The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-25-2012, 10:44 PM

Lots of 12 fret love so far........ here is some more,

Osthoff 00012C African Blackwood/Italian

Lyric, rich, just the right weight on E and B strings, great harmonics........

Got it as part of a deal where I was just going to sell it ......

almost didn't even play it :-)..........after playing a couple of days I was hooked!

Old 04-25-2012, 11:02 PM

Two really surprising guitars for me:

My plain-jane looking Larrivee hogtop parlor - among the first hogtop parlors they made. Surprising surprising tone, with quite a big bass repsonse, strong mids, and sparkling trebles in a very small short-scaled guitar package. And a lot going on harmonically too. it's not a pretty looking guitar, but it sounds pretty. Yes, you can tell it's a small guitar, but it's got a bigger and more complex tone than you'd expect.

The other re some Eastman E10-OM's I've played. All remarkably consistent in tone, and oen that i really like. I would not have expected that in a Chinese made guitar. I guess you could say the Eastman's gave me an education about overseas guitars.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:10 AM

I had been on the search for a new guitar for the past seven months. I tried guitars in Toronto, Montreal, London, Geneva. Every business trip, I would try to hit a shop and find the next one. It go to be a bit of blur, actually.

The one that caught me was a Walden G1070. When the shop offered me a good price on the G3030CE and I researched the preamp, I pulled the trigger. Construction wise, it ticked all the right boxes. Playability is so there.

After countless Guild, Martin, Seagull, Taylor trials, a hand made guitar from China turned my head the most. The quality/price point made the decision too simple.

I hate admitting that where a guitar is made sits in my head. Increasingly, there is no basis for it.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:01 AM

I would have to say the most surprising so far was a Maton M225. The lowest end Maton with the laminated Queensland Maple back and sides. Absolutely fantastic sounding acoustic guitar. Couldn't keep it due to the narrow neck, but I sure would have liked to. FWIW, it got replaced with a very expensive custom build. If you can handle a narrow neck, this is an awesome guitar!!
Old 04-26-2012, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

I got a lot more out of a Silver Creek rosewood dread than I ever expected. I also had a laminated maple and solid spruce top on an Epi jumbo that was incredible for under $200.

While I wouldn't tell you the X Series Martin guitars sound like their higher end all solid wood guitars, I personally feel they sound really good on their own account.

What I still have in my collection that seems to shock people when they play it is my Taylor 110. Mine seems to have a boomier tone than any you might ever play in the store. If you didn't see the name on the headstock, you probably would never guess it's a Taylor.

Among electrics, I have an Xaviere Telecaster with dual humbuckers that is incredible. I bought it figuring to swap pickups and just use the woodwork, but I haven't touched a thing.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:21 AM

The Yamaha F345...surprising sound from an all-laminate guitar. Looks like trash, though...hate the way it looks.

Cort Earth 100 series...I finally got one used (spruce/"mahogany"), despite the moral issues I've had with the company, and I am surprised by its tone. If you've seen the ones with the wood rosettes and other trimmings, you know they *look* good. Turns out, some of them sound really good, too.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:20 PM

My Yamaha FG 730S, just sounds superb, magically awesome!
Old 04-26-2012, 01:32 PM

My Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R. I had read some nice reviews about it, so I ordered one off of eBay. Very rich sound for not a large amount of cash...
Old 04-26-2012, 01:58 PM

My '68 Kalamazoo KG-10. It has a wooden adjustable bridge with ebony saddle. I bought it from Gruhn's without playing it, and my hopes were not that high for having any kind of tone to speak of.
When it arrived, it sounded pretty good. Then I put Dean Markley Alchemy 13's on it, and the little box sprang to life. I play it a lot, and would not hesitate to record with it. It doesn't have a complicated sound with lots of overtones like my AJ or my Olson, but it has spot on intonation and a very nice, full tone.
For the lowliest acoustic made by Gibson the last year before Norlin took over, I must have lucked out and bought one of the best ones. The part that floors me is how rich the harmonics are. They just ring on like a chime.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:03 PM

Martin 00-28VS
Old 04-26-2012, 02:03 PM

The sound of my old Washburn Dreadnought being crushed underneath a SUV surprised me the most.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Musical minimalist

there have been so many over the years, but in recent times, I had a "road worn" Eastman AC412 that was pretty suprising.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashup View Post
The sound of my old Washburn Dreadnought being crushed underneath a SUV surprised me the most.
Oh no. That sounds like a terrible story waiting to be told.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaren View Post
Stanford PSD20 and PSRD20.
Not small bodied in size and for SURE not small bodied in tone.
I havent owned any Martins but have tried plenty. I dunno man...the Stanfords pack a WALLOP!!!
+1. It would take a lot of $$$ for me to part with my PSD-21!

Stanford PSD-21
Martin HD-28V
Martin 000-15
Fender DG100

I once thought that I had made a mistake. But, as it turns out, I was wrong.

www.chilhoweemountainband.com

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/slowpickr?feature=mhee
Old 04-26-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus View Post
it was a $2,000 Gibson J-50 from the late '60s if I'm remembering all of the details just right. I wanted it, was wanting to start the bargaining process (would have bought it for the 2k if bargaining didn't work) but then a shop sale guy was rude to me, so I left. I still think about that guitar but they can keep it. I'll find another - I don't reward rude people no matter how badly I want a product.
Seems like it'd of been an opportunity to reward yourself. Rude is with every breath we take these days. Good 60's Gibson's ain't. I'd of put my fingers in my ears and handed him the dough between my teeth

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion