The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-06-2014, 09:07 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Here's yet another addition to the progress on my guitar. It's a "box" now, but when the binding is on, I'll give you some added looks at what I hope will be an amazing guitar.

Jonathan tells me that the tap is "huge".

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!

Last edited by invguy921; 05-07-2014 at 05:47 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Been waiting for an update!! Looks nice so far! Post more, please.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-12-2014, 07:22 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

The box is starting to take shape. My original objective was "a guitar that has warmth with headroom, and built "traditional" in design but "with an edge". I think this guitar will deliver on that objective. The neck and soundport will be taking shape this week. The rib rest is shown.

Last edited by invguy921; 05-13-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:50 PM

That's looking really sharp so far.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:16 PM

That end graph looks great, especially considering the number of miters in there....

I couldn't help but notice your signature mentions 'Razo # 17' coming down the pipe. Are you up for sharing what's happening with that? Is this a series of guitars you commissioned? Will these guitars be sharing a common theme?
Old 05-13-2014, 05:41 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Hunt View Post
That end graph looks great, especially considering the number of miters in there....

I couldn't help but notice your signature mentions 'Razo # 17' coming down the pipe. Are you up for sharing what's happening with that? Is this a series of guitars you commissioned? Will these guitars be sharing a common theme?
Thanks to all for the kind words. Regarding the upcoming #17, it's a long story... I really never planned to commission one guitar much less two. After much discussion and substantial thought, I decided to commission this one. Once that decision was made, the decision for the second was a natural extension of the first.

This one, as you can see is the darker, slightly larger guitar. The next will actually be Jonathan's new model which will be more of an "OM" size guitar. Mine will be a non-cutaway version with a German Spruce top and Brazilian back and sides. It will not really look like this one at all. In fact, the theme of the appointments will be more along the line of another well known builder's guitar that I saw a while back. I asked Jonathan not to copy it, but to create a similar look for me. The idea for me was to have two very different guitars to satisfy my changing moods . I believe I picked the right builder to do them as he is, as you pointed out quite talented and gifted in his work.

Optimistically the end result...two sweet guitars. The only REAL problem I have is lack of patience ha!

Last edited by invguy921; 05-16-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Mike, that looks outstanding so far! Am I correct in that I see a rib bevel but no arm bevel? Looking forward to seeing what edgy designs might be in store for the neck and headstock!! Any projected completion date?

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 05-13-2014, 10:00 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Mike, that looks outstanding so far! Am I correct in that I see a rib bevel but no arm bevel? Looking forward to seeing what edgy designs might be in store for the neck and headstock!! Any projected completion date?
Mike, Thanks for the kind words and as always your friendly encouragement. Yes, I tend to lean into the guitar a lot and as such just wanted a rib bevel. I'm really into symmetry which is why I didn't do an arm bevel on this one. I guess you could say that in this case I chose form over function. My next build will have both a rib and arm bevel assuming Jonathan can find a way to keep the overall look of the front of the guitar reasonably consistent with how it would look without one.

Regarding the word "edgy", I think I may have overstated that a bit based on some of the builds I've seen. Really, this guitar will be very traditional with Abalone diamonds on the fretboard and Jonathan's traditional headstock design. The fretboard and headstock will have some added purfling and the neck will be at least five piece laminate.

Completion date...not so sure about that one. This guitar was originally slated to be completed in late April, but heck life gets in the way sometimes. So I'm OK with it being done tomorrow...HA!...actually hopefully by the end of May.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:01 PM

It's looking good Mike! I really like that subtle rib rest!
Old 05-16-2014, 09:10 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Well, here's yet another "entry" into the continuing story.

This chapter involves the addition of a sound port and the completion of the rib bevel. The neck will be interesting as it will, I'm told, have seven...yes seven...layers of color. Can't wait to see it.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Looking really good so far...can't wait to it all come together
Old 05-17-2014, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

I can't wait until this is listed in the classifieds!! I want it. Just letting you know now, ok?

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 05-17-2014, 08:42 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Looking really good so far...can't wait to it all come together
Doug, thanks! As a guy who has had Jonathan built several guitars, you certainly have a feel for these things and have seen his guitars come together on a very personal basis. I am pretty sure that you will be the FIRST person to play MY guitar , so I'll be very anxious to hear your "take" on it.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:46 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
I can't wait until this is listed in the classifieds!! I want it. Just letting you know now, ok?
Mike, don't hold your breath...besides, you have made it clear that unless it has an arm bevel, you're out...ha!

The fact is that if this winds up in the classifieds, shoot me...I've gone crazy (some would say I'm nuts already ). Oh well, such is the fate of us acoustic folks.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Default Build Thread: Razo #16

Only kidding, Mike! Hoping you are building a guitar you'll love for life!! Really looks beautiful.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop