The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-31-2017, 08:27 AM

Default IEM ... can you hear me now??

We recently bought a qsc touchmix. there are Aux channels
dedicated to in ear monitors so an external amp is not required.
looking for suggestions from folks that use
IEM in thier bands. We have a guitar player
that has tinnitus and usually his monitor level
is so loud it muddys the mix. i think IEM's would
be a good solution for him.
so i am looking for suggestions on a set of good quality low cost(i know) IEM .
Old 12-31-2017, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

There is another thread on this subject, but I suspect your friend is in need of something more along this line. It is a wired unit that allows for the musician to hear not only the monitor mix but his own voice and instrument, all individually controlled by him to yield a custom mix in his ear buds.

http://ineargear.com/hardwired/rollspm351.html
Old 12-31-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
There is another thread on this subject, but I suspect your friend is in need of something more along this line. It is a wired unit that allows for the musician to hear not only the monitor mix but his own voice and instrument, all individually controlled by him to yield a custom mix in his ear buds.

http://ineargear.com/hardwired/rollspm351.html
I've used the ART version of the above in the past and it is basic but will do the job.

You can get away with any decent in ear phones but memory foam buds offer a bit more isolation over rubber cup types.

I use Shure SE425 with custom molds which are pricey but well worth it imo. You get what you pay for with IEM.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:46 PM

I have Shure SE215s, but prefer my MEE Pro6 over the Shures , which are large for my ears. I got my drummer a set of the Pro6 and he prefers them to the Shures also. MEE now has a Pro 7 model with dual drivers out, may be worth a look if your budget is under $150.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I have Shure SE215s, but prefer my MEE Pro6 over the Shures , which are large for my ears. I got my drummer a set of the Pro6 and he prefers them to the Shures also. MEE now has a Pro 7 model with dual drivers out, may be worth a look if your budget is under $150.
i will look at those. again the qsc board is the
iem amp.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:12 AM

I have the Shure 215s as well. Work great, but once they're "sealed" in your ear, you can't hear *anything* that's not coming through the PA.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
I have the Shure 215s as well. Work great, but once they're "sealed" in your ear, you can't hear *anything* that's not coming through the PA.
is this something you have to learn to get used
to.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:49 AM

I just did a studio session and only had my Shures with me, and I was ok with both in. If you're out playing live and need to hear anyone one anything around you that's not going through your pa, for me, I only use one iem (usually the left, due to mono channel going to left).
Old 01-01-2018, 02:38 PM

It depends. I usually wear one in and have one out so I can hear the mains.

My partners has his mix dialed in and says it sounds like he’s listening to a recording.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:02 PM

It is really bad for your ears to do the one in/one out thing. One study showed it might be worse than not wearing protection at all. It is definitely something you have to get used to. It’s easier if you can run in stereo with the ability to pan things, but if you are missing stage ambiance, I recommend setting up a live mic dedicated to stage ambiance (a pair works well in stereo).
Old 01-02-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticus1019 View Post
It is really bad for your ears to do the one in/one out thing. One study showed it might be worse than not wearing protection at all. It is definitely something you have to get used to. It’s easier if you can run in stereo with the ability to pan things, but if you are missing stage ambiance, I recommend setting up a live mic dedicated to stage ambiance (a pair works well in stereo).
how/where do you set these up?
Old 01-02-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
how/where do you set these up?
If you are talking about how/where to set up stage mics for ambience, it kind of depends on your band/what you want to hear/what you have available (channels/extra mics/etc). If you have drums, I would advise placing the mic away from the drums. Basically you just want the mics to hear what you feel you are missing by isolating yourself with in ears. That way you can have stage ambiance but you can control the volume so it isn’t damaging to your ears. Most any unmuted microphone would do the trick, some just work better than others. The most important thing is to make sure you do not route these mics through the mains, only to send them to your aux mixes for your in ears.

We use two 57s on kick stands at either side of the stage crossing in an x (left mic pointed at back right corner of the stage and right mic pointed at back left corner of the stage) with a high pass filter around 150hz and a scoop around 600hz and a shelfed slight boost at around 10k. They are compressed pretty heavily to cut down on dynamics. This gives the sense of “air” and “space” and cuts out any muddy mids and low end rumble and allows us to control the volume of the stage noise. In my ears, pretty much any member of the band can talk normally between songs (not into their microphone) and I can hear them.

We also have the channels for it on our board so I have a stereo pair of small diaphragm condensers back at front of house pointed at us to give a slight room/crowd feel too. Totally unnecessary, but I like what it adds and I have the tools to do it so why not, right?

When we first started using in ear monitors, we were in mono on the lowest entry level Shure wireless series. It was awful, I felt totally cut off from the band and I wasn’t confident playing or singing because of what I was hearing in my monitors. After a while we upgraded to a stereo Shure in ear system with better signal strength/quality and, of course, the ability to pan things in the mix. It was still very isolated, but the ability to create a sense of space with panning helped an enormous amount. We added ambience mics not long after the switch to stereo and I will say after adding some eq and compression, my mix is amazing. The biggest help though was switching to stereo, if I had to choose between ambience mics and a stereo mix, it would be no contest.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticus1019 View Post
If you are talking about how/where to set up stage mics for ambience, it kind of depends on your band/what you want to hear/what you have available (channels/extra mics/etc). If you have drums, I would advise placing the mic away from the drums. Basically you just want the mics to hear what you feel you are missing by isolating yourself with in ears. That way you can have stage ambiance but you can control the volume so it isn’t damaging to your ears. Most any unmuted microphone would do the trick, some just work better than others. The most important thing is to make sure you do not route these mics through the mains, only to send them to your aux mixes for your in ears.

We use two 57s on kick stands at either side of the stage crossing in an x (left mic pointed at back right corner of the stage and right mic pointed at back left corner of the stage) with a high pass filter around 150hz and a scoop around 600hz and a shelfed slight boost at around 10k. They are compressed pretty heavily to cut down on dynamics. This gives the sense of “air” and “space” and cuts out any muddy mids and low end rumble and allows us to control the volume of the stage noise. In my ears, pretty much any member of the band can talk normally between songs (not into their microphone) and I can hear them.

We also have the channels for it on our board so I have a stereo pair of small diaphragm condensers back at front of house pointed at us to give a slight room/crowd feel too. Totally unnecessary, but I like what it adds and I have the tools to do it so why not, right?

When we first started using in ear monitors, we were in mono on the lowest entry level Shure wireless series. It was awful, I felt totally cut off from the band and I wasn’t confident playing or singing because of what I was hearing in my monitors. After a while we upgraded to a stereo Shure in ear system with better signal strength/quality and, of course, the ability to pan things in the mix. It was still very isolated, but the ability to create a sense of space with panning helped an enormous amount. We added ambience mics not long after the switch to stereo and I will say after adding some eq and compression, my mix is amazing. The biggest help though was switching to stereo, if I had to choose between ambience mics and a stereo mix, it would be no contest.
thanks that all makes sense. i can see how this would help.
i get this same isolation whenever i am in a studio. something
about headphones is just unnatural to playing acoustic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification