The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-08-2024, 09:36 AM

Default Kalamazoo archtop model?

I inherited a Kalamazoo archtop from my grandfather when he passed a few years ago. It’s a KG model, but I’m not sure if it’s a 21, 22, or 31 (or others I’m unaware of?). I couldn’t find a website comparing the differences between the models. I know pics would help, and I can try to post some later if people wanna help me guess. Is there a good resource online comparing all the models? It doesn’t have the imprinted model number on the back of the headstock like so many others I’ve seen. The tuner buttons are white. It also has the thick V neck on it. As far as I can tell, it’s structurally sound with no cracks, and all the parts are original.

The model would be nice to know, but I’m more interested in what kind of strings to put on it, as I know next to zero about acoustic archtops.

Thank you so much for your time!
Old 01-08-2024, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

What's the body width? That would be one of the first things to distinguish the model, along with whether the back and sides are maple or mahogany. The KG-21 is smaller and mahogany, the 22 is wider and maple, the 31 is wider and mahogany. The sizes are 14 3/4" and 16" iirc.
And for strings, I find my KG-21 comes alive with mediums rather than lights, but you'd want to be sure the instrument is structurally good. Martin Retro and John Pearse pure nickel seem to suit mine quite well. More regular phosphor bronze or 80/20 strings are fine too, though PB strings didn't exist when these were made.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 01-08-2024, 11:37 AM

If you're on facebook join the group "Gibsons by another name" they'll identify it quick.
Old 01-08-2024, 02:29 PM

Thank you, PineMarten. I just measured the lower bout width, and it came to 14 3/4". Also, looks to me like the back and sides are very much mahogany. So this guitar must be a KG-21?

And I appreciate the string suggestions. Looks like flatwounds are on there now, and they're not my cup of tea, which is why I asked.
Old 01-08-2024, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdogblues View Post
If you're on facebook join the group "Gibsons by another name" they'll identify it quick.
Thanks for the link, Jdog. I think PineMarten got me there, so it might not be necessary.
Old 01-08-2024, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

There's a KG-16 also, which looks very close to the 21, but the examples I've seen have had a more reddish burst and no back binding.
Old 01-08-2024, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineMarten View Post
There's a KG-16 also, which looks very close to the 21, but the examples I've seen have had a more reddish burst and no back binding.
This one has white (well, now an aged yellowish white) binding on the front and back. I still can't believe this one has no structural issues, even though it's scarred up pretty badly. Fun guitar. Looking forward to getting the slide on it!

Thanks again for the help!
Old 01-20-2024, 06:01 AM

I have a KG 16 that I know is a KG-16 because the
highly knowledgeable dealer I got it from told me so

Not sure if he said 1938, but know it was in 30's and
that's what I recall him saying

Pretty plain, not a large body, but with exceptional thumping bluesy and slide tone

Definitely a "limited sounding" guitar, but limited to what I like to play

Not particularly helpful with identifying yours, but just
a testament to keep it and let it show you how it likes
to be played
Guild Acoustic Fretless Bass
Old 01-20-2024, 01:15 PM

I previously posted about mine here, was pretty convinced it's a KG-21, but it definitely has a more reddish burst and no back binding. Either way, I really like it.

I've experimented a bit with strings and have settled on phosphor bronze mediums, usually Martin MA550s or D'addario EJ17s. It's the smallest guitar I have but it may be the loudest - it has a narrow tonal focus but has a ton of midrange punch.

Mine has a factory order number on the back of its headstock which helped me date it. Gibson wasn't always consistent so your mileage may vary. I also can see some pencil marks inside, but they're too faint to make out.

If you share some pictures that would be helpful in identifying what you have, plus these are just fun to see.
Old 01-23-2024, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeYouDon't View Post
I previously posted about mine here, was pretty convinced it's a KG-21, but it definitely has a more reddish burst and no back binding. Either way, I really like it.

I've experimented a bit with strings and have settled on phosphor bronze mediums, usually Martin MA550s or D'addario EJ17s. It's the smallest guitar I have but it may be the loudest - it has a narrow tonal focus but has a ton of midrange punch.

Mine has a factory order number on the back of its headstock which helped me date it. Gibson wasn't always consistent so your mileage may vary. I also can see some pencil marks inside, but they're too faint to make out.

If you share some pictures that would be helpful in identifying what you have, plus these are just fun to see.
I didn't want to bump that 5-year old thread, but did you ever find a case that works for yours? I've been quite happy with a Hiscox deep bowl Ovation case for mine - I added a small cushion at the tail block, but with that done it's a good fit.
Old 01-23-2024, 04:40 PM

I did not, ended up with a cheapo gigbag for the rare occasions it's needed to travel, but it basically never leaves the house.

Not having a case has actually been kind of a blessing in disguise though, having it on a stand in the living room has resulted in playing it a lot more than I think I otherwise would have, and working to draw the best tone out of this guitar has made me a better player overall.

With its age and the life its lived it is very much settled into itself - I was a bit nervous about humidity possibly being a problem with no truss rod and since it gets so dry here in Colorado, but it's been incredibly stable.

I have a number of flat tops that live in their cases with humidipaks when not being played, and they are all far more sensitive to weather changes. Might be somewhat related to the Kalamazoo's arco-arched wood, but I think the age is the main contributor.

Helpful note about the Ovation Hiscox, I'll keep an eye out for one, even with the above I still wouldn't mind getting something to be able to more comfortably cart it around if I wanted to take it to a jam or something.
Old 01-25-2024, 05:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeYouDon't View Post
I did not, ended up with a cheapo gigbag for the rare occasions it's needed to travel, but it basically never leaves the house.

Not having a case has actually been kind of a blessing in disguise though, having it on a stand in the living room has resulted in playing it a lot more than I think I otherwise would have, and working to draw the best tone out of this guitar has made me a better player overall.

With its age and the life its lived it is very much settled into itself - I was a bit nervous about humidity possibly being a problem with no truss rod and since it gets so dry here in Colorado, but it's been incredibly stable.

I have a number of flat tops that live in their cases with humidipaks when not being played, and they are all far more sensitive to weather changes. Might be somewhat related to the Kalamazoo's arco-arched wood, but I think the age is the main contributor.

Helpful note about the Ovation Hiscox, I'll keep an eye out for one, even with the above I still wouldn't mind getting something to be able to more comfortably cart it around if I wanted to take it to a jam or something.
The KG models that are 14.75" lower bout are the same dimensions as Gibson L-30's (and several other models) in terms of having an arched top and a flat back.

L-30's and L-00's are the same outline, and therefore any case for an L-00 sized guitar will fit perfectly.

HE
Old 01-25-2024, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
The KG models that are 14.75" lower bout are the same dimensions as Gibson L-30's (and several other models) in terms of having an arched top and a flat back.

L-30's and L-00's are the same outline, and therefore any case for an L-00 sized guitar will fit perfectly.

HE
The backs on the KG models are arched, and combined with the deep sides, many cases for flat tops aren't deep enough for these. I went to a local music shop with mine and just tried cases until one fitted, which was the Hiscox Ovation case, but even many dreadnought and jumbo cases were too shallow.
Old 01-25-2024, 09:26 AM

Yeah, accommodating for the arch is the problem. I have a Waterloo WL-K that has the exact same body shape, but the Kalamazoo is just too deep to fit in the case. It'll sit in the footprint, but there's no way it would close without squashing the guitar.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:51 AM

My KG came with a relatively inexpensive older soft shell (non-original) case, and when I volunteered to pay more for a better case, they said it was a difficult size to fit...which makes me think the depth and arch may mean the standard 00 size won't work
Guild Acoustic Fretless Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops