The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-21-2014, 08:33 AM

Default Cut costs for an Ameritage/Invest in a Hoffee

Hi guys,

I am stuck in a dilemma and would appreciate advice from the community. I am thinking to cut costs and go with an Ameritage instead of the Hoffee to upgrade my back and sides.

My only concern is the safety of the guitar during shipment. Are there any horror stories out there regarding shipping (suspended in a cardboard box with sufficient padding) in an Ameritage as opposed to a Hoffee?

The guitar in question is valued at 5 figures. I know that ideally, I would upgrade my back and sides AND get the Hoffee, but my budget has already been overstretched by quite a bit and I REALLY cannot afford to get both. So I would like to know from your personal experiences and good judgement if it is safe for me to ship such a valuable guitar in an Ameritage case.

Cheers,
Marcus Wong.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:42 AM

Default Cut costs for an Ameritage/Invest in a Hoffee

The case makes little difference in shipping assuming the shipper/packer knows what he is doing.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanheeg View Post
The case makes little difference in shipping assuming the shipper/packer knows what he is doing.
Thank you for your input Dylan! If true, that would be a HUGE relief. Anyone have anything to say against this?

Dylan, what would you say is the best way to pack the guitar and case?
Old 10-21-2014, 08:47 AM

I haven't seen the latest version of a Hoffee but based on the earlier versions, Ameritage should provide at least as much if not more protection during shipping. Hoffee makes a great case but you are mostly paying for weight reduction over an Ameritage, not extra protection.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

I don't have experience with Hoffee, but have had a couple of Ameritage cases. The Ameritage is very well padded in the body area and have very good neck support. My cases did not have any support in the peghead area (not sure if that is an option for Ameritage but I believe it may be for Hoffee). The peghead area could be supported by packaging material in shipment. The Ameritage is very sturdy (and heavy). The Ameritage seems to seal pretty well, but there is no gasketing. I can understand your shipping concerns: Is your builder packaging the guitar/case for shipment? Who is responsible for repair/replacement if there is damage? What is the coverage of insurance that will be used for shipment?

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 10-21-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Chasson View Post
I haven't seen the latest version of a Hoffee but based on the earlier versions, Ameritage should provide at least as much if not more protection during shipping. Hoffee makes a great case but you are mostly paying for weight reduction over an Ameritage, not extra protection.
Hi Kent, that is really promising news for me!

However, have you seen the videos posted on YouTube by Jeff himself? He tosses the case with a guitar inside multiple times off a one-storey height with no harm to the guitar! Are you saying that the Ameritage would be able to survive such impact as well?

Link to Hoffee video (starts at 6 minute mark):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPqF...HIvklFuxyShjdA
Old 10-21-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I don't have experience with Hoffee, but have had a couple of Ameritage cases. The Ameritage is very well padded in the body area and have very good neck support. My cases did not have any support in the peghead area (not sure if that is an option for Ameritage but I believe it may be for Hoffee). The peghead area could be supported by packaging material in shipment. The Ameritage is very sturdy (and heavy). The Ameritage seems to seal pretty well, but there is no gasketing. I can understand your shipping concerns: Is your builder packaging the guitar/case for shipment? Who is responsible for repair/replacement if there is damage? What is the coverage of insurance that will be used for shipment?
Hi Chuck, noted on the peghead area. Will be sure to ask him to include bubble wrap or something similar.

Those are really good questions which I will pose to him now! Thank you for the sound advice!

And yes, he will be packaging the guitar/case for shipment.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:10 AM

The Ameritage is no Hoffee. Back in the early days of Ameritage, I worked with them on getting their shell stiffer as it didn't come close to the rigidity of the Harptone (still the best wood shell ever made). They were quite good in those days about attention to detail, and when I ordered cases (and this was prior to them moving manufacturing out of Wisconsin) they fit perfectly. I stopped using them for a long time because of their pricing structure to builders didn't work for me and so I went to Calton. When Calton collapsed, everyone scrambled. For a builder like me that has instruments in a variety of sizes outside the norm, I needed a custom case and so went back to Ameritage.

It was an unmitigated disaster each time. For a case to function properly, it isn't enough to hold the guitar steady, but rather that it make contact as much along the sides as possible to spread any impact it might have. I had several cases in which the pattern I sent and the case I received had nothing to do with each other. In each instance over 3/4" of play in a variety of places. The guitars didn't sit firmly in the cases. Their customer service person is lacking in any interest of providing a product they purport to supply. For a while I tried only going through them, not wanting to step on their forehead. Eventually I had to go around them to Tim Flynn.

Additionally, and to quote a dealer of note, the only cases she's seen not fail in transit to her shop are Caltons, Hoffee's and Karura.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberkowitz View Post
The Ameritage is no Hoffee. Back in the early days of Ameritage, I worked with them on getting their shell stiffer as it didn't come close to the rigidity of the Harptone (still the best wood shell ever made). They were quite good in those days about attention to detail, and when I ordered cases (and this was prior to them moving manufacturing out of Wisconsin) they fit perfectly. I stopped using them for a long time because of their pricing structure to builders didn't work for me and so I went to Calton. When Calton collapsed, everyone scrambled. For a builder like me that has instruments in a variety of sizes outside the norm, I needed a custom case and so went back to Ameritage.

It was an unmitigated disaster each time. For a case to function properly, it isn't enough to hold the guitar steady, but rather that it make contact as much along the sides as possible to spread any impact it might have. I had several cases in which the pattern I sent and the case I received had nothing to do with each other. In each instance over 3/4" of play in a variety of places. The guitars didn't sit firmly in the cases. Their customer service person is lacking in any interest of providing a product they purport to supply. For a while I tried only going through them, not wanting to step on their forehead. Eventually I had to go around them to Tim Flynn.

Additionally, and to quote a dealer of note, the only cases she's seen not fail in transit to her shop are Caltons, Hoffee's and Karura.
Hi Dave, that is really unfortunate to hear! My luthier has been using Ameritage so I will ask him if he experiences such an issue with his custom cases. If so, he will either have to fill in the gaps with his own protection or we will have to seek out an alternative to it! Thank you for pointing out these issues Glad you have found an alternative you are now (hopefully) happy with!
Old 10-21-2014, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Default Shipping

Shipping overnight air I hope !!

dgd
Old 10-21-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
...Are you saying that the Ameritage would be able to survive such impact as well?
I haven't tried But I have stood on them from the top and side. And I have shipped dozens of guitars across the country and overseas and never a problem. Again, I've heard nothing but good things about the latest Hoffee (which I haven't seen). But I don't hesitate to ship in an Ameritage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberkowitz View Post
.. I had several cases in which the pattern I sent and the case I received had nothing to do with each other. In each instance over 3/4" of play in a variety of places....
That's too bad. My one experience with customization with them was not a great success either. Nevertheless, the cases I've bought from them are strong and well made. I've never had any kind of structural problem and the only complaint I've had was weight.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstring View Post
Shipping over night air I hope !!

dgd
It will be overseas unfortunately!! But it arrives fairly quickly. My last shipment took 3 days only
Old 10-21-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Chasson View Post
I haven't tried But I have stood on them from the top and side. And I have shipped dozens of guitars across the country and overseas and never a problem. Again, I've heard nothing but good things about the latest Hoffee (which I haven't seen). But I don't hesitate to ship in an Ameritage.

That's too bad. My one experience with customization with them was not a great success either. Nevertheless, the cases I've bought from them are strong and well made. I've never had any kind of structural problem and the only complaint I've had was weight.
Hi Kent, my luthier trusts you so I guess I have no choice but to trust you as well :P
My guitar would be requiring a custom made case... If there is indeed a fit problem, would you still stand by Ameritage for shipping overseas?
Old 10-21-2014, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

You might want to consider a Hiscox. They cost less than an Ameritage, and weigh waaaaay less. They are considered flight cases.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0jbDM2MOxs

Steve
Old 10-21-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
You might want to consider a Hiscox. They cost less than an Ameritage, and weigh waaaaay less. They are considered flight cases.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0jbDM2MOxs

Steve
Hey Steve. Good point. However, Ameritage is covered in the base price of my build so there will be no surcharge involved. Hiscox will however incur a surcharge :/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
ameritage, hoffee, safe, shipping