The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Refinish Needed

My Patrick James Eggle Linville needs a refinish. I could send it to Patrick in the UK, but that is pretty expensive and risky. It is covered by his warranty and he would do it if I ship. My thought was to just get it refinished in the States-- preferably on the east coast. I am less concerned about the cost and more concerned about shipping overseas and dealing with that whole thing.

The finish is a UV cured polyester. The local repair guy, who is very well regarded locally, as well as here on AGF, said it isn't a finish he works with and suggested I go somewhere else (elevating my trust in him and his judgement for other future work). He gave a name, but that didn't work out either. Two questions:

1. Any recommendations for refinishers who work well with a uv cured poly?

2. What makes this finish difficult to use?

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:36 PM

Send it to Eggle and let the warranty cover it.
The finish will have to be stripped -and UV cured poly is hard to remove-, then a new finish will have to be applied.
It is a lot of work when done right, and you will pay dearly for it.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

I was afraid you were going to say that. thanks for the advice. It is much appreciated.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:36 PM

Check out Addam Stark Guitars on Facebook. Addam is THE guy in the northern California region and there are lots of excellent luthiers who use his services. Addam's website states he's primarily a nitro guy, but he applied a urethane finish to a custom build of mine and he did a phenomenal job.

I know it would mean a cross-country trip, but that sure beats overseas to the UK price-wise.

Addam does fantastic work.

Fred
Old 03-05-2011, 12:51 PM

I always though the benefit of the polyester finishes is that they seamlessly melt into each other when cured. I don't think it would have to be stripped but I could be wrong. I believe there are many different kinds of UV cure as well, and it may be necessary to use the same kind that was originally used.

I know Pat Diburro in New Hampshire uses a UV cure poly but I am not sure if he does full refinish jobs. I do agree with Laurent that taking advantage of the warranty is a good idea.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Matt, The refinish job would cost quite a bit when you consider the neck and bridge removal and reinstall and total finish strip. If the original builder will warranty his work, I think it would be in your best interest (and pocket book) to eat the shipping and allow him to repair the guitar. I would also think that if you chose another finisher then the original builder would void his warranty? Something to consider.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:45 PM

It would be alot less expensive to ship it to the UK than it would be to pay for a re finish.

I'm curious, what's wrong with the finish?
Old 03-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getgo View Post
Matt, The refinish job would cost quite a bit when you consider the neck and bridge removal and reinstall and total finish strip. If the original builder will warranty his work, I think it would be in your best interest (and pocket book) to eat the shipping and allow him to repair the guitar. I would also think that if you chose another finisher then the original builder would void his warranty? Something to consider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackett Instruments View Post
It would be alot less expensive to ship it to the UK than it would be to pay for a re finish.

I'm curious, what's wrong with the finish?
Thanks for the input. The local guy thought the refinish would only cost in the xxx's and shipping was about $500 both ways, insured. I really have no idea what a refinish costs, nor am I quite clear why this particular finish is more difficult than other finishes (recognizing fully I am ignorant about all things finish).

The finish has developed a bad case of the goosebumps. It started on the sides and is now all over the back. The neck and top are fine. Patrick said it was definitely a problem with the finish and he would do it, but I would need to ship. I have had the guitar for several years. It has taken a beating over the years with moves and such, but it is a favorite and I would like to fix it up. It has great sentimental value, as well. So, England may actually be the most cost effective answer in the end.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:10 AM

I seriously doubt you'll get a quality re finish for less than the $500 shipping costs. Professional finishers charge almost that much, or sometimes more to finish a new guitar. Stripping the old finish, as well as removing the bridge and neck add ALOT to the cost. Joe White (getgo) does finishing work for a BUNCH of builders. I believe he does re finishes as well. You could PM him for an idea of the cost. I also believe Joe has quite a backlog now. I can't think of the persons name who does finishes for John Mayes, Steve Kinnard, and others right now, but he does excellent work too. I believe he also does re finishes. Someone also mentioned Addam Stark.
I used to do some refinishes but no longer have time. My price was quite a bit more than what your UK shipping charges would be. You would probably also spend $50 to $100 for 2 way domestic shipping.

I'm sure your Eggle is a super nice guitar. Don't mess it up with a bad re finish job. I have no idea who the local guy is you've mentioned. He may be great. I don't intend to imply he isn't. I'm confident that Joe, Addam, the person who's name I can't recall, or Patrick would do an excellent job.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackett Instruments View Post
I can't think of the persons name who does finishes for John Mayes, Steve Kinnard, and others right now, but he does excellent work too. I believe he also does re finishes....
That would be Tony Ferguson, who does work for Kent Everett as well and is EXCEPTIONALLY good.

MK

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop