The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: More versatile brand of guitar? (Better sustain, more overtones etc)
Webber 5 62.50%
New Irish made Avalons 3 37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2017, 07:02 AM

Default New Avalons vs Webber in sustain department?

Just curious which of these brands generally has more sustain and overtones? Which brand generally make a more versatile guitar for many playing styles?
Old 08-22-2017, 12:14 PM

Default Webber vs avalon

I have a Webber 000 and can't imagine a better sounding or playing guitar for almost any style.

Keep in mind though, that you can have too much of both sustain and overtone.

Too much sustain in the notes bleed over each other.

Current Taylor's suffer from an abundance of overtone, to the point where they overwhelm the fundamental.

Some people like it, some people don't. There are lots of threads about the issue.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:15 PM

Wow, I don't know that I'll ever replace my Webber OM with anything (had it for 20 years). It has loads of sustain and overtones but obviously not too much for me.

Never heard of the Irish Avalons, but I'm intrigued!

I didn't vote because I haven't played an Avalon to compare.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:39 AM
Charter Member

Well, I've owned both....and love both! Davids work speaks for itself. Wonderful Dry, Woody tone. The new Avalons are outstanding as well. Lowdenesque sound but slightly more compressed. As far as sustain I would say my Avalons had it in spades.

Curious, what kind of music do you play? Of course you can play any style on any guitar. But, The Avalons are great for Celtic haunting open tuning stuff naturally. I would say the Webber's are more versatile as my old OM was a great Celtic instrument but also equally at home playing folk, blues, etc...

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion