The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-28-2017, 11:36 PM

Default Acoustic Modeling Processors and K&K Mini

There are many acoustic modeling processors designed for use with magnetic and UST pickups, but the spec sheets never mention anything about using with under the bridge plate transducers such as K&K Mini.

Any recommendations for a K&K Mini equipped guitar?
Old 12-28-2017, 11:47 PM

Tone Dexter
Old 12-29-2017, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

I used the Fishman Spectrum Aura and it works great with a K & K mini. Great sound, great reaction and very easy to work with on stage. With a sound man at open mic nights you just plug in to a mic cable and play. They work as well with under the saddle pick ups.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 12-29-2017, 08:19 AM

The new Zoom AC-2 and AC-3 work well with the K&K. The correction is subtle, but it does sound nice. I’m experimenting with the AC-2 presently. The Aura reportedly works for some people with some images. It’s evidently hit or miss. It seems the Tondexter is the best choice. James May is a proponent of K&K style pickups and certainly developed his Tondexter to work well with them.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:44 AM

I’m curious what works with the Pure Mini too. The various options of Aura are designed to work with USTs but I’ve heard reports of good results with SBTs like the Pure Mini too.

I’ve also heard great things about the Tone Dexter which because the user creates the images together with a mic and the unit it is well suited to the Pure Mini.

I’m also keen to try TC’s Bodyrez which simulates a guitar’s own resonance and adds it to the pickup (which reproduces mainly string vibrations and not the rest of the guitar’s contribution to the sound we hear). On demos the Bodyrez sounds very impressive and may be all that is needed to give that extra something live.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 12-30-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
I’m curious what works with the Pure Mini too. The various options of Aura are designed to work with USTs but I’ve heard reports of good results with SBTs like the Pure Mini too.

I’ve also heard great things about the Tone Dexter which because the user creates the images together with a mic and the unit it is well suited to the Pure Mini.

I’m also keen to try TC’s Bodyrez which simulates a guitar’s own resonance and adds it to the pickup (which reproduces mainly string vibrations and not the rest of the guitar’s contribution to the sound we hear). On demos the Bodyrez sounds very impressive and may be all that is needed to give that extra something live.

Here are things that I’ve tried with K&K with reasonable success. I don’t own the Aura pedal.

Zoom A3
Zoom AC-2
TC Bodyrez Pedal
TC Play Acoustic

I’m presently waiting on the arrival of the Tonedexter I ordered.

I was able to mimic the BodyRez effect using a digital mixer with parametric EQ, high and low filters, compression, and ambiance Reverb effect. It worked well too.

I also find that anything that works well with K&K tends to sound good with ES2. ES2 is an incremental improvement on K&K to my ears. The onboard control makes it more useful without outboard equipment.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification