The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-18-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
Welcome to the forum Claretman! And thank you (on Ken's behalf) for the kind words. These luthiers really do create playable art. Not only do each of these craftspeople make beautiful instruments, they make such uniquely wonderful sounding instruments. We're blessed to be able to see these guitars being built here, to play them when we come across one of them, and even more blessed when we can have one of our own! And the other thing- I've been so impressed with the warmth and kindness of the many luthiers I have met. It's such a wonderful thing to be able to participate in this kind of community.

OddManOut- Ken says he plans to "hop on the forum" by the end of the weekend and he can answer questions about bolts and hardware. Thank you for the kind of words about the IRW. I do think it's a beautiful wood, but it's not a traditional wood. It's nice to know that others also really like it!

And Ken sent pictures of the fingerboard mockup. I'm quite jazzed about this, as this is Ken's original design based upon a well cover in England that I really like. I think it's beautiful, but it's also very meaningful for me. This custom thing is so cool!

Oh wow, I like that. What a cool design. This is something you saw in England, well cover? Can you explain further. Shows art can be seen wherever we are and choose to look!
Old 03-18-2016, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Somehow I missed these fret markers the first time they were posted - beautiful!
Old 03-18-2016, 11:41 PM

Thanks dcn and TomB'sox. I love these fingerboard inlays- Ken did such a beautiful job designing them and then implementing that design. The overlapping circles are common in cathedrals in Europe and there's a well in England called the Chalice Well with a cover that elaborates on the overlapping circles. The large inlay is Ken's take on that well cover. And then we decided to inlay the MOP on cocobolo circles to add the sense of the well cover. It's really a beautiful extra touch. Those cocobolo circles just pop!
Old 03-19-2016, 03:06 AM
Charter Member

The larger fretboard inlay design is absolutely beautiful!

Instruments:
2022 Dake Traphagen 12F Slope Dread--Torrefied Carpathian Spruce/Snakewood
2016 Darren Hippner "Torres" classical model--German Spruce/Pernambuco

Commissioned:
mid-2024 Michel Aboudib MA-J Fanfret--Western Red Cedar/Bois de Rose
late-2024 Michel Aboudib--TBD
Old 03-19-2016, 05:35 AM

Beth those inlays really are wonderful piece of work. This guitar is really going to be something special !!!!
Tokai love rock (83 Japan)
Tokai bass

"A dreamer easy in the chair that really fits him"
Old 03-19-2016, 05:56 AM

I love inspiration like that. So cool.I remember Steve Kinnaird designing some marquetry (sp?) for a parlor he built based off of a church ceiling painting I think in Ireland. Artists see beautiful things where others walk by!
Old 03-19-2016, 07:57 AM

Thank you (on Ken's behalf) for the compliments on the fretboard. It's so clear that these luthiers are gifted artists. Ken took this half formed idea I had, and turned it into something so beautiful that just captures the feeling I was after and really does make this guitar for me. I love the idea that my fingers will be moving up and down this fretboard.

That was a mockup fretboard that Ken uses to try things out. Today he is in the workshop putting together my fingerboard with the ebony we chose for it. He's hoping to have it done today!

Here's my actual fretboard:

Ken will be checking in soon- it will be nice for him to see your compliments- he's missing out hiding in the shop!

Thanks all- Beth (for Ken)

Last edited by mountainguitar; 03-19-2016 at 08:01 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 03-20-2016, 09:21 AM

Smile teaser update

Ken was busy in the shop yesterday! He sent one teaser photo and says he'll send better photos later today and try to check in here. I could wait to show you the "better" pictures, but I'm so jazzed about this fretboard, I decided to share. So here's the "teaser:"

More pics soon! Thanks so much for following along-

Beth
Old 03-20-2016, 09:49 AM

Very nice...usually with fret board markers I am always wondering how much the actually frets are going to distract from the work that has been done, but for some reason in your case, I see the frets adding to the overall look in a complimentary way!!! They will "frame" the markers in a beautifu,l artsy kind of way.

What color frets did you choose?
Old 03-20-2016, 09:59 AM

Thanks Tom! I think we're going with gold frets. They'll match the Schaller tuning machines (gold with ebony buttons). But now that you bring it up... I don't know- maybe a more metal look would be better. I'm figuring if we should change it up, Ken will suggest it. He's been great about making sure my decisions are good ones

Last edited by mountainguitar; 03-20-2016 at 10:00 AM. Reason: rethinking....
Old 03-20-2016, 10:08 AM

Ken,

If the check bounces...

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 03-20-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
Thanks Tom! I think we're going with gold frets. They'll match the Schaller tuning machines (gold with ebony buttons). But now that you bring it up... I don't know- maybe a more metal look would be better. I'm figuring if we should change it up, Ken will suggest it. He's been great about making sure my decisions are good ones
I am with you, I thought initially the gold would work really well with the cocobolo markers and fretboard borders, but thought silver may look better with the MOP....hahah decisions....if you have the gold tuners, I think you have to go with gold frets....which will look awesome with the MOP also!!!! It is so pretty, you can't go wrong.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
Ken,

If the check bounces...

Dude,,,,,you can't steal this one too, it is a present to her from her parents hahaha! Are you without any sentiments!!!?????
Old 03-20-2016, 10:15 AM

It's my parents' check lizzard.... I'll have to make sure they've got enough and didn't blow it all during their annual winter stay in Florida- they're in their early 80's and you have to watch those snowbirds and their 4:30pm dinners and golfing trips..

But I'm not planning on any checks bouncing- this beauty is coming home with me!
Old 03-20-2016, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the support Tom! My parents and I appreciate it! : )

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
casper guitar, custom acoustic, grand concert, manzer wedge