The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-22-2017, 09:23 AM

Default NGD - Sigma DM12E

So, I just received this guitar after asking your advices here between a few guitars, most of you chose this one. The appearance of the guitar is great, no issues there. However, it doesn't play very nicely imo. I have to try really hard to press barre chords and my hand gets tired after just a few of them. I've added some pictures from both side of the fretboard at the 12th fret and I hope you guys can help me figure out if the problem is a high action or if it's just me having trouble fretting it because I have small hands. There's no issues with buzzing.

Last edited by marit; 08-22-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:59 AM

Nice guitar! Enjoy!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 08-22-2017, 12:48 PM

Sorry about the pics being so big! I don't know how to make 'em smaller! Can you tell anything about the action in that angel? What is a normal action on a 12 string acoustic in mm?
Old 08-22-2017, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Great guitar, congratulations.

With imgur all you need to do is add an s-m-l-or h, just before the .jpg to specify small, medium, large, or huge thumbnail. Here is what your picture looks like with "l" ----- looks like this ----- http://i.imgur.com/E0VMBmel.jpg

And with "h" --- looks like this --- http://i.imgur.com/E0VMBmeh.jpg

Of course my photos will look bigger when you decrease the size of your images.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 08-22-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:12 PM

congrats, nice looking Sigma.
all it needs is a good set up and I'm sure it will play beautifully.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:21 PM

Yes, get it set up with low action.

However, barre chords are always going to be a pain on 12 strings.

I've played my Guild F2512 for 3 hour gigs and open chord songs are soooooooo much more appreciated.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:33 PM

I don't think there's actually anything wrong with the setup. It's just a combination of 12 strings, quite a big neck and me having a tiny hand. It plays quite lightly, it really is the size/width of the neck it seems.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Great guitar, congratulations.

With imgur all you need to do is add an s-m-l-or h, just before the .jpg to specify small, medium, large, or huge thumbnail. Here is what your picture looks like with "l" ----- looks like this ----- http://i.imgur.com/E0VMBmel.jpg

And with "h" --- looks like this --- http://i.imgur.com/E0VMBmeh.jpg

Of course my photos will look bigger when you decrease the size of your images.
Thank you, great trick!!!
Old 09-13-2017, 11:39 AM

So after some emails back and forth with musicstore.de , I put some new strings on the guitar. I also wanted to clean the fretboard and put some lemon oil on it since it was that dry, so I took off all the strings in the E>e, A>B etc order, cleaned and oiled it and then, in the same order put the new strings on. The new strings are GHS Bright Bronze 11-48. They have slightly more pull than the original EXP-38's (I don't believe they actually are as all the strings have gold ball ends) but as I tuned it to D standard this shouldn't be a problem at all as the overall tension would be far less than it was originally in E standard.

All fine and well, it sounded and played nicely, I then discovered a belly bulge from the bridge down to the bottom of the guitar. I've emailed them immediately that I want to return it, as I cannot imagine this is normal for a new guitar.

Am I right?
Old 09-14-2017, 04:31 AM

Here's a proper picture of the belly, is this OK? I did read online there's always a bit of a belly, even on flat top acoustics, but I never noticed it this significantly.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:36 AM

Actually that looks fairly normal to me but it is hard to tell from a photo. There will always be a curvature when under string tension. whether this is within the normal range I can't be sure as photo images can be deceiving.
I certainly hope it works out alright for you though.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:43 AM

Hard to play on your fret hand is most likely action too high at the nut.
Your guitar needs a good set up.
This is the string height on my Guild F-412 at the 12th fret. (Metric ruler)

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-14-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penrith Pete View Post
Actually that looks fairly normal to me but it is hard to tell from a photo. There will always be a curvature when under string tension. whether this is within the normal range I can't be sure as photo images can be deceiving.
I certainly hope it works out alright for you though.
You can really feel a curve, or belly, when going over it with your finger. I think it's about half a centimetre up.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:14 AM

Belly does not look unusual to me.

Regardless of that, how have you enjoyed it as far as playability and sound? I've been following this thread and get the vibe you don't love the guitar. I don't want to talk bad about the guitar or Sigma but you get what you pay for, a budget guitar is gonna be a budget guitar.

I've never played a Sigma but if it's anything like other "budget" companies under bigger names (Epiphone-Gibson, Madeira-Guild etc) They cut corners.I would have looked for a Yamaha or Takamine 12 string. And I would have played it before I ever bought it. Even my 500 dollar Guild 12 string took me a few times to and from the store before I sprung for it.

My buddy has a 200 dollar Yamaha 6 string he got 3 years ago. Yesterday I put new strings on it for him and it sung! He had never changed the strings before so it was a huuuuuge difference. Compared it directly to my Taylor 214 and, obviously I preferred the Taylor, but I was expecting it to blow it away. No dice. The Yamaha played and sounded great. I could nitpick if I wanted to but it does its job well.

In conclusion, do you see yourself loving this guitar for what it is and playing it on the reg? Or questioning it's "flaws" and always trying to make it sound "better". That sounds frustrating to me. Just my 2 cents
Old 09-14-2017, 06:29 AM

You need a really well cut nut. As low as possible. Try putting a capo on the first fret that should be the sort of feel you would get from a well cut nut. I do agree that cowboy chords are the best bet on a 12 string or go electric, there are a few nice electric 12s out there and they are generally easier to manage. Personally, I think the same saying applies to boats and 12 strings. There are two days when you are happy with them, the day you buy 'em and the day you sell 'em.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion