The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-31-2017, 08:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here's the same tune, slower, and with the so-called "UMGF" dread instead.

Passin it around
Old 01-31-2017, 10:20 PM

My ears clearly prefer the UMGF guitar. Seems to be more tone there. What are you hearing live?
Old 02-01-2017, 02:13 AM

I like the slower version. And I'm envious of you cats that can still hit the high notes! Nice work and nice music.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Nicely done Bruce, both the singing/playing and the song writing. Put your hat by the shop door, I'll toss a few one$ in it.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

I got a bit over excited yesterday and posted these tunes here in Bob's thread when they should have gone into my own nearby thread. I remedied that this morning and I hope this part of the conversation will be continued over there, please. POST 43

Thank you for your kind words thus far!
Old 02-01-2017, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Bruce you can play in my thread any time...
Old 02-03-2017, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Bruce is about 5 coats into his oil varnish application process. This process should be complete by early next week. After that it will dry for at least 3-weeks before he works on it again.

On another note, Bruce and I decided to put a traditional ebony pyramid bridge on this single 0 instead of a belly bridge as originally planned.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

That is right, the fifth coat went on a half hour ago.

Today had a lot of distraction in it or I'd have gotten the coat on by lunch instead just before supper (which I just finished). I have a coffee group that meets on Friday morning, where I keep in touch with developing world situations, and then I play violins with my friend Louise for a couple of hours. Today it was Geminianni and J S Bach. Then I went shopping. Our 2 year old Samsung (boo-hiss) TV developed terminal issues last night, and we must have the next episode of whatever (Travelers, at the moment). So tonight, with any luck, we'll have our first experience with both a Sony and 4K.

So I only got in 3 hours at the bench today.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Sound Port

One of the non-traditional features of this single 0 that Bruce is making is this small elliptical sound port in the upper bout. Together with the 3-1/2" diameter sound hole the opening surface area equals a traditional 3-5/8" diameter sound hole of a traditional single 0.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:48 AM

Lovely. Reminds me of what I did on the guitar that I built:

Old 02-05-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
One of the non-traditional features of this single 0 that Bruce is making is this small elliptical sound port in the upper bout. Together with the 3-1/2" diameter sound hole the opening surface area equals a traditional 3-5/8" diameter sound hole of a traditional single 0.

This has been an excellent build thread! The binding with the back/sides looks as good as anything I've ever seen (probably helps that the braz is the best I've seen too). Is that binding cocobolo sapwood as planned? Looks a bit like maple burl to me. Very very cool.

Sam
Old 02-05-2017, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Yes it was planned and it was Buce's suggestion.

Many of the light colored hardwoods used for bindings such as maple or holly are not particularly hard. Binding is meant to protect the edges of the guitar from "dings". Bruce suggested that we consider a rosewood sapwood. I found some Cocobolo sapwood available and Bruce selected the piece. He did some pilot tests to see if it would bend as needed (it did).

The sapwood has a beautiful character with gray and blue flecks. It doesn't have the contrast of Ivoroid, but I like the idea of no plastic on the guitar and binding that is light colored and protective. The purflings are shell, wood and fiber and the buttons are also wood. The side position markers are black MOP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam VanLaningham View Post
This has been an excellent build thread! The binding with the back/sides looks as good as anything I've ever seen (probably helps that the braz is the best I've seen too). Is that binding cocobolo sapwood as planned? Looks a bit like maple burl to me. Very very cool.

Sam
Old 02-05-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post

I'm so pleased to see the soundport calculated with soundhole. So often a sounport is added without thought to changes of the ported resonance.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn23 View Post
I'm so pleased to see the soundport calculated with soundhole. So often a sounport is added without thought to changes of the ported resonance.
I have attempted to do this with my previous sideports as well, but seat of the pants. Turns out, once Bob actually did the math, that my previous ports are actually slightly too big for the reduction in soundhole size that I did. Actually, since I had been using one size port and reducing the soundhole size by 1/8" is whatever size guitar I was dealing with, it mat be that I was pretty close to right on a bigger guitar as 1/8" is more surface area on a 4" FT-16 soundhole than on a 3 5/8" FT-0 soundhole.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

You know, it has now been > 3-weeks that the 7th coat of oil varnish has been drying in the spray booth. It might be time to take the neck and body out of the spray booth and make it into a guitar this week... It is frankly nice to see the AGF custom shop be so active. This post fell back three pages in three weeks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop