The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-19-2009, 11:05 AM

Default Hate my big frets , whats my options ?

I had a Les Paul Junior custom built and without going into details the fret wire is to big for my liking . Whats my options ? I'm in construction and have done done woodworking and other building since I was a kid , so I could do some stuff myself but the cost of files might not be worth it . What would it cost to have a luthier fix it ? Here is the culprit . I believe the frets are Stew mac's #154 .

Old 12-19-2009, 11:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by korby View Post
I had a Les Paul Junior custom built and without going into details the fret wire is to big for my liking . Whats my options ? I'm in construction and have done done woodworking and other building since I was a kid , so I could do some stuff myself but the cost of files might not be worth it . What would it cost to have a luthier fix it ? Here is the culprit . I believe the frets are Stew mac's #154 .

Korby,
Why do you specifically not like the large wire? Is it because you keep pressing too hard and making the notes go sharp?

I love large wire, but then again I'm talking about an acoustic with .013's on it.

If the intonation problems are what's bugging you, it might be a good time to put on a heavier set of strings and see if you enjoy the fatter sound as well.

As far as being able to do anything with a set of files: You may well be handy, but fret work is something that requires practice to do it well. Most good repairmen have a jig that locks the neck in place, under string tension, and then they can remove the strings to do the filing.

If not, there's a good chance that it does not come out as good as it might otherwise.

On the other hand if you want to practice on your own guitar, it may be that at worst you'll have to have it refretted with smaller wire.

Heavier strings=More manly................Dude!!

HE
Old 12-19-2009, 11:31 AM

That "culprit" looks pretty darn sweet to me ~ Play it hard, and wear down the frets a bit!

No - seriously, if they are troubling to you take it to a good luthier and have them file the frets to your liking. A guitar that you really like should be as "issue free" as possible.

all the best!
Bill
Old 12-19-2009, 11:44 AM

Cowboy A chord is the only place it's going sharp , I've learned to go lighter on it . I slide chords a lot and slide a bit when doing lead so it's like going over railroad tracks . I just had a 70's reissue strat for a while and it had almost non existent fret wire , also my Larivee parlor has low frets . I might need to take some more time and adjust to it .
Old 12-22-2009, 11:23 AM

Thanks Howard , I put 11's on and it cured all my problems , no more thunk thunk thunk over the frets , no more sharp notes , my b string is less twangy and I do feel a little more masculine .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop