The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-15-2017, 07:06 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I have a set of $18 strings (SC low tension) on my Gibson for over 3 months now and they are fine. I play finger style though and softly. I also have other guitars that get played also so the SC strings aren't getting a lot of playing time as compared to someone with one or two guitars. It's my opinion that how long a string lasts is directly related to how long they get beaten on. Flat pickers and strummers will go through strings faster than I do.

I also know, sort of, that most guitar strings (Martin, Elixer, D'Addario , John Pearse, etc) hold tension well. (I'm a hobbyist, not an engineer). Changes in humidity seem to effect the tuning, not the strings themselves. I suspect older tuning gears may also effect whether a string stays in tune or not.

So, its a bit of marketing to say that a certain string "stays in tune better" than another brand or type. This particular type of marketing, causes me to "put the boots on." As a result, I will probably lean to not trying them as I try not to step in it if I can.

Marketing strategies aimed at older players who most likely have played for decades should avoid certain catch phrases as "stays in tune better" and "as seen on TV"

I reserve the right to try them though, just out of curiosity.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-15-2017, 07:58 PM

Smile

Jeez, this post really ruffled some feathers...that wasn't the intention, was just shocked at the price at first glance.

I just placed an order as, in fact, it sounds like Martin was quite serious after all...

Old 08-15-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP55 View Post
Jeez, this post really ruffled some feathers...that wasn't the intention, was just shocked at the price at first glance.
No it's been an interesting thread.
Some closed minds.
Some closed wallets.
You get that on the big jobs.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 08-16-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHooligan73 View Post
I tried some titanium strings on a few electrics and the frets weeent so fond of them. I am not sure how that may transfer to acoustic strings but I’m not fond of using a string material harder than fret material on any guitar I own. It will be interesting to hear how they may or may not wear frets faster.
Titanium core. Nickel wound Titanium isn't touching your frets.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:00 PM

Default How does titanium treat frets?

A good question...how does titanium and our precious frets get along? I think of titanium as this super hard, high tensile strength material. Feedback, anyone?
Old 08-16-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
They are not Titanium strings, fellas. They are Pure Nickel Wound strings. The only part that is titanium alloy is the string core around which the wraps are wound.

Ever wonder why Martin does not make these with phosphor-bronze or 80/20 bronze wraps?

Martin did a sleight of hand with these. And very well, too.
Well, let's get these titanium cores wrapped in PB - 92/8, thank you:-)
Old 08-16-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
As an incentive Martin includes a set with the 'Platinum package' that goes with any Custom Shop guitar over $15K. That surely puts the $40 price tag in a different light! Also, these new strings were offered through the 1833 shop to Martin Owner's Club members yesterday. They sold out in one day so it seems there might be a market for these strings after all.
Forgive my cynicism, but anyone in that sort of fan club is likely to have bought pretty much anything Martin sells; from hats, shirts, mugs, key rings, those sound hole coasters. 'If it says 'Martin' on it, I'm buying it to match my guitar!'
Old 08-16-2017, 03:11 PM
Guest3224

They mention it took 8 years of research and development. That's what you're paying for (along with the Martin name). Drug companies do this as well. It's why they charge a ton for a decade before generics come out for cheap -- to recoup R&D costs. In 8 years maybe they'll be worth trying out once they're $10 per pack.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:38 PM

Default Are they serious?

Nickel is surrounding the core.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 08-16-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP55 View Post
Jeez, this post really ruffled some feathers...
I need to make a "triggered" AGF meme with pictures of these strings, an expensive pick, an expensive guitar, and an expensive capo, as things like that really seem to trigger some folks around here.

btw, the linked page in your OP now says "The item you are looking for is not available at the moment." Guess they've already sold out?
Old 08-16-2017, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
I need to make a "triggered" AGF meme with pictures of these strings, an expensive pick, an expensive guitar, and an expensive capo, as things like that really seem to trigger some folks around here.

btw, the linked page in your OP now says "The item you are looking for is not available at the moment." Guess they've already sold out?

Don't forget the Asian guitar.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Hi, it's me - the pick nerd !

I was dead against Blue Chip picks - spent money to prove to myself they were a con. Then lot's more because I discovered they really were a superior product.

I've used basic Shubb capos since the '70S because they doexactly what I want them to do and never break or wear.

I've used D'addarios for many years after trying a load of others.
I don't have acid sweat (I know three people who do).

I usually change my sytrings every two months,but two of my guitars and my mando have year old pbs which still sound and play well. I've been ill most of this year and so my main guitars kept the same strings on from Jan/Feb - until this month. They were OK when I took them of but I like shiny bright strings.

I like changing strings so that doesn't attract me.

I'll not knock these new strings but they don't appeal tome, and some of Martin's marketing, .... "disappoints" me.

BTW - PBs change colour over the first week or two. I currently keep one guitar out in my lounge to encourage me to play whilst ill. One dozy night I ordered some elixirs for it. I put them on a couple of days ago - sounded OK.

The boys came over today so I used that guitar - sounded dull.

Carry on.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryVe View Post
Don't forget the Asian guitar.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Forgive my cynicism, but anyone in that sort of fan club is likely to have bought pretty much anything Martin sells; from hats, shirts, mugs, key rings, those sound hole coasters. 'If it says 'Martin' on it, I'm buying it to match my guitar!'
Forgive my retort, but if I had posted this I would have expected someone tell me I was being incredibly condescending.

I think Martin fans are far more discerning and not sheep following the shepherd. They own great guitars and know why they like them and don't have to make excuses for what they own. They're more into guitars than coasters, I'll wager.

I've concluded that most of the bashing, whether it's the guitar or the Martin company or Martin customers, it probably comes from the anti-Martin crowd. It happens when the subject is Taylor, I'm sure. Certainly some Martin owners don't like this guitar I'm sure, but for the most part it's an ingrained bias against the brand. IMO, (funny smiley face) YMMV.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 08-16-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
No it's been an interesting thread.
Some closed minds.
Some closed wallets.
You get that on the big jobs.
That and apparently some folks don't read, they just post.
There have been multiple posts asking questions, expressing concerns and doubts. There have been multiple posts answering all of them in detail by the Beta-testers to the best of their abilities.
Once again, the summary from those who tested them.
Martin Titanium/ Nickel Strings:
Stay in Tune
Don't Corrode
Are wrapped in 100% Nickel Wire
Have round cores made of Titanium
Smooth to the touch, less squeak
Lower tension, easy to play.
Sound great
Last for months and months
Cost a lot.
Created a firestorm on the AGF

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 08-16-2017 at 05:53 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion