The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-10-2017, 07:58 PM

Default Ibanez Acoustic Bass

Hey Ya'll.

I played a Ibanez AE5BE acoustic bass at Guitar Center the other day. I thought it was pretty cool, and crazy cheap. I'm not a bass player, but have always thought it would be nice to have one around.

Then I thought.. oh, ask the nation. Is this thing for real? Will it hold up? I mean, I don't know, will it stay in tune? Will it remain stable if taken decent care of? Is it a decent instrument?

The other question is there anyone else like me? Did you buy one and it just sits around, or is it fun? (I know this is a personal question, but what the heck, the forum is awesome, its like talking to a close guitar friend, and I'm interested in your thoughts.)

Thanks
RNF
Old 07-10-2017, 08:35 PM

Ricky, acoustic bass guitars (ABG's) are fine for small gatherings of two or three musicians playing quiet music in a quiet room, but the truth is that they're not projective enough to be heard in large or loud groups. So you're faced with the paradox of an ostensibly acoustic instrument that needs to be plugged in to be heard.

So getting a small bass amp to go with it is necessary if you're actually going to play it with others.

ABG's can be kind of fun, especially if you're playing bass tracks for home recordings. They do take up a lot of space, though.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-10-2017, 09:20 PM

I hope its ok to ask about a cheap instrument. I see lots of money splashed around the forum. I don't have a lot of money, I just love guitars. I'm always looking for the best value for my money.

Interesting comment. So, basically do I want a toy that takes up space. Maybe.. I get it. Good counsel.
Thanks
RNF
Old 07-10-2017, 10:12 PM

I saw, what I now have worked out, was, a U-Bass for the first time recently. They look like serious fun, and actually, given the size, sound far better than they have any right to. I'd even go so far as to say, better than an acoustic bass, and far closer to a double bass.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Nelson View Post
...I played an Ibanez AE5BE acoustic bass at Guitar Center the other day. I thought it was pretty cool, and crazy cheap. I'm not a bass player, but have always thought it would be nice to have one around.

Then I thought...oh, ask the nation. Is this thing for real? Will it hold up? I mean, I don't know, will it stay in tune? Will it remain stable if taken decent care of? Is it a decent instrument?

The other question is there anyone else like me? Did you buy one and it just sits around, or is it fun? (I know this is a personal question, but what the heck, the forum is awesome, its like talking to a close guitar friend, and I'm interested in your thoughts.)
I've owned two good ABG's - both Guilds (B-50SB acoustic - which I sold - and B4E-AMB all-hog acoustic-electric) - been a bass player for 40+ years, and when it comes to tone and ease of handling I'll take the electric+amp option every time. As a matter of simple physics, you need a large sounding board/tone chamber to reproduce low frequencies (down to 40 Hz on the low-E string), and as Wade says unless you're playing a guitarron-sized instrument you're not going to be heard in an unplugged setting; truth be told, even the B-50 - at 18"x22"x7" definitely in guitarron territory - was useful only with a couple of fingerpicked/lightly-strummed guitars, and the only reason I still keep the 16"x20"x3" B4E around (interestingly enough, it puts out as much volume - and almost as much low end - as the B-50) is for those occasional gigs where the acoustic "look" is more important than tone (caught crap from a group of hidebound folkies about my Pedulla being "too loud" - no issues with the Guild at the exact same volume )...

If you're looking at an ABG I assume you're after something that resembles upright-bass tone to a greater or lesser degree, and while I'm also quite impressed with the new generation of "bass ukuleles" like the Kala U-Bass (which actually have their roots in the solid-body Ashbory mini-bass of the 1980's) the non-metallic "rubber" strings can be a turnoff to some players; that said, if you're on a budget a used Hofner Ignition Beatle/Club Bass or Epiphone Viola/Allen Woody, new Rogue (GC/MF house brand) VB-100, or new Epiphone EB-0, can be had in the $150-200 range if you shop around or hit a "Coupon Sale" day. With a set of flatwound or tapewound strings - you don't want that piercing, metallic roundwound high end on this type of bass - you can get a near-upright tone without the bulk of a larger instrument; my wife sometimes doubles on bass, and although her Hofner 5000/1 Deluxe is well out of your price range I'd recommend a similarly compact/lightweight/easy-fingering package - especially since you're a beginner...

You'll have to shop around for an appropriate bass amp to go with it, though; while you can find used bargains in the $100 price bracket I'd recommend something in the 40-50 watt range to start (it's all about clean power and headroom rather than sheer volume) and a 12" speaker minimum if you expect to reproduce those bottom notes satisfactorily. I've seen used '70s/80s Peavey, Kustom, Randall, and Univox combos - some of which have 15" speakers and 100+ watts power BTW (which will bring you even closer to an upright tone) - as well as similar late-model Acoustic and Fender combos routinely going for $100-150, and if you're lucky you might find the occasional Ampeg BA-Series for comparable money...

My thoughts: don't jump into this too quickly - take time to learn a little bit about the instrument/market, save up a few more bucks, and do it right the first time; it'll be well worth the investment...
Old 07-11-2017, 07:16 AM

One issue I have seen with ABGs plugged into PA systems (rather than a dedicated bass amp) - feedback. Obviously amp placement is easy to work with - turn it away from the player, move it off to the side, but that's not something you can do with a PA.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-16-2017, 12:52 PM

Thanks all. I bought it anyway. But now I know what I'm buying!
I'll have a fun new toy, a wall hanger, and my first base.
RNF

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments