The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-02-2015, 05:01 PM

Bob, very interesting. I've played quite a few Sobells and have three guitars and an octave mandolin by Stefan. He's pretty much right about having to "dig in" when playing one, but they're capable of great nuance, too.

I'd love to do a road trip up to Maine and order a guitar like you're getting! It's on the list . . . .

Tim
Old 10-03-2015, 05:13 AM
Charter Member

Default Brondel and Sobell

I found a photo of Stefan's bracing by Michael Watt's (thanks Michael) taken during a visit to Stefan Sobell's shop. The photo was a broader shop photo, but I have cropped it in to focus on the bracing.

Both luthier's guitars have strong lateral arches, but besides that, they differ substantially. Take a look at their plantilla, bridge plate, x-brace carve, tone bars and finger braces configuration and carve and you will see they share very little in common between the two luthiers (hence my totally different under the hood comment).

Old 10-03-2015, 05:46 AM

Yes, it's pretty clear there's an aesthetic relationship primarily. Very cool to find that pic. Thanks, Tim
Old 10-03-2015, 06:02 AM

Think in the thread on Stefan, Michael says he has moved on from the bracing of this top. It does look interesting though.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Think in the thread on Stefan, Michael says he has moved on from the bracing of this top. It does look interesting though.
Perhaps you are correct. It is somewhat amorphous in Michael's AGF post from 2010. In either case, it was the only image that I could find. Here it is for those who are interested in reading it.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=181272
Old 10-03-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
Bob, very interesting. I've played quite a few Sobells and have three guitars and an octave mandolin by Stefan. He's pretty much right about having to "dig in" when playing one, but they're capable of great nuance, too.
I'd agree with this. I've owned 4 Sobells and have played many, many more. Many Sobells I've played have been incredibly responsive and, because they sustain so much, not a lot of right-hand effort is needed to precipitate that. That's especually been the case with some model 0s and 1s I've played.

Relatively, I've found the MS model to need the most right-hand effort. It's also worth noting that their (Sobells in general) profound separation makes them very unforgiving of poor technique. That's a good thing - they make you a better player if you stick with them.

I've played quite a few Brondel's and, personally, have found that they share quite a bit in common with Sobells sonically...at least when compared to many other guitars from the other side of the Pond. Specifically, most Brondells I've played have had great separation and clarity, and have had a rather "dry" but well-defined bottom-end. I've also found them more variable than Sobells though: Laurent builds in many different body shapes and with a greater variety of woods than does Stefan.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 10-03-2015, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing your experience with Laurent's guitars.

With my limited experience auditioning Laurent's guitars, I would say sonically, his "benchmark" target for his guitars are very clearly pre-war Martin sound. Comparatively, I think that his guitars are somewhat different then their sound in that they may have a bit more separation, projection due to the lateral arch and are perhaps less "dry" with more overtone content.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Default Brondel Update 12

Laurent sent me this build update shot of the guitar body now that it has eight of coats of oil varnish on it. Apparently, the pores of this mahogany are extremely deep and thirsty...

Check out how the quartersawn interlocking grain of the mahogany is developing into a chatoyant, contrasting, block mottle figure under finish. It is absolutely insane...

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 10-07-2015 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Added details
Old 10-06-2015, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Insane is right--that is really incredible!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 10-06-2015, 07:27 PM

That is mind blowing!!! So amazing with the varnish! Tim
Old 10-06-2015, 08:07 PM

Very nice back indeed.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Brondel Update 13

Laurent has completed applying the oil varnish to the A-2c. He told me the Honduran Mahogany had extremely deep pores and really drank up the oil varnish. The guitar will now cure in his shop until the end of October.

Here are some shots that he took this morning outside.

The exposure on this shot may be a bit deceiving. The sunlight really is "blowing out" the the lighter tones of the top making the Honduran Mahogany sides appear much darker than they really are. However, what can be seen is some beautiful silking in the quartersawn Adirondack Spruce top.

Now here's the back seen more accurately. The decorative large block mottle figure is pronounced in the Honduran Mahogany back. The contrasting and simple ebony/maple arrow motif back strip is also seen and ebony/maple/ebony purflings defining the edges made from matching Honduran Mahogany binding.

The block mottled figure also carries over into sides of the guitar. A contrasting Brazilian Rosewood end graft is seen in this shot of the end of the guitar to match the bridge, fingerboard, peghead veneers and tuner buttons.

The Brazilian Rosewood peghead veneer is BRW bound and has maple purfling. The neck's heel plate is also is finished with Brazilian Rosewood to match the other design features.

A flowing figure can be seen in the Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard. In the second shot when the neck is flipped, you can see how the BRW binding and maple purfling surrounds the fingerboard.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:13 AM

Default Agree with others

Others have said it so nothing new here to add but the figuring on that hog is unreal. Unlike anything I've seen before. Congrats on an exceptional build.

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 10-13-2015, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychojohn View Post
Others have said it so nothing new here to add but the figuring on that hog is unreal. Unlike anything I've seen before. Congrats on an exceptional build.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Very nice back indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
That is mind blowing!!! So amazing with the varnish! Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Insane is right--that is really incredible!
psychojohn, JoeCharter, Tim Porter and Nemoman: Thanks very much!

When I first saw this set among the sets that Laurent had, I actually had to research what this type of figure was called. I had not seen it before. I found this great veneer book (Figure Types in Mahogany) originally published by "The Mahogany Association" in 1956. Check out the description on pages 10-11 (plate no. 6 and description), I realized how unusual this particular set was. It is similar to "beeswing" but is apparently rarer at this scale of mottle.

http://mbveneer.com/sites/www.mbvene...ogany_book.pdf

After talking with Tom Thiel (Northwinds Tonewoods) regarding the provenance of this old growth wood going back to Albert Constantine (http://www.constantines.com/constantineshistory.aspx) in the 1960s made it all the more special. Laurent has certainly found a way to bring out its beauty.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Absolutely love the figuring on this. Looks like it is glowing!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop