The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-07-2015, 07:32 AM

Default Need Suggestions For a Good Sounding Soundhole Pickup

Hi Everybody,

Well, once again, I have been recruited to play guitar in the employee Christams band, that plays at the Christmas party of the company I work for. Since it worked out so well last year, I have been asked to once again play acoustic, instead of electric guitar. Unfortunately, I no longer have my killer Gibson J-35, with its great sounding Baggs system (I had to sell the guitar to help pay for some major dental work this past March ). I usually prefer to play my acoustics unplugged, and if I had it my way, I'd do the same thing for this year's Christmas band, but as I found out to my chagrin, when I tried to do so last year, I got buried in the mix thanks to Fearless Bandleader (a former bass player, who decided to switch over from bass to guitar) playing electric guitar, and the bass player. Throw in the fact that I also play all of the lead guitar, and it became necessary for me to play plugged in, forcing me to get an acoustic guitar amp (the PA wasn't up power-wise, to handling several vocal mikes, the third guitar player's guitar, and my guitar).

The situation's pretty much the same again this year, so I will need to also play plugged in with the guitar I got to replace my old J-35 - a Seagull Maritime SWS Rosewood dreadnought (or if I get one in time, the small bodied acoustic I was inquiring about in another thread). Unfortunately, it has no piezo system in it, and I really don't feel like putting one in (or a blended piezo & internal microphone system either). So, that means using a soundhole pickup. There are quite a few of them out on the market, but I have no idea, which of them sound good (as in do a good job of faithfully reproducing the acoustic sound), or which of them are no good (end up making the guitar sound electric). Does anybody have any suggestions for a good soundhole pickup? Thanks.

Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 10-07-2015 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:11 AM

Based on your criteria, the first thing that went through my head was either the Baggs M1 or the M1A.

... JT
Old 10-07-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTFoote View Post
Based on your criteria, the first thing that went through my head was either the Baggs M1 or the M1A.

... JT
VERY intriguing! Thanks for the info.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:21 AM

The Baggs M1A has been my go-to since it came out. It may not necessarily sound just like your guitar -- to me, it sounds like an idealized studio recorded acoustic guitar.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl View Post
Hi Everybody,
Does anybody have any suggestions for a good soundhole pickup? Thanks.
Pretty much all soundhole pickups sound somewhat electric like. Don't worry about it. The Baggs M1A is a good choice. I have used one a lot in my Taylor and no one ever complained about the guitar tone. They're listening to the music, not the guitar.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

An M1A is an excellent choice. That's what I use in my two main gigging guitars. They make my Big Baby Taylor sound huge.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 10-07-2015, 06:03 PM

Default M1A used

I don't use soundhole p/u's and I just bought a used guitar and removed the M1A with the first string change. I tested it and it works fine. If interested PM me.... save a little $$...
Old 10-10-2015, 05:21 PM

I use the Dean Markley Pro-Mag Plus.
Sounds great, no feedback and won't
break the bank.

Yamaha FG700S Dread

Epiphone Joe Pass Hollowbody Electric

Epiphone Les Paul Special 1 p90's

Squier Stratocaster SE

Yamaha Thr 5 v.2 Amp

Behringer Ultracoustic AT-108 Amp

Bugera V5 Infinium Amp

Bugera 112 TS Cab

Peavey PVi 100 Microphone

Tascam DR05 Digital Recorder

Cubase AI 6
Old 10-11-2015, 04:25 PM

I've tried most all the soundhole pickups including the M1 and finally settled on the Baggs M80. To my ear it sounds better than the M1 or M1a and picks up more body resonance. I use the M80 in all of my Taylors whenever on stage; no feedback and sounds better than the Taylor ES system.
Yamaha FSX800C
Bose L1c
Schertler Jam 100
Gretsch G2655
Gretsch G5655T
Old 10-15-2015, 11:18 PM

I just ordered this,but I don't know much about pickups. I read some bad reviews on baggs,so i went with fishman,which is what is in my washburn A/E.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EMatrixBW

"In The Wind"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification