The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-29-2011, 11:25 AM

Default mics at player position

Would it be nice to have two sound samples for guitars instead of just one?
One sample would be recorded with mic(s) at the front. The other sample would be recorded with mic(s) positioned as close as possible to the ear position of the player; mics would probably be on stands behind the player with the mic sitting between the shoulder and ear.

I want to hear what a guitar sounds like when I play it more than what it sounds like out front. I guess soundported guitars would sound better in the second recording position.

Sounds like a pain to set up and record ( who wants to see a mic out the corner of their eye!), but might actually help players get a better idea of a guitar’s sound.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by random works View Post
Would it be nice to have two sound samples for guitars instead of just one?
One sample would be recorded with mic(s) at the front. The other sample would be recorded with mic(s) positioned as close as possible to the ear position of the player; mics would probably be on stands behind the player with the mic sitting between the shoulder and ear.

I want to hear what a guitar sounds like when I play it more than what it sounds like out front. I guess soundported guitars would sound better in the second recording position.

Sounds like a pain to set up and record ( who wants to see a mic out the corner of their eye!), but might actually help players get a better idea of a guitar’s sound.
Hi rw…
I don't know if a Jecklin Disc or mid-side (or other binaural recording rig) pulled right in front of the face would do a little, but that would still be 8'' in front of where you listen with your ears. Maybe a small diaphragm mic taped to the top of the head.

I think there will always be a breakdown between recordings and actual sound because of the quality of both recorders and playback rigs, compression, and the actual sound of guitars.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion