The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-19-2024, 07:00 AM

Default First Day of Spring.

Finally Spring. I always thought it was the 21rst. I read on Facebook that March 19 is now the first day of Spring? I know it’s illegal to not to tell the truth on Facebook but I checked on Google anyway and sure enough. Happy Spring AGF!🌸

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 03-19-2024, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

It’s been a strange winter in Wisconsin, Spring is always welcome.
Old 03-19-2024, 05:45 PM

It's fairly chilly here in the northeast but not too cold for folks to stand in line for their free water ice at Rita's.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 03-19-2024, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasworker View Post
Finally Spring. I always thought it was the 21rst. I read on Facebook that March 19 is now the first day of Spring? I know it’s illegal to not to tell the truth on Facebook but I checked on Google anyway and sure enough. Happy Spring AGF!🌸
Usually the 20th, since the mid 2000s, but... leap year!

"If you thought that the Spring Equinox only ever occurred on March 21, you may be dating yourself. Find out why."
Old 03-24-2024, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, odd month of March here too. Typical Oregon rain of course, woke up 4 consecutive mornings to fresh overnight snow on my hill, then mowed the lawn in shorts last week with temp peaking in the high 70s.
Old 03-24-2024, 11:53 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I grew up in East Tennessee. My family usually went canoe camping on the Tennessee River on Easter weekend. We'd fetch up to an island with no-one around and pitch a lean-to. It wasn't unusual to wake up with snow on our faces. Here in the Mid-Atlantic we often have our only snow sometime from the end of February to the end of March. For instance, last night it was 38'. Now, we'll be seeing 50' this afternoon for a couple of seconds but it doesn't reward the inveterate beach lovers who start wearing shorts and sandals at the end of January! We are used to being in the thirties in the morning and the sixties in the afternoon at this time of year.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-26-2024, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

We had a couple of days of spring, and then got 6" of heavy, wet snow Saturday night into Sunday.

Here in the High Rockies, March is our snowiest month. We'll take the moisture, but I'm ready for some warmer weather!

But I can't complain. I think I fired up the snowblower just four times this winter.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
Yeah, odd month of March here too. Typical Oregon rain of course, woke up 4 consecutive mornings to fresh overnight snow on my hill, then mowed the lawn in shorts last week with temp peaking in the high 70s.
Are you in the Rogue Valley? I am, and we've had a very similar pattern. Several days of snow that left and inch or two on the ground followed by a stretch of high 60's - 70's and brilliant blue skies. the Winter - Spring of 2019 was similar.

Way back in '76 we lived in Modesto, CA and we had a snow storm that dropped 2". It was a hoot. We are originally from Chicago and had long since learned the art of driving in snow. The native denizens of the San Joaquin Valley were completely flummoxed by the white stuff. I stood on the corner by our duplex watching them spin and slide and go every which way but where they wanted. I thought it was all pretty entertaining until someone got halfway over the curb sideways and cane to a stop about 2 feet short of where my foot prints were. When the driver got out of his car, his eyes were like saucers. I helped push him back onto the pavement, went back in and called work to take a "snow" day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic