The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-13-2016, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
I have a pile of 000/OM back and side assemblies!
These look amazing.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
Don't know if you've heard of a product called super soft 2, but it can help,with bending uncooperative wood. Available from veneersupply.com
Ed, thanks for the head's up! I have seen it mentioned a few times, but never tried it myself. Wish I did for that Philippine mahogany; it sounded like firecrackers on the bending iron!
Old 07-14-2016, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
These look amazing.
Thanks! Been working on the tops, though my Dremel has not been cooperative....
Old 07-14-2016, 06:16 AM

Beautiful work, Louie! Unique and cleanly executed.

Ken
Old 07-14-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Casper View Post
Beautiful work, Louie! Unique and cleanly executed.

Ken
Thanks so much Ken, that means a lot to me... fortunately I'm surrounded by great builders and players here that give me inspiration and motivation
Old 07-14-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post

Bracing looks pretty typical from this view. There was some lining that didn't glue right, so I cut it out. (Better idea of the figuring too):
Louie, whats the advantage of sealing the inside of the guitar? is it just for looks? or does it have some genuine advantages?

killing it as always

David
Old 07-14-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsone View Post
Louie, whats the advantage of sealing the inside of the guitar? is it just for looks? or does it have some genuine advantages?

killing it as always

David
Thanks David! When I fist started dabbling with acoustics, I never finished the inside because that's the way I'd seen then all. This was around 2009 or so when I stumbled upon the MIMF. When a couple people there mentioned that I may be more than a weekend hack, I decided to do more research. I had already owned Cumpiano's book from my woodworking days (though I don't think I do anything remotely similar to the book, technique-wise!) I would go on YouTube and spend hours on end listening to different artists, playing different guitars. I stumbled upon a video featuring one of Ervin Somogyi's guitar - it was Paul Heumiller's 000 fan fret - and I was hooked. I had just left a construction company because of back pay, the housing market was in a shambles. I had a collection of over 40 electrics at the time and sold them off one by one to make ends meet (I'm down to about 8.) Somewhere along the way I scraped up enough money to buy Ervin's book, Making the Responsive Guitar. Cost as much as a high quality back and side set, but I wanted to learn as much I could about the man and his techniques.

So finishing the inside, in his estimation, allows a slower absorption and release of moisture in the wood (you can never totally prevent this). Living in the suburbs of NYC, we can have days of what I call 90/90 - 90 degrees, 90 percent humidity - as well as -10 and dry as a bone. Not that I'd play in such frigid weather, but having a guitar inside with radiators drying the air and no hydro, even if the guitar lived most its winters in a case, could cause problems. I don't baby my guitars, and I'm sure others don't, so I thought it was pretty logical to do. I don't brush it as Ervin prescribes; rather I spray a mist coat, enough to raise the grain, then sand the interior with 220, down to where I can see bare smooth wood, and mist it again.

Other than that, I like the way it looks...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop