The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-10-2011, 01:06 AM

Default Vintage Yamaha "Nippon Gakki" Classical guitars?

Anyone have any experience with them? How do they compare to newer models? Any models to look out for?

I'm really liking what I hear about the old no.150's made in the 60's....
Old 04-10-2011, 06:57 AM

I have a bunch. They start at the No. 25...all laminate as are the No. 60 and the No. 80...the No. 100 is all solid maple, the 120 is mahogany though I have seen the 120 in maple as wel...l and the 150 is Palisander rosewood...this applies to the ones I own and have seen here in Japan, can`t say that for each and every one they built. I have them all except the 25, though I am satisfied with the 60 and 80 I don`t feel the need to add another all laminate. From the info I have they were made from the early `60s to the mid `60s when Yamaha introduced their GC models, can`t compare them to newer stuff because I don`t own any, all of mine are old ones and I actually have more of the Dynamics which go back to the early 1950s...the Dynamics have fatter thicker necks than the later models from the `60s which have necks closer to what we find on later Yamaha classicals today including the ones made today. There were other Yamahas too...they cam in three models and as far as I can tell they were made around the early 1960s to...the No. 45, 85 and 300....I have the 45s and 85s...only seen the 300 in books...but the 45 and 85 are all solid natural flamed maple and share the fat necks of the Dynamics as opposed to the true classical necks, but the 45s and 85s I have are right up there with my No. 100, 120 and 150s...I have 14 of these early classical types and 30 of the Dynamics...personally I prefer the Dynamic tone...very deep and well rounded but others may feel differently. If you like the No. 150 then it would be worth looking into the Dynamics too, all solid wood and very well made which should go without saying since I am still playing mine and I`m certain they will outlive me. The reason I have so many of these old Yamahas is because the prices are so low they`re hard to refuse, lots of people are after the red label FGs now while the old Dynamics and early classical types go almost unnoticed, I`ve said it before and I`ll say it again, I`m still looking for an FG that sounds better then my old Dynamics. But...the old Yamaha nylon strings have a hold on me and I just love em to bits.
If you do a search on the site you will see pics of mine, they`ve been posted before in threads so I won`t post em again.

you can see this Japanese site dedicated to the old Yamaha nylon strings and get an idea on the models they made, some were for export...like the #30, 50 and 70...same guitars but with different inlays and rosettes... which can be identified by the arched YAMAHA across the headstock while the domestic models had the logo running straight across the top. You will notice different labels, from what I`ve read the white with red dotted border label came out in 1960 which is when they reached a 6 digit serial, seen on the neck block through the sound hole...my earliest #1 has a 3 digit serial. But we can only get a ballpark time frame from the label color...nobody seems to really know precise years for each different label though we know the order in which they changed so we can tell the oldest from the newest but thats it. So far Yamaha has not spilled the beans on their old acoustics so all we can do is guess. But the guys at the linked site have them running in order of appearance...oldest at the top of the page.
http://www.geocities.jp/mmasmcb/catalog.html

Last edited by sneaky; 04-10-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky View Post
I have a bunch. They start at the No. 25...all laminate as are the No. 60 and the No. 80...the No. 100 is all solid maple, the 120 is mahogany though I have seen the 120 in maple as wel...l and the 150 is Palisander rosewood...this applies to the ones I own and have seen here in Japan, can`t say that for each and every one they built. I have them all except the 25, though I am satisfied with the 60 and 80 I don`t feel the need to add another all laminate. From the info I have they were made from the early `60s to the mid `60s when Yamaha introduced their GC models, can`t compare them to newer stuff because I don`t own any, all of mine are old ones and I actually have more of the Dynamics which go back to the early 1950s...the Dynamics have fatter thicker necks than the later models from the `60s which have necks closer to what we find on later Yamaha classicals today including the ones made today. There were other Yamahas too...they cam in three models and as far as I can tell they were made around the early 1960s to...the No. 45, 85 and 300....I have the 45s and 85s...only seen the 300 in books...but the 45 and 85 are all solid natural flamed maple and share the fat necks of the Dynamics as opposed to the true classical necks, but the 45s and 85s I have are right up there with my No. 100, 120 and 150s...I have 14 of these early classical types and 30 of the Dynamics...personally I prefer the Dynamic tone...very deep and well rounded but others may feel differently. If you like the No. 150 then it would be worth looking into the Dynamics too, all solid wood and very well made which should go without saying since I am still playing mine and I`m certain they will outlive me. The reason I have so many of these old Yamahas is because the prices are so low they`re hard to refuse, lots of people are after the red label FGs now while the old Dynamics and early classical types go almost unnoticed, I`ve said it before and I`ll say it again, I`m still looking for an FG that sounds better then my old Dynamics. But...the old Yamaha nylon strings have a hold on me and I just love em to bits.
If you do a search on the site you will see pics of mine, they`ve been posted before in threads so I won`t post em again.

you can see this Japanese site dedicated to the old Yamaha nylon strings and get an idea on the models they made, some were for export...like the #30, 50 and 70...same guitars but with different inlays and rosettes... which can be identified by the arched YAMAHA across the headstock while the domestic models had the logo running straight across the top. You will notice different labels, from what I`ve read the white with red dotted border label came out in 1960 which is when they reached a 6 digit serial, seen on the neck block through the sound hole...my earliest #1 has a 3 digit serial. But we can only get a ballpark time frame from the label color...nobody seems to really know precise years for each different label though we know the order in which they changed so we can tell the oldest from the newest but thats it. So far Yamaha has not spilled the beans on their old acoustics so all we can do is guess. But the guys at the linked site have them running in order of appearance...oldest at the top of the page.
Very interesting! Thanks for your response. I know you said you really love your Dynamics, just curious...do you use them with steel strings or nylon? What strings do you find really makes them sing? Dynamic models to look for?

THe reason I ask is because I'm primarily looking for a nylon string but the whole concept of "dynamic" makes me attracted to them

Last edited by soma89; 04-10-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:06 PM

tried steels on one once and it just didn`t work well, the saddle is a straight bar, uncompensated so it won`t intonate...they sound much better with nylon strings to me.
All the Dynamics I have and have seen are maple so it depends on what color and appointments you like...I prefer my #40s, they seem to be a little heavier for some reason but they all sound good to me, certain models have different rosettes and some came in different colors so just gotta find one that appeals.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:30 PM

I have owned a 120 for a few months and think it is a terrific classical with lots of history and great sound. It was in playing condition when I got it but the nut was in need of replacement and I'm also going to have a new saddle put in soon. The original plastic one is just about at its end. These are all wood, well made guitars that stand the test of time and are still very affordable.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:15 AM

looking through old Yamaha catalogs today and 1966 is the first year they show up however I don`t know if there are some catalogs missing from that site for those models...and 1966 is supposed to be the first year Yamaha had their own guitar factory and 1967 the year they introduced the GC 3, 5 and 7 classical models in conjunction with senior Ferrer who was invited to Japan in `66 to assist them. They say Tenryu was made a subsidiary in 1954, and that name along with Suzuki have been tied to Yamaha before here in Japan, so just who made these early nylon strings is still uncertain.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:28 AM

When I was recovering from a heart transplant, I picked up one of these to learn fingerstyle on. It is a Vintage Yamaha classical guitar - model G-50A (Nippon Gakki Co. Ltd. originally sold between 1969-1972) - Serial No. 1549786. This Yamaha G-50 A has a Spruce top, Katsura back/sides, Nato neck, Bubinga fingerboard & bridge.

It shows some wear but has a great tone and is easy to play. I needed all the help I could get transitioning from a Martin 12 string to a wide neck classical!

I've since moved on to smaller body steel strings, so it's languishing at a friends house on loan for a while...I don't think it's been played for months. Great guitar!
Old 04-11-2011, 08:33 PM

yeah those are different, not the same models we`re speaking of. There was a G-160, 120, 100, 80, 60 and lastly the 50.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:54 PM

I have a #20 that belonged to my neighbor. It was given to me by her son when she died. I have no idea how old it is. All I do know is that she was 80+ when she passed, and she bought it while she was in college. It was missing the G string when she first showed it to me and still is. Anyone have any information on this model as to age or value? The serial # is 187409. Also, I can't tell if it's solid wood or laminate.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:19 PM

I bet it has a white label with a red border, not dotted but rather...how should I say this...well, it`s not a solid red border, dotted but with rectangles? From my books and info I got that white label and they reached 6 digit serials in 1960. Should have a small JIS symbol where the truss rod cover would be on an electric. It should say Yamaha Dynamic Guitar straight across the top of the headstock. I own several Dynamic guitars and a couple of #20s, the ones I have are all solid wood...Ezo spruce top and dark brown flamed maple back and sides...never seen a Dynamic that wasn`t all solid wood.
Best anyone can do is say if it has the white/red label and because of the 6 digit serial, it was made between 1960 and 1965/66 when the Dynamics ended. I have been looking for info on all of mine for years and thats the best I`ve been able to find.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky View Post

May I inform you that the no.25 has a solid top not all laminate.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:19 PM

you might...if you offered more than what you have in your first post...but the ones I`ve seen in person in Japan were not. My no. 60 and No. 80 are laminated tops, the 25 is the bottom feeder of the series. Next time I see one I`ll take out my watchmakers loupe and look as closely as I can but the ones I saw were easy to detect.

Last edited by sneaky; 05-06-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:50 PM

Default Yamaha G 50

Does anyone know the difference between a G 50 and and a G 50A? I wanted something to play while I am out of town right now and just went out an picked up a cheap guitar, I have been having a blast playing it. The guy that sold it said it was from 1960. It says Made in Japan on the head stock.
3.) Wasburn - HB30: Just got it
4.) Novaro - Traded old hockey gear for it
5.) ?????
Amps:
1.) Peavey -VYPYR15: First amp
Old 02-28-2012, 06:02 PM

Default Yamaha Gakki 25

I have just acquired a Yamaha Gakki 25, as presented on the website. I know nothing of it's history; such as a rough manufacture date, or it's worth. I picked it up for $250 Australian. If anyone can fill me in some I'd appreciate it. It has certainly been well constructed by talent. It's sound and feel is beyond many a nylon worth $1500 +. It has a solid top, not laminate. The rest I'd love a little info if there's any out there.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:50 PM

Since posting what I did almost a year ago, I have looked more closely at my No. 60 and No. 80`s....it does look like they have solid tops, but I will have a netter look and take close up pics then look at them as screen savers where I can get a close up view. Still don`t own a No. 25 and frankly I have been in more of a selling more than buying so haven`t really looked for any. Plus, I have more than my share already but if I do see a 25 I will try to have a better look. But I will add....my No. 80 has a straight seam line running the length of the side as far as I can see through the sound hole so it does appear to be laminated sides at least...and the grains don`t match up outside and in.
If you like the 25 try to find a 150.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical