The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-21-2017, 12:01 PM

Default Finnish-made Landola 12 string at Elderly Instruments

When I spent the summer in Finland in 1981, one brand of guitars and banjos I kept seeing at all the festivals where I was performing was Landola. The company was still in business at that point, and made some nice-sounding guitars. A lot of them were built from all-solid woods, solid spruce tops with solid birch backs and sides.

This one is not made of birch, and is clearly a fixer-upper, but it might be worth investigating if you have the skill set to optimize it. It's quite possible that it's made of mostly or all laminated woods, though - I have no personal experience with this particular model. But I thought I'd pass along the link:

https://www.elderly.com/catalog/prod...ed+Instruments

whm
Old 08-21-2017, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Landola are still in business ! http://www.landola.fi/
Old 08-21-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Landola are still in business ! http://www.landola.fi/
Okay, then they're back in business. They were shut down for some five or ten years, at least.

whm
Old 08-21-2017, 01:22 PM

Many of those were marketed in the US under the Espana name; the Brooklyn Sam Ash had a nearly-identical 12-string - as well as an uber-rare 6/12 double-neck - circa 1970. As I recall they were all-laminate, marketed at a price point slightly above the pre-lawsuit MIJ imports and just below the (far-better IME) Goya/Levin and Favilla instruments; used to see them around with fair frequency when I was hitting Washington Square Park (Greenwich Village) at the time - doesn't look like many survived, though...
Old 08-22-2017, 01:51 PM

$85 seems a might high with that much work involved.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:09 PM

Steve, last spring I picked up a Swedish-made Espana classical guitar at an estate sale for next to nothing. I looked into it and mine was built by Bjarten. It's interesting that Landola also made Espana guitars.

Most of the Landolas I played while in Finland had solid spruce tops on solid birch back and sides. They weren't great guitars, but they were definitely serviceable.

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion