The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-08-2011, 10:32 AM

Default Would you swap an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500M for a Blueridge BR-163?

As the title says, although it's not exactly a straight swap. The other guitar soon to be in my stable is a Martin 000-15M, so it's either:-

Martin 000-15M & (my current) Epiphone AJ-500M

OR

Martin 000-15M & Blueridge BR-163

I have been playing a year. At the moment i play 60% Fingerstyle & 40% strumming, but im finding myself getting more into fingerstyle as the weeks pass.

I love the sound of the AJ-500M, especially strummed, but love the comfort of 000's - I feel like i can play for longer periods, be more experimental (possibly due to comfort) & progress quicker as a result. For versatility, i know it would probably make sense to keep with my current (or soon to be setup), but should i do the swap, Will the Blueridge BR-163 make a good strummer?

Also, I am anticipating that when i recieve my brand new Martin 000-15M direct from the Martin factory in 3 weeks time, that it will be KILLER!!! - If i opted for the swap & ended up with the 000-15M & BR-163 Combo, would the 000-15M relegate the BR-163 to a hardly used 000, gathering dust?

& lastly, if you had the choice, What would you do?

Thanks.

Last edited by mashup; 09-08-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashup View Post
As the title says, although it's not exactly a straight swap. The other guitar soon to be in my stable is a Martin 000-15M, so it's either:-

Martin 000-15M & (my current) Epiphone AJ-500M

OR

Martin 000-15M & Blueridge BR-163

I have been playing a year. At the moment i play 60% Fingerstyle & 40% strumming, but im finding myself getting more into fingerstyle as the weeks pass.

I love the sound of the AJ-500M, especially strummed, but love the comfort of 000's - I feel like i can play for longer periods, be more experimental (possibly due to comfort) & progress quicker as a result. For versatility, i know it would probably make sense to keep with my current (or soon to be setup), but should i do the swap, Will the Blueridge BR-163 make a good strummer?

Also, I am anticipating that when i recieve my brand new Martin 000-15M direct from the Martin factory in 3 weeks time, that it will be KILLER!!! - If i opted for the swap & ended up with the 000-15M & BR-163 Combo, would the 000-15M relegate the BR-163 to a hardly used 000, gathering dust?

& lastly, if you had the choice, What would you do?

Thanks.
No I would not.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooglins View Post
No I would not.
Thanks for your input
Old 09-08-2011, 11:25 AM

But why BR-163? Why not another dread, perhaps a rosewood dread?

I love my AJ-500M and I'd expect it to be a better strummer than the 000-15M. I'm actually not too fond of the 15 series, but I'm sure I'm an anomaly. If I were you, I would keep AJ-500M and see how the 000-15M will work out for you.

If I actually like the 15, I would look to eventually replace the AJ-500M with a rosewood dread.

If I actually dislike the 15, I would look to replace the 15 with a rosewood 000 / OM.

That way you'll have a pretty diverse collection: two body styles, two different woods. That will surely cover a lot of grounds.

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com
Old 09-08-2011, 11:44 AM

Right off the initial question, I wouldn't make the trade. BUT, so much depends on each individual guitar. The final decision is your's. I know what I would do using only the info I've read in your post, but that might change entirely when I hear the guitars actually involved........We all hear different things in guitars. Personally, I pretty much ignore all the opinions on which guitar is the best for fingerpicking/sturmming/paddleing a canoe, etc. Which guitar is best for what depends on the picker. My only real advice is to keep the guitar/s that you feel speaks to you while you stum/pick.

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:46 AM

I also like the comfort of a 000 guitar. Sight unseen and unplayed, I probably would not make that trade. Also, I rather like that Epiphone model. However, if that Blueridge played and sounded as good as my buddy's OM-21, I would make the trade in a heartbeat. In fact, I personally would trade the 000-15M and the Epiphone Masterbuilt for a Martin OM-21, even if that meant I could only have one guitar. Unfortunately, I have never seen or played a Blueridge.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:55 AM

I would keep the AJ500M just to have the versatility of 2 different guitars. I have had a few Blueridge guitars in the past and I liked them. They are well built, attractive and sound very good for the money.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:08 PM

Thanks for your input everybody. I've been on the fence about this, running it over in my mind & thinking about it, there really is no other reason for trading other than acting on GAS impulses, when i really dont need to.

The AJ-500M is a stunner sonically & i'd probably regret it in the long run.

Right, that's that sorted then
Old 09-08-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashup View Post
Thanks for your input everybody. I've been on the fence about this, running it over in my mind & thinking about it, there really is no other reason for trading other than acting on GAS impulses, when i really dont need to.

The AJ-500M is a stunner sonically & i'd probably regret it in the long run.

Right, that's that sorted then
That's good news. In my experience, Masterbuilts seem to have a little more consistancy than Blueridge. I've played some that were fantastic and others that were complete duds. If I found a BR that I thought sounded great, I'd get it; however, I would never play one sight unseen/unheard.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion