The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-20-2009, 02:27 PM

Default Brazillian Cherry/Holly/Spruce Parlor

"click photo for slide show"

Hi all;

Thought I'd share a slide show of one of my experimental builds, this one being a parlor size I just finished the other day, seeing that the holiday season is upon us, I selected Brazillian Cherry for the back and sides, Sitka spruce for the top, the neck is 5 pc Holly and Cherry. Binding is Holly with fine Walnut top purfling and rosette.
I wanted to keep the flow of contrast in the woods, so I opted for a Holly back wedge and matching end graft. Finger board is Bubinga with Holly bindings, bridge is also Bubinga with Ebony bridge pins and heel cap, with fine ebony fingers creeping up the heel. I wanted to build a smaller guitar with good presence, this one has it, with a nice ring and wonderful bass it sounds bigger than it is. I'll work on a sound clip after the weekend, but for now here's how it looks. I want to play it a little and tweak the action down a hair.
Scale is 24.75" with an 1-3/4" nut width, zero fret and 2-3/16" string spacing at the buffalo horn saddle.
I especially like a light colored neck, and having a good deal of Holly I wanted to see how it performed, sandwiched with the Cherry, the response in the neck is strong, a slightly thicker, but lightly braced top with the hard cherry and holly neck has proven a nice sutaining combo, I like it. Strung with lights, it is very responsive.
Comments welcome,... more on it later, but so far I'm happy with the outcome

thanks for looking

Last edited by nehemiah; 12-20-2009 at 06:56 PM. Reason: brazill-i-an, not brazill-a-in ..oops
Old 12-20-2009, 03:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

What you call Brazilian Cherry is what I call Jatoba. I have made a number of guitars from it, including a newer one for sale at Gruhn's right now, and it is a real sleeper. I consider Jatoba to be the best inexpensive "unknown" tonewood I've tried. It is around twice the hardness and density of any true Cherry in my experience, even harder than any rosewood I've used. Also hard to bend IMO.

Your guitar looks very nice to me.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:41 PM

Bruce;

I bought up a bunch of Jatoba a few years ago in 6' billets, and have been resawing it, so far I've been very impressed with it as a tonewood, it can be a stubborn bend, and is very hard like you said, but I bend on a hot iron and take my time, so far 6 guitars from it and no breaks (knock on wood).
I've never used Holly for a neck but love the whiteness of it, it is a little heavier, so is jatoba, but it really worked out well I think. this is a very vibrant wood combo, which is what I was after, with respect to sustain and energy, so it came together very well. Thanks for the comment Mr. Sexauer.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:40 PM

That looks really cool. I have one small criticism. To me it would look so much better without the headplate. It just seems a small crime to cover up that beautiful wood. Even that is such a small detail in my eyes. Thanks for posting this up. Beautiful woods and a beautiful guitar.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:53 PM

Thanks Jeff, I could have gone without it, but the scarf joint would have been visible, so I reversed the woods in the overlay and added the ebony/abalone butterfly. I wanted a long slender look to it.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:59 PM

Haha I see. I really like the look and thanks so much for posting.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

I really like the color combo of the wood, very beautiful guitar, post some sound clips whenever you have a chance, congrats!
Old 12-20-2009, 07:15 PM

Well your moniker of "builder of unique guitars" is intact. This is a beauty. Really stunning. That holly really makes for a beautiful neck.

I actualy like the headplate.

Have a question on the stacked heel. The heel sections seem to have a black line between the holly and cherry, while the rest of the neck doesn't or am I seeing thing?

P.S. Your photographic skills have improved also!
Old 12-20-2009, 07:24 PM

...Butterfly, well, it's part butterfly and part comedy/tragedy mardi-gras style masks, picture is a little hazy, but imparts a little of my feelings too.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:53 PM

Original post quote:

".. with fine ebony fingers creeping up the heel. "

Good eye Pappy! I did inlet four thin strips of ebony by slicing beside the cherry to tie it to the ebony heel cap. Up close and personal it stands out and well, it's unique, right?

....glad you didn't think this one was my entry for ugliest guitar!. It does sound nice IMO.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticjazz View Post
I really like the color combo of the wood, very beautiful guitar, post some sound clips whenever you have a chance, congrats!

Thanks, I like the colors too, and a clip coming soon.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:59 PM

Can't wait to hear this thing. Thanks again for showing us this fine instrument.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:51 PM
happiness

Lovely! That's my favourite guitar size, I really like the unusual detailing and wood combination, would certainly like to hear a sound clip!

Fliss (aka "the parlour princess" )

Last edited by Fliss; 12-21-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:36 AM

Fliss is right, we want to hear it!!!!!!!

It looks great. I really like the Holly neck. I bet it was hard to dry a piece of Holly that big without stains.

Again, it looks great

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop