The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-21-2017, 08:46 PM

That all blacked out finish with black tuners is very sexy.

Seriously leaning towards the PA-CH for my next guitar.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-21-2017, 09:17 PM

Rainforest road trip -- Climate Free in Brazil -- Kramster, you listenng? Load me up with camera gear, I'm starting to pack. Woot woot

Great NGD photos - and congratulations on a fine CF instrument!

A Macchu Piccu photo would be nice too, don't ya know.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

A beautiful Rainsong and great pics ! Congrats. But I do feel sorry for the cow. Only one animal was harmed making this NGD,
Old 08-21-2017, 10:42 PM

Some impressions on this guitar:

-I like that it is shaped like a traditional acoustic guitar. It's a form factor and a look that I'm very accustomed to and in that regard, it has an instant familiarity.

-Perfect size for couch and recliner playing - which is where I most often like to play. The short scale and 12-fret neck is really enjoyable to play.

-It is exceptionally light weight - amazingly so. Makes it so easy to handle and play in different positions. And the light weight construction (with no bracing) makes the top very responsive to even light finger style playing input.

-The tone is excellent - very pleasing, and remarkably similar to that of wood guitars, with a bit more sparkle added, which I really appreciate. This extra sparkle is helpful tonally as I play finger style with this guitar and plucking the strings with fleshy finger tips benefits from the sparkle. The guitar has practically none of the sometimes very metallic tone that some other CF guitars can exhibit. This is playing with the Elixir 80/20 nanos that came with the guitar. I would imagine that with PBs, the tone would be very close to the tone of some wood guitars. We shall see.

-The clarity and sustain of the notes, especially the open strings, is so crystal clear that one might argue that it's better than wood. Playing in double drop D, that open low D string sounds fantastic.

-Tuning stability is very good.

-I like that it has a truss rod. The neck may never need to be adjusted, but the fact that it can be adjusted, if ever desired, is a big plus in my view.

-The hard shell case it comes with is excellent. I may choose to use a gig bag on some occasions, but having the hard shell case gives excellent protection.

-And obviously, of course, the fact that the guitar is impervious to changes and variations in ambient temperature and humidity make it really nice to move around with, without any worry.

Last edited by DHart; 08-21-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
That all blacked out finish with black tuners is very sexy.

Seriously leaning towards the PA-CH for my next guitar.
Johnny Cash would probably have loved this blacked-out stealth guitar!

Last edited by DHart; 08-21-2017 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Nice buy and great photos... you done real good like!! Glad I could help a little in your quest for a perfect match.
Your generosity in allowing me to sample so many CF guitars was a Godsend to me. Thanks, again!
Old 08-21-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Some impressions on this guitar:

-I like that it is shaped like a traditional acoustic guitar. It's a form factor and a look that I'm very accustomed to and in that regard, it has an instant familiarity.

-I like that it has a truss rod. The neck may never need to be adjusted, but the fact that it can be adjusted, if ever desired, is a big plus in my view.

-The hard shell case it comes with is excellent. I may choose to use a gig bag on some occasions, but having the hard shell case gives excellent protection.
Agree on all counts. Here's mine next to my Larrivee OM-03R. Almost the exact same size. (Rainsong is a hair thinner) Mine has the old RTF finish. The new Satin finish is much quieter. I believe your CH-OM is satin with a gloss top.

Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-21-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Agree on all counts. Here's mine next to my Larrivee OM-03R. Almost the exact same size. (Rainsong is a hair thinner) Mine has the old RTF finish. The new Satin finish is much quieter. I believe your CH-OM is satin with a gloss top.

Nice pair, your Larrivee and RS OM.

Yes, my CH-OM1100NS has satin sides, back and neck, with a high gloss top.

I'm amazed at how strong the carbon fiber top is, to be so thin and responsive to playing input, and yet not require any bracing for strength.

The clarity of these guitars is so good, I can see why many who have gone CF have resigned to not buy wood any more.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:13 AM

Very nice! Bet she sounds great too! Congrats!
Old 08-22-2017, 08:09 AM

Congrats DHart, great choice there and looks great. As for the case/gig bag decision I have not used the case since day 1, opting for an Access stage 1 gig bag that fits it perfectly. Plenty of protection for everyday use, and I travel weekly though I don't check it in at all(helps being at the controls of the plane). Not a mark on the Shorty in all this time and the bag has held up incredibly well too. I would think it would be easier for RV travel fwiw.
Enjoy the new Rainsong.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:30 AM

Awesome thread, and photos, DH. So glad you like the Rainsong.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Koh View Post
Very nice! Bet she sounds great too! Congrats!
Thank you, Jimmy. . She does sound great. I never imagined that a carbon fiber guitar could sound as good as, even better than many wood guitars. The tones and clarity are wonderful.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
Congrats DHart, great choice there and looks great. As for the case/gig bag decision I have not used the case since day 1, opting for an Access stage 1 gig bag that fits it perfectly. Plenty of protection for everyday use, and I travel weekly though I don't check it in at all(helps being at the controls of the plane). Not a mark on the Shorty in all this time and the bag has held up incredibly well too. I would think it would be easier for RV travel fwiw.
Enjoy the new Rainsong.
Dave... thanks for the info on the gig bag. The Access Stage 1 gig bag sounds like just what I need for travel in the motorhome. I may only very rarely use the hard shell case, but I'm glad to have it for those rare occasions.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new CF guitar! Is that top uni-directional? I had the Rainsong APLE Shorty which has (I believe) the same body and neck (OM body, 12 fret neck) and I loved it. And the tone was very good with the uni-directional fiber top. Rainsong makes great guitars. I would definitely own one again.

I love having a CF guitar. I currently have the little Journey Overhead OF660 and it's just so nice having something that you can take literally anywhere and not worry about it.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful pictures! Makes me want to take my CH-OM up to the Colorado Mountains and take some photos. Congrats again!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber