The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-22-2017, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.
Default Kudos to Taylor Guitars

I was giving a Skype lesson to a student in France when he told me of his wonderful experience with Taylor.

The finish was starting to come off from the top of the side of the lower bout. As he was not the original owner of the instrument - thus not being covered under Taylor's warranty - he was quite willing to pay Taylor to repair it.

To his surprise, the folks at Taylor said that they would take care of it at no charge. They even covered the shipping to and from Paris!!

Nice, huh?
Old 08-22-2017, 10:42 AM

Wow, that really is exceptional service. The sign of a company that doesn't take it's customers for granted and stands behind their product. I've never owned a Taylor....but... I think I might someday!
Old 08-22-2017, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

That is a very interesting story, Toby! And good for Taylor for standing behind their guitars!

- Glenn
Old 08-22-2017, 11:04 AM

While I wouldn't count on them refinishing every second owner guitar for free, the folks at Taylor have always gone above and beyond.

Thanks for posting this, Toby.

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 08-22-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:11 AM

Interesting. I guess it never hurts to ask. Congratulations to your student, Toby.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:13 AM

Its a San Diego thang!

Those dudes at Taylor are just so mellow and accommodating of their customers. It's just good business.

On the other hand I always cringe when I see these posts of a company going way above and beyond for a customer. I have to wonder whether the good publicity is outweighed by the inevitable "well you took care of this guys guitar why can't you take care of mine?" communications they receive.

Bravo Taylor. I am huge fan and customer.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:21 AM
Guest316

Pretty cool!! I love a company willing to stand behind its products.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:23 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Thanks for posting, Toby. Always a plus to hear about such great customer service.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Thanks for posting, Toby. Always a plus to hear about such great customer service.
To me the cool thing is both parties did "the right thing". The owner offered to pay, but Taylor offered to take care of him. Amazing what a great company Taylor is and one reason I currently own 2 and have had 4 previously. Way to go Taylor, thanks Toby for posting a great story of exemplary service.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
While I wouldn't count on them refinishing every second owner guitar for free, the folks at Taylor have always gone above and beyond......
True, they have no obligation to anyone but the original owner. But they also don't want to have a peeling guitar out there representing the brand either. This certainly isn't the first time I've heard of them going above and beyond expectations. Thanks for sharing, Toby.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:13 PM

Very cool! My guess is they had no doubt it was a manufacturers defect. Otherwise if there was any question whatsoever I bet they wouldn't have covered it.

Regardless Taylor does fantastic repair work and for a very fair price.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing, Toby. It's anecdotes like this that make me really glad that by virtue of owning four of their wares I am "somewhat affiliated" with Taylor Guitars....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-22-2017, 01:23 PM

Default Taylor EC Support

It's nice to hear that they'll go to that length to support a customer.

I wonder if they're trying to build the brand since it's a US company and people might think twice before buying a Taylor because of possible support issues.

If so, it's great to hear that they're taking Customer Support that seriously.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponserv View Post
On the other hand I always cringe when I see these posts of a company going way above and beyond for a customer. I have to wonder whether the good publicity is outweighed by the inevitable "well you took care of this guys guitar why can't you take care of mine?" communications they receive.
Yep, lots of people don't understand that gracious gestures, by definition, can't be demanded.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

I subscribe to a publication that covers one my other obsessions, uh hobbies, and they have a column in each edition entitled "Where Credit is Due" or something like that. Lots of similar stories all the time. Old gear, second owners, abuse by the owner....some companies just want it to be known that they stand behind their no matter what.

These great customer service stories are not unusual, they just don't usually get the same publicity as the negative stuff. I think folks in "recreational" industries realize they are going after discretionary dollars where goodwill is very important. It's not like buying an airline ticket, LOL.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion