The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-30-2015, 05:58 AM

I agree that SOT must continue, but what about posting only original compositions ? That would encourage people like me who post only covers etc... I think it could be a great place to exchange ideas new techniques etc... Think about it.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaorden9 View Post
I agree that SOT must continue, but what about posting only original compositions ? That would encourage people like me who post only covers etc... I think it could be a great place to exchange ideas new techniques etc... Think about it.
I'm all for posting originals. Maybe we could do a separate monthly thing for originals?

Todd
Old 01-30-2015, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

+1 originals. Great idea.

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 01-30-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random1643 View Post
+1 originals. Great idea.
Thank you @random1643 . The idea is to strength the SOT . In my view when the SOT asks, for example, 70's hits, a great deal of 70's covers are already posted all over Show and Tell. Posting ONLY originals would make a sort of "nest" to show and exchange ideas etc...
Old 01-30-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Thank you @random1643 . The idea is to strength the SOT . In my view when the SOT asks, for example, 70's hits, a great deal of 70's covers are already posted all over Show and Tell. Posting ONLY originals would make a sort of "nest" to show and exchange ideas etc...
I'll back you up here.

Those who do take a stab at writing their own music will do so (usually) with their influences shining through. That is always a curiosity of mine. The ultra-original is rare.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

So, are you guys wanting to do a month of only originals, or are you saying the SOT each month should only be originals? It seems to me like a lot of work to write a song AND record it each month.

Or, am I misunderstanding what you are saying? As it is, I'm perfectly fine with people posting their own songs.

Todd
Old 01-30-2015, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

I have written only ten songs. Two of them I think are good. So it is scarier to do an original, but I think it's a great way to make us all grow.

I'm game.

How about every third month is Originals?
Old 01-30-2015, 07:05 PM

@BoneDigger I personally meant a permanent original songs. Covers get scattered all over the page of Show and Tell. I think this will encourage the talent of many of us, If I may say.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
So, are you guys wanting to do a month of only originals, or are you saying the SOT each month should only be originals? It seems to me like a lot of work to write a song AND record it each month.

Or, am I misunderstanding what you are saying? As it is, I'm perfectly fine with people posting their own songs.

Todd
No way would anyone be able to keep that pace. Once in a while would be cool, though.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:14 PM

Yeah, I agree @Pitar and @Themissal ... but I was thinking about many people who might want to post their originals but might feel dis-encouraged to post originals among so many great covers. AT first the audience might be smaller but increasingly with time. Just an idea anyway.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I agree @Pitar and @Themissal ... but I was thinking about many people who might want to post their originals but might feel dis-encouraged to post originals among so many great covers. AT first the audience might be smaller but increasingly with time. Just an idea anyway.
I had basically mentioned this idea in my reply above but struck it out thinking that there's always Show and Tell available any time for anything. The theme-oriented forum could be a place for originals but maybe on the order of the theme? The Show and Tell avails itself to everyone for anything but a more challenging theme-oriented concept for originals would task the writers. That's something I've done before - not always because it can and did task me beyond my imagination - and it was a fun exercise as both a participant and audience.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Of course I have to muck things up further by suggesting having SOT segregated even more - guitar with vocals and then instrumentals only.

Most people like the singing with guitar. Guys like me just like instrumentals, but we're in the minority, so we get lost in the shuffle sort of.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-30-2015, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

This is good dialogue, and I am willing to take this in any direction that the group wants. Let me express some concerns I have, and you guys can address them. In my life, I have written one song. I can write more, but unfortunately, I haven't had the time to devote to it. Requiring all originals is a great idea, and would certainly be interesting. For the people who have a massive set list of originals, it'll be easy. For the rest of us, this will require us to write and perform a song the same month, depending on the topic. Some people are extremely talented song writers. Some either are not, or simply don't have the energy or interest in writing their own songs.

So, in order to keep people's interest, yet also make the SOT something that people can easily contribute to, how do you suppose we can make the originals idea work? I can think of three options:

1) All entries each month have to be original;

2) We do original SOTs mixed in with the months where we have covers (i.e., some months are original only, others are covers AND originals;

3) We keep the SOT as it is but then start a concurrent Songwriter Showcase, which is all originals.

Honestly, my idea for the SOT as it was originally planned, was simply to allow people to focus on a topic, then try to learn a new song for that month to fit the topic. I realize that anyone can do this at any time on the S&T forum. I just thought it might bring people together on a single topic each month with a chance to win a gift card (or other prize).

I worry that if we go ALL originals each month, it's going to exclude a LOT of people. But, again, I am not adverse to this idea if you guys think it will really work.

Ideas?

Todd
Old 01-30-2015, 08:55 PM

I only have about 10 originals. I don't write often. I sit there playing and all of a sudden a song comes out of nowhere. I have no control over it. Originals every month would leave me out, especially if it had to be on a certain topic or genre.
I would prefer if we had one or two months with original only songs.
Another idea would be (as an experiment) to have a phrase and then require all songs to be original and contain that phrase. You could write a new song, or if you happened to have an old song with the phrase (how would anyone know anyway?)

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 01-30-2015, 11:35 PM
Charter Member

Well, I certainly have more than a few dozen original tunes, but I have to say that having a strict requirement to submit songs would EXCLUDE a lot of folks...

I write songs; it's what I do, and I've gotten better and better at it over the years... BUT, I fully realize and accept the fact that most people do NOT write their own songs, and many that have given it a go would not be comfortable putting them on display. And that's fine...

Perhaps have original music ALWAYS fine to post, even if it's a "theme-ish" month? I still feel that all the songs on any given SOT be in line with whatever the current theme is...

I suppose we could trim it down to only guitar, or guitar and voice, and eliminate a lot of the "band" and multi-tracked offerings, but that seems kind of silly - I am well aware of the amount of time it takes to do a recording and multi-track several (if not many) separate instruments and voices. This IS to encourage folks, right?

I'll make do with whatever is decided, but I definitely feel that this particular SOT should stay in business!

Seems that having a Songwriter's Showcase would be a good thing to have, too...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell