The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-12-2017, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Default First Recording playing Electric

Ever since I started home recording in 2003 I have wanted to be able play
electric guitar leads to support my one man band productions. And so as bucket list endeavor, (as some may know) a little less than a year ago I got back into electric guitar after 47 years of playing acoustic.
And I finally decided to learn how to play lead and took some lessons .

So I thought I would post this example of the progress of that endeavor to date .

The song is cover of Shawn Mullins "California"

This a first mix and is a tiny bit hot on my laptop spk's but ok on earbuds, HP's, or studio monitors

Some context and particulars :
Recorded in my attic studio using Pro Tools 12.8.1 HDN on 2010 Mac Pro.
This production actually started as a simple acoustic guitar and vocal recorded at the same time in one shot take to be used for a Youtube Video. But unfortunately being a neophyte at video it was not very good. So I decided to wing it, and use it as the start for a bit more complex production. And this is the result. For the electric parts I am using my PRS CE 24 and am mic'ing my Supro Titan Combo and Cab.

For the initial tracks the simultaneous vocal and acoustic take. On the acoustic guitar I am using a Schoeps CMC6 & MK4 SDC about 12 to 14 inches out from aprox 14 fret
The vocal is a Brauner Phantom V set to cardioid also out about 10 to 12 inches. So they are both mono recordings .

The piano is a stereo instrument track " Inst. 1". Using the bundled PT Mini Grand, VI piano ( played on an Akia MPK 249 midi keyboard).

The electric guitar is recorded in dual mono tracks L&R, mic'ing my Supro Titan combo amp and matching Cab with the the lower 1X12 cab mic'ed at about 6 inches out with the Schoeps, and the upper 1X10 mic'ed with the Brauner out about 12 -14 inches .

Here are some screen shots of the PT session Mix and Edit windows. Showing settings like panning levels FX etc.

The "M7 Verb" track is the reverb Aux input track, with my hardware Bricasti M7 inserted
The "2 Mix " track is also an Aux input track is the master sub bus
with my hardware compressor inserted on it labeled "3 U "

The Mix window

The Edit window

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 10-12-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new talent. Recording wise it's a quite congested sound and there are many digital overs from too hot a signal.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-12-2017, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Interesting as I said a first mix, I am genuinely interested on what it is you are hearing as overs , because I am not actually seeing digital overs or clipping on any of the tracks meters, so I am wondering if perhaps the peak limiter on the master fader might be too hot ? Also can you be a bit more specific on what mean, or what your hearing as "congested" also thanks ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 10-12-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Interesting as I said a first mix, I am genuinely interested on what it is you are hearing as overs , because I am not actually seeing digital overs or clipping on any of the tracks meters, so I am wondering if perhaps the peak limiter on the master fader might be too hot ? Also can you be a bit more specific on what mean, or what your hearing as "congested" also thanks ?
Overs as per Audacity set at -1dB below max.
Congested as different sound sources fighting for the same frequency bands and location space. Heavy bass frequency build up. Sounded somewhat better to me when I used Audacity to cut the bass frequencies a few decibels. Maybe others with chime in.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-12-2017, 06:35 PM

Really nice, Kev. If I remember correctly, we both took a recording workshop with Ronin a few years back.

I've never posted any of my stuff here but your song has inspired me to do that. On another thread...

Jim
Old 10-12-2017, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Overs as per Audacity set at -1dB below max.
Congested as different sound sources fighting for the same frequency bands and location space. Heavy bass frequency build up. Sounded somewhat better to me when I used Audacity to cut the bass frequencies a few decibels. Maybe others with chime in.
I am unclear, how you are getting the 128 bit MP3 streaming file into Audacity , to be able to set Audacity at -1 ? Are you using some kind of third party downloading program ?

The bass is a good point The only track I cut the lows on was the acoustic gtr I will have to revisit that
As far as crowded in the same frequencies thats a good point also . And space wise I will recheck that as well
I did break one of my own rules of getting a first mix and then getting away and do not listen for at least overnight or even a day or two before making any final decisions .
I will let it be for a day or two and revisit the mix
Straightforward critique is always welcome thanks.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 10-13-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Really nice, Kev. If I remember correctly, we both took a recording workshop with Ronin a few years back.

I've never posted any of my stuff here but your song has inspired me to do that. On another thread...

Jim
Thanks, Yes must 5 to 7 years is it not ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 10-13-2017, 07:47 AM

For your next attempt, you might try this. Lay down your rhythm bed and a vocal. Then do another vocal pass where you sing the lead and also scat sing guitar stuff in between. Then pick up your guitar and learn to play what you sang. That way Singer-You and Guitar-You won't be stepping all over each other, and your guitar lines won't be limited to what your fingers do on autopilot. Just an idea.

Couch Standards
Old 10-13-2017, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
For your next attempt, you might try this. Lay down your rhythm bed and a vocal. Then do another vocal pass where you sing the lead and also scat sing guitar stuff in between. Then pick up your guitar and learn to play what you sang. That way Singer-You and Guitar-You won't be stepping all over each other, and your guitar lines won't be limited to what your fingers do on autopilot. Just an idea.

Question, do the guitar and vocal parts seem to be stepping all over each other ? Honest critique is appreciated.

Interesting suggestion : To clarify in the second pass "sing the lead"( lead vocal,? ) and scat sing the gtr parts. is what I have been calling the lead guitar riffs, yes ? .

So if I am understanding correctly, essentially you are suggesting do not have any lead guitar riffs overlapping with the vocal or very little if any? I am completely open to suggestions, as I am too old to be hung up on preserving artistic license if it starts interfere with the craft of sound arrangement.
I definitely like the idea of not being on autopilot (I am guessing your refering to things "limited" to just scale based riffs , yes ?) also I can see where this suggestion could help with a more cohesive feel to the guitar parts and less of a slightly random feeling ? Anyway thanks for the suggestion I will definitely give it a shot as an arrangement technique considreration.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 10-13-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Question, do the guitar and vocal parts seem to be stepping all over each other ?
I'd say the guitar is doing all the stepping, but yes.

Quote:
To clarify in the second pass "sing the lead"( lead vocal,? ) and scat sing the gtr parts. is what I have been calling the lead guitar riffs, yes ? .
Right -- sing the lead vocal while also singing "guitar licks" in between the vocal lines. Up to the limits of your lung capacity.

Quote:
... you are suggesting do not have any lead guitar riffs overlapping with the vocal or very little if any?
Good place to start, for sure.

Couch Standards
Old 10-13-2017, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I'd say the guitar is doing all the stepping, but yes.

Right -- sing the lead vocal while also singing "guitar licks" in between the vocal lines. Up to the limits of your lung capacity.

Good place to start, for sure.
I will certainly give it a go , Thanks, Kev

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD