for the app, and they're a lot cheaper too.

For interface, I use the Alesis IO Dock, which gives me two inputs, which for me is enough.

That way, I can use any microphone I want, and even an electric guitar if need be.

GarageBand have nice and easy to use drum tools though.

The best about this setup?

I can carry everything in a small case and record on location, which have proven useful for me time and time again, for instance for collaboration with a friend who plays the upright Bass, which is a ***** to lug around.. [emoji1]

Now, you need a high end ipad to make the most of it, I use the iPad Pro, it has more RAM, which is very useful if you want to avoid having to freeze tracks when using too many effects while recording.

Nice I'm gonna check that DAW now. I love GarageBand, I've been using it for a few years now and the latest updates are pretty cool, I like the drums too, it's quite easy to lay down your own drum track and they do sound decent (I like the live rock kit). The inter app option works great for other model apps like bias. The limitations are there though, mainly the lack of multiple time signature options. You only get 4/4, 3/4, and 6/8, I don't know what's keeping Apple to add some odd meter options.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD