The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-18-2024, 04:15 AM

Default Heritage 550

Slight GAS attack which I'm resisting but I've seen a Heritage 550 and it sure looks a beautiful guitar. I'm a sucker for a bit of flame. Does any member have anything to say about this model...good, bad or indifferent? I also love the backstory of this company and would expect a finely built instrument.

I'm not what you would call a jazzer but I do play a handful of tunes (Chord/Melody/Solo) from the great American songbook, currently on an Eastman T/64 which does the job admirably.

Also looking at an Eastman T/49 single pick up as I've a soft spot for short scale Es 175's but having owned a few in the past fancy something a little different.
Old 03-18-2024, 05:28 AM

no experience with that model, but I do have some experience with Heritage guitars and their service.

I had an H575 (Es-175) it was a beauty.

the entire guitar had Flamed maple to the moon and back.

I had some issues with the intonation, so I figured I'd call them for advice.

The phone was answered on the 2nd or 3rd ring.

I told them why I was calling and he says "hang on a sec, one of the guy who builds those is right down the hall"

They sent me a few rosewood bridge pieces and gave me some advice on how to do the shaping to help the intonation get better. Which is what I did and it improved.

I also have an H-150 from the mid 90s that I'm holding for a friend who's had it for about 25 years. It's a beast. 10.1 lbs and it screams.

long story short, these guys are legit. I'm not sure they hold the value like a Gibson would but IMO they are one of the last USA makers that mere mortals like us can afford. Though they are starting to fetch higher prices new.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-18-2024, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

Heritage makes great guitars.

I currently own an H-150 and previously owned an H-535. Both are fantastic.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:32 AM

I have a 575 and it is my main electric guitar. It's gorgeous, a great sounding and playing instrument, and I'll likely play it the rest of my days..

The 550 is somewhat based of the Gibson ES-350. The Heritage has one little odd thing about it-- it has a block under the bridge, which is set into the guitar's top. I prefer a floating all wood bridge on this type of guitar, but that's just a personal preference thing. They look as beautiful in person as they do in pictures.

I don't believe they are making these at all anymore, so you'll need to look out for a used one. Heritage guitars are in a bit of an odd flux on the used market right now, you'll still see some still going for cheap (they never had the resale name cache value of a comparable Gibson) but now some folks are asking top dollar, knowing that the company is not making many of the models anymore (nor will they likely again)

Good luck in your search. A good 550 will be an absolutely amazing instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-18-2024, 09:40 AM

Thank you all for the replies, appreciate y'all taking the time. Hasn't helped the GAS one little bit but I am swaying towards the Heritage.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:47 AM

I have a H 575 custom and a H535 LTD , like both better than their Gibby counterparts ,and have both
Old 03-19-2024, 11:57 AM

Heritage guitars are fine guitars I own 3 of them, 2 H150s, and the very first H535 that was built with P90s. The H150s both needed a new nut cut, but were fine guitars. I just got the H535 last year and it's a beauty all the way around.

2010 H150 (I replaced the hardware with Faber locking ABR and lightweight tailpiece, and installed a custom set of Zhangbucker Pure Handwound pickups)

2015 H150 (I replaced the hardware with a Faber locking ABR, and a Tonepros lightweight tailpiece, and installed a set of Duncan Peter Green Custom Shop pickups)

The H535 was ordered without a pickguard so I installed one made by Mojoaxe

Old 03-20-2024, 02:13 PM

Never played one — just a humble single-coil guy — but Heritage has a great reputation. It was founded by a bunch of Gibson master luthiers who didn't want to leave Boseman.
Old 04-02-2024, 08:49 AM

Default Copy Editor Pipes Up and Butts In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
Never played one — just a humble single-coil guy — but Heritage has a great reputation. It was founded by a bunch of Gibson master luthiers who didn't want to leave Boseman.

Erm, that would be Kalamazoo, MI, where the old Gibson factory was located.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritage_Guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops