The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-26-2022, 09:05 AM

Smile Using a fishman spectrum D.I. with a Martin Hd28 28

Hi all,
I’ve just bought a second hand fishman spectrum D.I. and I have a Martin hd28.
My question is, has anyone else got the same set up and can you recommend the setting on the fishman spectrum that most compliments the Martin Hd28?
Thanks
Old 10-26-2022, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

I have a Fishman Spectrum DI which I use with my 2002 Taylor 514CE. The Taylor has an older Fishman Prefix system, which is a combination of an under-saddle piezo element plus a microphone. I turn off the microphone when I use the Fishman Spectrum DI.

I honestly don't remember which setting I used, but my process for choosing the setting was to use a very good headphone set and to go through the choices while playing the guitar and choosing the one I liked the best. I probably chose a setting that sounded more like an HD-28 rather than the Taylor, because that tends to be my preference.

Once I chose the setting I liked, I have never changed it.

Best of luck on this, Sean.

And welcome to the AGF! I see this is your first post! Glad you are here! I hope you enjoy this place!

- Glenn
Old 10-26-2022, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

All my guitars save my J-200, are outfitted with some type of Fishman Aura electronics onboard.

I bought the Spectrum DI to use with my old Dean beater stage guitar.

Just can't keep up with the onboard models.

So I just use which ever guitar into a JDI to my mixer out to speaker.

Got rid of the Dean by the way.
Old 10-26-2022, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Not exactly, but on a thread about tonedexter vs aura, several of us agreed the best way is trial and error with the aura settings. If they correspond to the right guitar, so be it. But often the best settings are unrelated to the guitar. YMMV, as always.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 10-27-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I have a Fishman Spectrum DI which I use with my 2002 Taylor 514CE. The Taylor has an older Fishman Prefix system, which is a combination of an under-saddle piezo element plus a microphone. I turn off the microphone when I use the Fishman Spectrum DI.

I honestly don't remember which setting I used, but my process for choosing the setting was to use a very good headphone set and to go through the choices while playing the guitar and choosing the one I liked the best. I probably chose a setting that sounded more like an HD-28 rather than the Taylor, because that tends to be my preference.

Once I chose the setting I liked, I have never changed it.

Best of luck on this, Sean.

And welcome to the AGF! I see this is your first post! Glad you are here! I hope you enjoy this place!

- Glenn
Thanks for the advice, I feel a lot of playing around is required to get my desired sound, thanks again ��
Old 10-27-2022, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Sean, I have the same setup available but rarely use my Fishman Aura Spectrum DI. In the past, I've tried Aura Images with my now-sold 2014 Martin HD-28 in which I had installed a Trance Audio Amulet M-VT. I've also used the ToneDexter with the 2014 HD-28. I do hear some good things that IR can do for the amplified tone of a guitar. What pickup system is in your Martin HD-28?

Regarding working with the Aura Spectrum DI, please be aware that you can go to the Fishman Aura Gallery and download more Aura Images into the Aura Spectrum DI some of which may sound better than the ones resident in the Sprectrum when purchased. I'd check out any Martin HD-28, D-28, or other D-28 variations that are or may be available in the Aura Gallery and download any that were made with your type of pickup and an HD-28. It's pretty easy to try out many Aura Images to find the one or two that sound best to you. Have Fun!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 10-27-2022 at 12:16 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
fishman aura, martin hd-28