The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-09-2017, 05:43 PM

Default Piano/keyboard app for recording musical ideas.

Hi,
Sometimes I'll get an idea for something on my guitar, like a short lick or something, but don't have my guitar with me to work it out on. I'm hoping to find an iPhone app with a keyboard that also records what you play on it so I can work it out and record it to remember. Does anybody use anything like this or know of a good app to use? I've already looked around a bit but haven't found anything that really fits the bill yet. Garageband might work, but it just takes up too much space on the phone.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2017, 05:58 PM

welcome to the AGF!

garageband has a decent piano that is basically the same as logic's that i use. but, garageband is not free.

this is a google search of iphone piano apps. you may want to check out a few and see if one works for you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ipho...hrome&ie=UTF-8

otherwise, you may want to check keyboard sites or a site that reviews keyboard apps.

good luck

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-09-2017, 08:43 PM

Thank you for the welcome! Thanks also for the link to the Google search. I have done some searching and just didn't find anything there. Part of the difficulty I think is finding the keyboard app that also records. Checking keyboard sides is a good idea though. Thanks for that!
Old 10-10-2017, 12:07 AM

maybe you can find something here:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products...iew.php?C=apps
Old 10-10-2017, 08:02 AM

Tune ideas can be fleeting; a lot of devices have a simple voice recorder built in, so it's fast to hum a tune idea and include a bit of description of your idea if you like. There's also no faster way to capture lyrics that come to mind.

I find that conveying the feeling of an idea is just as important as the basic tune, and that's often hard to master on something like an instrument played with an app.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Tune ideas can be fleeting; a lot of devices have a simple voice recorder built in, so it's fast to hum a tune idea and include a bit of description of your idea if you like. There's also no faster way to capture lyrics that come to mind.

I find that conveying the feeling of an idea is just as important as the basic tune, and that's often hard to master on something like an instrument played with an app.
i would agree with this. if you have an iphone you can get music memo app and record your humming a tune into it. even tho you probably wouldn't need it, it does have a drum and bass that you can add. also it will tell you what notes you are humming.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-12-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
i would agree with this. if you have an iphone you can get music memo app and record your humming a tune into it. even tho you probably wouldn't need it, it does have a drum and bass that you can add. also it will tell you what notes you are humming.

play music!
Thank you for your ideas. For a while now I have just been using my iPhone's voice recorder but it just hasn't been that great. I seemed to have got on a new direction with my search and found an app just called Real Piano. The paid version for three bucks gives you the ability to record and even make the notes sounds like a guitar… More or less anyway. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for I just hadn't found it yet. Thanks again!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD