The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-03-2018, 02:13 AM

Default Mooer Grapic G eq. pedal?

Hi. Has anybody tried the little Mooer 5 band eq. ?

I find very few reviews on it. Doesn't seem soo popular.

I was considering an eq. pedal as a clean boost for solo playing in an acoustic duo.

So I really only new a few dbs of extra volume......no change in tone and as little hissing as possible.....therefore something like a boss ge-7 is out of the question.

Because I only need a few extra dbs I was looking for something cheap and small to fit on a small board. Just asking.

Last edited by austro1; 01-03-2018 at 04:01 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:03 AM

Austro1,
This doesn't exactly answer your question per se, but I used to have the Moore Yellow Comp pedal, obviously made by the same folks, that was a very well built and noise free pedal. I used it more for a volume boost than a compressor but still, it worked very, very well. (It might be worth looking at)

I also had a BOSS eq (7 I think...) that was VERY noisy. Interestingly, that experience moved me away from using an eq as a volume boost.

If my experience with their products is any indication, their eq will probably be a very good pedal for you.

I hope that helps,
PJ
Old 01-03-2018, 10:20 AM

If all you want to do is truly use a clean boost to make what your guitar tone is already sounding like louder, use a dedicated clean boost that will not alter any eq frequencies in your signal. The EQ pedals your talking about are built and designed to change your signal frequencies... not really make the entire signal louder. You can achieve a perceived increase in volume by boosting mids, but that isn't what your guitar was sounding like before the EQ change.

Some good dedicated clean boost pedals are: Mini's: Cusack More Louder, EP Boost (set it flat with dip switches inside), TC Electronic Spark boost, MXR Mini Boost - regular size clean boosts: Keeley Katana clean boost, Fulltone Fat Boost, Xotic RC Boost (keep gain @ lowest and just use vol), Durham Sex Drive (now in MXR size box), MXR Micro Amp clean boost. The best way to make what your guitar is sounding like louder is to use a Clean Boost, not an EQ pedal, Graphic EQ or otherwise. If you want to re-shape your guitars tone, then go with an EQ pedal to do that, then make that re-shaped tone louder with a clean boost. Good Hunting.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:51 PM

Thanks Doublescale1.

The reason I was considering an eq. was the added benefit of cutting any frequencies causing feedback. For me I think it would mostly come from the booming bass frequencies. Obviously this can also be done w/ a boost with minimal eq options.

How about if the eq pedal is set flat only using the volume for boost?

Would that not be more transparent than most boost pedals?

I don't know.

I only need a few extra dbs of boost to play ove another acoustic guitar player so looking for a super simple, little budget solution.

But actually the TC Spark mini costs even less than the Mooer graphic g..
Old 01-03-2018, 01:59 PM

BTw, Doublescale1, have you heard of the MXR CAE Line Driver?

A real good country picker told me that this pedal was the most (or one of the most), linear, transparent pedal for the acoustic out there.

I was wondering is there really a 'most transparent' boost or best boost pedal for acoustic out there or are there enough of them that do the job?

Maybe stupid question but I'm new to the world of 'boost', especially for acoustics. Never needed to cut through the mix till now since I was mostly playing solo.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification