The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-16-2015, 06:49 PM

Default Another LR Baggs M1a question

I got one of these recently, and I've been setting it up trying to get a good sound. I managed to take a lot of the harshness out by working with the pole pieces, but there is still a metallic "ring" to the tone with harder strumming. Almost as if the pick noise is being amplified as a click.

I have a Para DI on the way, but I have no idea how to go about dialing this out. Has anyone ever dealt with this using an M1?
Old 10-16-2015, 11:47 PM

Every one I've had has sounded great out of the box. Wish I could be of some help.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:42 AM

Hi David,
I had some things about mine I did not like. Have you called Baggs and discussed? I can't remember the guy's name but we was really helpful and knowledgable. It's been a while ago, but for my guitar (at the time it was an Epiphone Masterbuilt with spruce top and mohogany sides/back) it came down to string type. Some sounded more brittle than others. Once I worked through that, I have liked the sound.

I ended up getting the factory specs for the pole piece settings and going back to the start. I did buy a para DI later and noticed I always needed to back off the mid tones. For my guitar, that did take out more of the metallic sound. I bought the para DI to adjust for different PA's I had to plug into.

This guy also had me adjust the tension on my clamps. It's been so long I can't remember but it seems that has something to do with picking up more or less of the top vibrations.

Wish I could remember the string type I settled on, but I do remember it did not like Elixirs. However I do like them on other guitars. It was almost like strings for the M1A needed that "worn in" sound. Old strings sounded better than new ones. Don't think it was so much the brand, but more the material.

Sorry I can't help more, but working with the Baggs guy was the best advice I got.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:42 AM

I use the M1a on my guitars. Martins have no problem sounding good, but other guitar woods, like laminate, caused a mid range hump, which a Boss GE-7 cured. I have one that resides in my Yairi that has a good balance, but playing live with difference PA's, I've had to EQ the mid range out and others not. I suspect you need an EQ pedal.There are some different variables that cause your problem.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:44 AM

One thing to try is to fully remove the adjustable polepieces (screws) on both the high B and E strings. I've done this on my M80 and it really helped take that metallic edge off of the sound.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 10-17-2015, 07:27 AM

Thanks to everyone. It didn't occur to me to either change strings or remove pole pieces on the high B and E. That last bit is intriguing -- it seems to be those strings causing the issues.

I'll report back. I think I'm going to start with EQing some of the mids out and see if I can get a more natural sound once I get the PARA DI, but I'll move on to the other suggestions if that fails. I should say, it sounds fantastic. It's not that it sounds bad, just that it has this annoying ringing noise when strumming with a pick. The fundamental tone is really nice.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

I have been thinking about getting one of these pickups. I only use the softer nylon picks (Moshay brand). I was wondering if the softer nylon picks would help knock out that brittle tone. They work great in doing that in my guitars that are mic'ed internally. Have you tried different thicknesses on the picks, or different materials such as nylon?

6 string... Taylor GS7 Custom / GO 818e 1st Edition

12 string... Taylor GO 358e / Guild F512 (79)

Baritone…. Guild 258e (8 string)
Old 10-17-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemartin View Post
I have been thinking about getting one of these pickups. I only use the softer nylon picks (Moshay brand). I was wondering if the softer nylon picks would help knock out that brittle tone. They work great in doing that in my guitars that are mic'ed internally. Have you tried different thicknesses on the picks, or different materials such as nylon?
I haven't. I'm probably too set in my ways after 30 years of playing to go changing picks. I literally only use mediums no matter what I'm playing.

I did get my Para DI in today. I also removed the B string pole piece entirely. I still get a little sizzle on the higher strings but I can dial it out with the Para DI. That's a great piece of kit by the way. The M1a sounds incredibly natural now.

I think part of it may be fret buzz on those two upper strings, so I'm going to get a shim kit and try shimming the saddle a hair to raise it up. I'll also check the neck relief. I don't notice it playing without an amp, but it's very noticeable when going through the pickup. Thanks for all the replies. With the Para DI I could use it live right now and get great tone, so that's progress. I want to get it to where I can EQ it different ways and still get good sound, because right now I have to have it just so, and I won't be able to do that live (for example, I have to work with the notch filter and the midrange sweep to get the sizzle out, and if I need the notch filter to kill feedback live, that won't do).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification