The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-28-2014, 06:29 PM

Default current projects and demo links

I put soundboxes together here in southwest New Mexico during our dry season in April, May, and June. Here are a couple that came together recently.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Also a couple of demo links :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwLZQXdzcPM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA6GFb9X29Q
Old 06-29-2014, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Gorgeous, Don....Long-time admirer of your work but only from what I've been able to read. Nice to see those clips and finally hear. Tone is RICH!!!....Robert
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 06-29-2014, 08:13 AM

Thanks Robert,

I am a bit of a recluse - no website or advertising - but a local guitar player friend shared those demo links with me and I thought it might be good to post them here.

Just a little history - I started out in the L.A. area wanting a handmade acoustic guitar after I got out of the Army in the mid 1970's. When I looked under custom guitars in the phone book Mark Whitebook's name was listed. Mark and David Russell Young worked together for awhile in Topanga Canyon and sold guitars thru Westwood Music. Mark built guitars for James Taylor and Clarence White - and David was writing a book on steel string guitar construction in addition to building instruments for many well know L.A. musicians.

I was fascinated by what Mark was doing - I asked a lot of questions and showed up at his shop frequently - probably too frequently. At a certain point he had enough and refunded my deposit and suggested that I go build a guitar on my own.

Eventually, I learned from - and made friends with - Roy Noble, David Russell Young , and Chuck Erikson - three other early L.A. builders of acoustics and banjos. They were all very generous with their time and expertise. I also bugged the hell out of my father - a master gunsmith who made replicas of early Colt handguns back in the 50's and 60's. I got thru those first few guitars and then actually started selling them thru Mc Cabes in Santa Monica and Norm's out in the Valley.

I am still fascinated and challenged by - as well as still enjoying - the work.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:10 AM

First recording presented a sonorous low mid and bottom end ... impressive .. almost a deep-body like tone. Is it? (didn't look it ..) ..
Old 06-29-2014, 11:40 AM

My OMs are just a little deeper than most. The sound hole is close to 4 inches and the braces on the bass side have been lightened....

Going the other way on this Walnut J200 - the customer wanted a slightly narrower body depth - so I'll be curious to see how that impacts the fullness and overtones on that larger body.....
Old 07-01-2014, 10:02 PM

Terrific photos, Don. I just viewed the originals in Photobucket and the definition is outstanding. Some pretty nice woods, too!

Guitar sounds great in the videos.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:45 PM

Thanks Mau - Here are a couple of links to a slideshow and the picture album of those instruments. There is a lot of enthusiasm and motivation to be down in my shop making some more guitars with these woods.....

http://s81.photobucket.com/user/donm...tar%20pictures

http://s81.photobucket.com/user/donm...tar%20pictures

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop