The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-24-2009, 10:22 PM

Default The Tuning Machine Thread/Challenge

Hello,

I am not sure if one exists but if so, it's probably "dead." I look at a lot of high-end guitars and I see that the weapon of choice is the Gotoh 5 series. For about fifty dollars more, one can get Waverlys. What do builders find better? And Why?

Oh, and I challenge everyone here to find the most expensive tuners. PRS now makes acoustics and here are the tuners they use. They start at 400 usd http://www.robsontuners.com/price-list.php
Old 12-25-2009, 11:34 AM

Gotoh 510's run just shy of a $100 if you get gold with black buttons. Gold Waverly's with ebony buttons cost around $200 (I factor in the purchase of the larger 10mm bushings because I like the way they look).

Then you have the truly elite "handmade" tuners made by Alessi, Rodgers, Gilbert, and Robson. I am sure there are more out there but those are the only ones I know of. Quite honestly, all these tuners are very nice. For the most part, once you hit the Gotoh 510 level then you have hit the upper echelon of quality. One nice thing about open back tuners is that they are lighter. I prefer Waverlys for this reason -- because they make the overall guitar feel much more balanced rather than headstock heavy. However, the Gotoh 510's are probably the smoothest tuners out there with the delta series (21:1 ratio) being almost effortless to turn. I have yet to try Robson, Alessi or the other handmade tuners but I can't imagine them functioning any smoother than the delta Gotoh 510s. The Waverlys are not as smooth or as easy to turn as the 510's but they are great quality tuners and I greatly prefer how they look over the Gotohs.

I will be placing an order in the near future for a set of Robson tuners to evaluate the difference between them and the lower priced Waverlys.

Last edited by Simon Fay; 05-15-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:02 PM

Alessi, Hauser model 6, silver plate, brass gear, mother-of-pearl oval button, MOP dot on gear, white roller.

Keith/Scruggs banjo tuners are expensive too. Of course they have a lot more going on with them than your average tuner. If you have never heard them used, listen to Adrian Legg. He uses them on guitar, and of course the great Earl Scruggs on banjo.

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫

Last edited by Fngrstyl; 12-25-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:27 PM

Thank you both for that. I suppose an additional question here would be, "why pay more for the elegant, hand-made tuners?" Of course, the rarity and reputation leads to the price, much like a Rolex. But in terms of actual performance, I would like people to address the value. Are these higher end tuners really of better performance than Gotoh or Waverly?
Old 12-25-2009, 05:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

The Rogers LaCote are the most expensive I'e encountered. Last time I used them they were $2400 installed, but I will want more next time as it was quite challenging! Alessi/Rogers/Graf are in another category altogether as compared to Waverly/Gotoh; Absolutely Superior.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:33 PM

Hi all, are we talking open back tuners? Well, I'll assume you are for a moment. I prefer open back, just for looks sake. I have an OMC with Waverlies, and I just put vintage Grovers on an old Martin, changed out the Grover Rotomatics that had been on it for years.

Of the two, I can not tell a difference in performance, the Waverly's look a small bit better in the finish dept. and are about 100$ more. Odd that. They are nice though.

The OP's link to the Robson Tuners.... wow. Nice looking tuners. The Rogers as well.

I suppose it's all relative, but I'll take the Waverly or the Grover open back.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

I have a guitar with Alessi tuners. They are extremely nice. They were the standard tuners that my builder used. If they were an option, at an increase in price, I probably couldn't justify the cost.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 12-27-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:57 PM

What is it about open back tuners that I love so much..... Those Alessi look good.

What guitar did you have those on? Alessi are extremely expensive tuners..
Old 12-27-2009, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
What guitar did you have those on? Alessi are extremely expensive tuners..
Dan Bresnan (sold through Luthiers Collection) uses Alessi tuners on his guitars.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 01-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

I have been really happy with all the guitar's I've owned with either Waverly or Schaller Tuners. I order Gold Waverly's with ebony buttons on my next Mayes. The same as what my current SD-43 has.

Bad photo but here they are.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23

Last edited by SuperB23; 01-01-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:56 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
The Rogers LaCote are the most expensive I'e encountered. Last time I used them they were $2400 installed, but I will want more next time as it was quite challenging! Alessi/Rogers/Graf are in another category altogether as compared to Waverly/Gotoh; Absolutely Superior.
Wow!! A quick Google search for Rogers Lacote didn't turn up anything for me. Any pictures/links?
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 01-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
Wow!! A quick Google search for Rogers Lacote didn't turn up anything for me. Any pictures/links?
If you type Rogers Tuners you will find them. They are all classical tuners it looks like. From their web pages I think Alessi is the only one that makes steel string guitar tuners. For the money I will stick with Waverlys.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:28 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
If you type Rogers Tuners you will find them. They are all classical tuners it looks like. From their web pages I think Alessi is the only one that makes steel string guitar tuners. For the money I will stick with Waverlys.
Thanks, but are we talking about Rodgers Tuners? Those I did see in the search results.
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 01-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Rogers with no d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
Thanks, but are we talking about Rodgers Tuners? Those I did see in the search results.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:40 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
Rogers with no d
Strange, no hits from Google for me. Only Rodgers Tuners, which are made in the UK and have Lacote-style models.

You sure we're not talking about the same brand here?

Quote:
Fine Machine Heads are more than just accessories to your instrument. They are an integral part of the instrument's overall performance and beauty. Rodgers Machine Heads are hand built to a high degree of engineering precision, great attention is paid to every aspect of both the design and the manufacture. We pride ourselves on ensuring that the finished Machine Head is both mechanically and artistically of the highest possible quality. Our main market comprises of Machine Heads for Classical Guitars, but we also produce high quality Machine Heads for Steel String Guitars, Stauffer Guitars and Lacote Style Guitars. The mechanical details remain the same for all specifications except the Stauffer Style.
Transcriptions

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop